Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
JuanjoTS

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

ALO has competed exceptionally, I am proud to be Spanish. 👌💪👏

SameSame

Just_a_fan wrote:
28 May 2017, 22:06
SameSame wrote:
28 May 2017, 22:04
I think Alonso will have Honda pole bearers at his funeral... So they can let him down one last time
He wouldn't get to the grave as they'd drop him before they got there... :lol:
Yeah no doubt :lol:

GP2 pole bearer GP2!

erlik

Great and fun race to watch. Glad that all drivers are Ok after carshes. I just can not believe that bad Honda karma Alonso has... although I doubt he could win this he had great shot at it. And I can not believe that there are people claiming he is mediocre driver...

Congratulations to Sato.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

hollus

I shouted the loudest noooooooooooooooooo! (check my avatar).
Amazing, he almost made it, but realistically, he barely had a chance to make those six overtakes. Can you imagine if had caught Castroneves and Sato with 3 laps to go?
And well done honda, they won the race after all. Unfortunately, the perfect engine for this race is one that keeps you in front and maybe, maybe breaks down. Those Chevys were clearly overdesigned.
Looking forward to take 2 in the 2020 Indy500.
Rivals, not enemies.

flynfrog

Fernando did everything right just let down by the engine. Well done Fred.

I really enjoyed watching the race. It was a lot of fun watching the race with the F1 Tech crew in chat many of their first oval race.

Excellent drive by Sato kept his cool and put himself in the lead at the right time.

nevill3

Alonso had every chance to win, he was racing Sato just before his engine failure.

This was my first Indy race and first oval, I am sure many others have watched for the first time too, all down to Alonso and McLaren deciding to mix things up for us =P~
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Postmoe

dren wrote:
28 May 2017, 18:12
Postmoe wrote:
28 May 2017, 11:50
dren wrote:
26 May 2017, 20:39

The media is not to be trusted. We were built on immigration. Trump is all for immigration, as long as it's legal.
Three years ago I was told, at flagstaff, that I wasn't suposed to be there. That happened while asking for directions at a gas station, and the first girl I tried to ask for help ran to her car as soon as she saw me. Like in a zombie movie, but I was only somehow a kind of hipster in pink shorts driving a new Focus and not familiar with U.S octanes standards. No blood on my lips.

The guy that told me that, he couldn't even grasp the fact that somebody from spain could be a tourist. He was refusing to believe "we've got a lot of trouble here", he said. Not unfriendly though, just very, very confused.

So, while the majority of people on my trip through Arizona were über-nice, always asking about my Ducati cap (they were really into caps it seems), MAN, that weird moment at the gas station was quite something and tells something about being "all for immigration as long it's legal".

I mean... yes and no. It's seems to me it's quite an huge country, very variable.
Yeah, it varies where you are. Arizona is probably the size of Spain, and it is one of 50 states! Hats/caps are big in the states, so are sports shoes. Not sure what you'd refer to them as?
Me refering to my cap? "Sun protector". I didn't get you there.

void

F1 engine! F1! Argh!

mclaren111

nevill3 wrote:
28 May 2017, 23:09
Alonso had every chance to win, he was racing Sato just before his engine failure.

This was my first Indy race and first oval, I am sure many others have watched for the first time too, all down to Alonso and McLaren deciding to mix things up for us =P~
My first Indy too. First time that it was shown live in South Africa. Actually liked it !!! :D :shock: :D

FW17

Somehow he kind of got stuck behind Chilton and Kannan, had a lot of trouble in passing those two.

Was really worried for his safety when he had to do a restart from 9 near lap 140. That re start was real pack race them going 3 4 wide. Then he started cutting through the corners mid way, it looked bad. Glad he survived.

WaikeCU

FW17 wrote:
29 May 2017, 07:31
Somehow he kind of got stuck behind Chilton and Kannan, had a lot of trouble in passing those two.

Was really worried for his safety when he had to do a restart from 9 near lap 140. That re start was real pack race them going 3 4 wide. Then he started cutting through the corners mid way, it looked bad. Glad he survived.
Not sure where Fernando would have ended, but he was running 7th with somewhat 25+ laps to go and Helio was a couple cars in front running 4th. Knowing the Andretti cars running more wing than others, he might have ended around 3rd-4th I think. Running more wing is beneficial running in the pack, but not in front of the pack.

What separates the best from the best? If not for raw speed, smart driving and patience, then spatial awareness is one of those traits that the best have. If you saw that Conor Daly moment, then you would understand what I mean. That's a combination of a lack of patience and spatial awareness. Who was in the mix? Helio. Where did he finish? Exactly. Patience, it's something that really is needed to win the Indy500. Chilton has learned a lot about being patient I heard from the race commentators. He was actually nowhere to be seen in the early beginning, but then was leading in the latter stages. The car was just not as quick as Helio's and Takuma's. That's what got away from him.

Vasconia

I was sad for him when I saw the eninge blowing up. Those Honda engines perhaps don´t like Alonso... :roll:

Anyway, he was doing an awesome race, it was difficult to win the race but at least his performance was more than enough to conclude that the experience was worth of it.

graham.reeds

Never thought i'd hear 'Max Chilton leads...' after his time in F1 and he led for a good number of laps.

toraabe

And he will come back next year. Would be nice if others also joined Alonso. Battle between Alonso, Hamilton Raikkonen and so on.

Another thing is that Monaco GP is just driving in ring without the opportunity to overtake.
Quite boring actually
How many leaders did vi have at Indy 500 ?

J.A.W.

After watching pole-man Scott Dixon's huge crash, it is pleasing - that he was not more badly injured..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).