Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
torpor

Re: Alonso, McLaren, and Indycar

Jolle wrote:
05 May 2017, 09:38
Is the "Fernando Alonso" in the "days of thunder cursif" typeface a big f-u to Ron Dennis? If he was dead he would turn in his grave....

Somehow I don't get it, this would have been an excellent chance to have the same livery (and helmet) as their F1 car, to make maximum use of the marketing. Now they go with some kind of retro McLaren look... (or it's just the testing livery)
Every car that has not to wear the 2017 McLaren F1 livery is a good car.

I wish they adapt the Indy livery to the F1 car!

Jolle

torpor wrote:
05 May 2017, 10:24
Jolle wrote:
Is the "Fernando Alonso" in the "days of thunder cursif" typeface a big f-u to Ron Dennis? If he was dead he would turn in his grave....

Somehow I don't get it, this would have been an excellent chance to have the same livery (and helmet) as their F1 car, to make maximum use of the marketing. Now they go with some kind of retro McLaren look... (or it's just the testing livery)

I agree with you on that, apart from the drivers name lettering, that is awful.

my comment about having the same livery was not an ecstatic one but a marketing comment ;-)

Even last years was better then the current orange mclaren "swoosh"

Shakeman

You can watch the full 6:42:36 of Alonso's Indy Test.

F1 could learn a lot from the fact they're going to this trouble to cover this test and to make the whole thing available free for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXh9uxthFnk

torpor

Jolle wrote:
05 May 2017, 12:03
torpor wrote:
05 May 2017, 10:24
Jolle wrote:

I agree with you on that, apart from the drivers name lettering, that is awful.

my comment about having the same livery was not an ecstatic one but a marketing comment ;-)

Even last years was better then the current orange mclaren "swoosh"
From the marketing point of view it would be better to use the same livery for both cars. I agree. It's never too late to change the F1 livery. Would be cool
If they'd use the retro Indy look in Monaco.

Driver's name lettering could be better.

nokivasara

I agree about the livery, why not use the same as in F1?

I just watched some Indy videos on youtube and can't think of anything other than the look of the cars, they are hideous IMO.
Oh well, all the best to Alonso, I hope he makes it to the finish line!

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zac510

Maybe they'll have a bunch of ex-Indy McLarens at the circuit and the current Indycar livery provides a great connection with that.
I don't think Indycar or F1 fans are so stupid that just because the livery on the car is different to the F1 car they won't think it's the same [McLaren] entity. People are smart and if they're not, the commentators will point it out ad nauseum for them.

Everything about marketing doesn't have to be perfect pieces of puzzle that fit together and make a square with no rough edges with all the spreadsheet columns totalling up perfectly. Often rough edges, irrationality and emotion make for even better marketing.

torpor

In the upshot everybody including me just tries to find a cause to change McLaren's actual F1 livery. ;)

It's hard to understand how a company that's able to create such a cool livery for Indy runs such a obnoxious one in their main business...

Andres125sx

Sorry but I can´t get what do you like about this livery so much...

It´s not new
It´s not unique
It´s not a thorough design, but an only solid color

I´d call it dull, it misses any originality

How do we paint the car?
Orange
Solid? Nothing special to be different?
Ok, paint it Papaya and stop disturbing me
:roll: #-o

torpor

:)

Should we add arbitrary unmotivated black areas with white outlines to make the actually nice car look completely weird?
Good idea. What else do you have?
I've seen the traditional McLaren orange tint. But I think we should make it completely different. Let's use paint that looks ochre-brown in daylight.
I don't mind. It's just a transition year. But keep your hands off Alonso's Indy Car!

a1b2i3r45

PlatinumZealot wrote:
05 May 2017, 03:57
Because of the brand damage Honda has endured in F1, rumours say they will ensure that Fernando wins Indy by giving him a "special engine. "

I think this one could be true?
No special engine, please. Don't want anything special from Honda.
All kidding aside, what does that even mean? More boost/ better fuel economy? Also, what is the realistic chance of Alonso winning? His pace of 222 mph wasn't that impressive and he wasn't using the whole track either, seemed a bit afraid of the wall.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah. I dont follow indy car but memories from playing indycar games as a kid finding the fast line is sometimes counterintuitive. His line and his speed may not have been balls to the wall (pun intended) but at least Mario seemed to be impressed.. He said Alonso's run "perfect"

Kudos to Alonso for even doing this though. It must be hard to swtich off the F1 side of the brain and take up this challenge.

I have a bit of concern though. Will the other drivers bully him in the race?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

a1b2i3r45

Yeah, I am afraid the Indy drivers will try to show the world that they are as good as an F1 driver. But, unlike F1 his 5 teammates will try to help him if he has a chance to win; interestingly though Alonso may have to help one of his teammates too if they have a chance to win. So, it's a double-edged sword. He will have a spotter too and he still has 60 hours of practice left.

mertol

I have no concerns about his lines and his speed it's just going flat out after all. Drafting and driving in traffic is what might be a challenge IMO.

Imagine his face if he retires with a car problem :D.

marmer

mertol wrote:I have no concerns about his lines and his speed it's just going flat out after all. Drafting and driving in traffic is what might be a challenge IMO.

Imagine his face if he retires with a car problem :D.
Team radio "F1 engine F1 engine (angry raw)"

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk