Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

waynes

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

enjoying watching this cheers :)

adrianjordan

Why oh why couldn't that have been the F1 livery this year as well??
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

torpor

adrianjordan wrote:
03 May 2017, 21:28
Why oh why couldn't that have been the F1 livery this year as well??
I really don't understand. It's so much better in so many ways. Amd it would be so easy to adapt. Mostly identical sponsors.

George-Jung

How did he do? As a Indy500 Rookie?

dans79

George-Jung wrote:
03 May 2017, 23:22
How did he do? As a Indy500 Rookie?
He passed all the tests and his fastest lap was 222.548 mph. He did very well, considering he did less than 100 laps, is running a de-tuned engine, and doesn't have a dialed in car.
197 104 103 7

radosav

What is dialed in car?

dans79

radosav wrote:
03 May 2017, 23:43
What is dialed in car?
A car that's got a good set-up. The set-up today was less than ideal do to the temperatures and wind conditions.

I should add the PETA will be after him for this. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_4W9P77AtQ
197 104 103 7

ClarkBT11

Just watched all the testing, the Americans are very excited and enthusiastic and have a great respect for Alonso as a driver. The reporter asked how it felt going into the corners at 227 mph Alonso replied I wanted to have my foot flat but my brain was telling it to lift off, the reporter was very surprised with how honest he was and said it was very classy for him to be so open. Alonso hasn't smiled so much in 3 years. Is the race going to be streamed live on youtube for free?

@ radosav a dialed car is an english expression that the driver has the perfect setup to suit his driving style, today they weren't concentrating on performance.

radosav

Ok, thanks.

Phillyred

I watched most of it. It was pretty entertaining as an American F1 fan who doesn't really follow NASCAR or IndyCar these days. The press conference at the end was funny. A reporter asked if it was more fun/relaxed to drive these cars since they are so much less technically complicated. He said something like "You just flip a switch and drive!" Funny how Honda can be so highly regarded in IndyCar and just be so awful in F1. I mean sure, the complexities of the hybrid engine definitely has them stumped, but still the contrast is crazy.

iotar__

Wasn't Alonso complaining that last year's F1 cars weren't quick, manly and fun enough to drive? How can this toy Indy car :wink: be 'fun' then? This is how much those uncompromising opinions of pure racers are worth. Zero.

marmer

iotar__ wrote:
04 May 2017, 00:41
Wasn't Alonso complaining that last year's F1 cars weren't quick, manly and fun enough to drive? How can this toy Indy car :wink: be 'fun' then? This is how much those uncompromising opinions of pure racers are worth. Zero.
Indy Cars go quit fast he did 15 laps with an speed of over 215 mph, the cars will feel fast in the corners.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05- ... o-IMS-test

his opinion that the old cars where to easy to drive and not physically demanding still stands. much higher cornering speeds and sheer number of cars will give alonsos body and mind a good work out in indy

basti313

I think it is very interesting to see Alonso in the Indy 500. I will definitely try to watch as much as possible. There are numerous drivers who did not do well in F1 but are shining in the US motorsports. So this will be very interesting to see a top F1 driver in Indy.

For McLaren I do not understand the move at all. They are well behind Sauber at the moment and need to get ahead for the price money from FOM. I can not see a marketing advantage by Alo in Indy covering these millions of dollars. The Monaco GP with Alonso in the car is a good chance to score a point if the chassis is ok. If they do not take this chance then they can only hope for a very chaotic race in Brazil or Singapore as Sauber has already a 11th place.
Don`t russel the hamster!