Nobby (Derek) Clark, mechanic extraordinaire - vale and Rest in Peace

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Nobby (Derek) Clark, mechanic extraordinaire - vale and Rest in Peace

it is important to mention the passing of one of the great mechanics of this sport.
His contribution helped the progress of motor racing at a critical time.
Motor racing is a small part of this world, but when one steps into it there is such a depth to it.
It is multi dimensional in that there are many 'classes' and then each one has all those that contribute.
From the peddlers who make new laws of physics and bravery and endurance to the designers, enablers by decision making with finance to the ones that actually create the machines by designing and then building and 'tuning'.
Then there is the multiplier of time. And the last dimension is the breadth of the world, so many countries have participated which probably gave rise to the concept of the Grand Prix.

The way I see it is there were the formative years (wonderfully written by people like Joe Sayward) that began in the 19th century and went through two world wars where the next phase happened.
And that could be looked on as the purist era, where the motivation and more importantly the money was entirely different to the modern era. This was from post WW2 through to the 1980's when money and a new version of 'professionalism' was introduced taking us up to the present.

This purist era can be characterised by the people involved learning by trial and error and flashes of revelation and hard, very hard work. All with very little security, spasmodic money and rare real rewards.
It was mainly during this era that Nobby Clark plied his trade (as they say) an understatement if ever there was one.
I am hoping others "in here" know more about Nobby and his involvement with cars, but my experience relates to racing motorbikes. I think he had something to do with Williams, maybe in the F2 days?? He did have connections at Lotus and Fittipaldi.

He first and foremost was a gentleman, as well as a consummate mechanic whose preparation skills and ultra reliable tuning skills put him at the very top. He was generous with help, knowledge and experience.He was humble and good natured in doing all these things and over many years. He went shooting in his native South Africa...with a camera.
This was shown in many ways, not the least by being recruited (with/by?) Kel Carruthers for the great Kenny Roberts alongside Trevor Tilbury.

Nobby (to the best of my knowledge) was the only mechanic inducted into the American AMA Hall of Fame.
An incident regarding this is worth mentioning because it highlights the respect and regard Nobby was given notwithstanding the behaviour of those who should know better.
(Disclaimer - from what i know...) His contribution to motor racing was recognised by being inducted but then by knee jerk reaction it was withdrawn due to shortsightedness when someone misused the law when they should not have.
They did not pay Nobby for services rendered and he took his recompense.

Eventually the truth came out, BUT what was significant is that, to his honour, the great Kenny Roberts gave the AMA an ultimatum that: reinstate Nobby or Kenny would withdraw from the AMA and all that entails.
Fortunately the AMA saw their error and reinstated Nobby, the only person to ever be inducted twice !
So, rest in peace Nobby, you have made the world a better place from when you came into it.

Added some paragraphs to make it easier to read. ~flynfrog