2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
johnny comelately

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

The FIM stewards decide to penalise Marquez 3 positions on the starting grid for impeding Viñales

Andres125sx

Viñales on top again.... Lorenzo ahead of Dovi... What´s happening in Austin? :mrgreen:

etusch

Vinales also good at austin like MM93.

F1NAC

Check this out. Horrible

johnny comelately

F1NAC wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 20:52
Check this out. Horrible

https://i.imgur.com/0OqfGZQ.jpg
and all the grinding dust was not cleaned up, substandard

GPR-A duplicate2

All those riders who criticized Marquez in last race, should be happy to see a calm and disciplined Marquez in this race. :lol:

JonoNic

That was the most F1 like Motogp race. 🤣🤣

Always find the gap then use it.

NathanOlder

JonoNic wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 21:48
That was the most F1 like Motogp race. 🤣🤣
Yeah, when ever F1 has a bad race, many people bang on about how good motoGP is. Well, this race was terrible, boring through the whole race. Highlight for me was Jackass shoving the 99 out the way (and not a 93 style shove, this was a legal shove)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

johnny comelately

Iannone's Suzuki had the stick at the start surprisingly!
one of the problems his bike developed was rear braking slipper clutch setting I think
explained very well here by scott redding in this Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyKsF0nImsY

you can see why marquez was stoners protege, his braking and corner speed a class above.
honda suspension working perfectly even if it was tossing him out of the seat courtesy of texas bumps.
nice respect for carrying nicky hayden tribute flag.

GPR-A duplicate2

johnny comelately wrote:
22 Apr 2018, 21:55
you can see why marquez was stoners protege, his braking and corner speed a class above.
I am not sure why you say "Stoner's protege". They have no connection. I have heard some folks here talking very highly of Stoner. Sorry, but he was one of those good riders, but nothing legendary. In 12 years of his motorbike racing career, including Moto 2 and 3, he won a meager 2 titles. Whereas MM has won 6 titles in 10 years across those categories. To me, MM is more in the league of Schumacher, in the sense that he can fight for championship and win, even when he doesn't necessarily have the best machinery. In my opinion, Stoner was overrated.

The fact that he chose to retire, considering the dangers of motor racing, to me says, he was probably not the most passionate riders. There are those F1 drivers and then MotoGP riders, all they want to do is race. They make the sport special.

JonoNic

GPR-A wrote:
johnny comelately wrote:
I am not sure why you say "Stoner's protege". They have no connection. I have heard some folks here talking very highly of Stoner. Sorry, but he was one of those good riders, but nothing legendary. In 12 years of his motorbike racing career, including Moto 2 and 3, he won a meager 2 titles. Whereas MM has won 6 titles in 10 years across those categories. To me, MM is more in the league of Schumacher, in the sense that he can fight for championship and win, even when he doesn't necessarily have the best machinery. In my opinion, Stoner was overrated.

The fact that he chose to retire, considering the dangers of motor racing, to me says, he was probably not the most passionate riders. There are those F1 drivers and then MotoGP riders, all they want to do is race. They make the sport special.
Maybe Stoner is more like Rosberg?

Always find the gap then use it.

GPR-A duplicate2

JonoNic wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 14:39
GPR-A wrote:
johnny comelately wrote:

Maybe Stoner is more like Rosberg?
Exactly! I got the same thought, but didn't put it here.

johnny comelately

GPR-A wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 14:36
johnny comelately wrote:

With respect:
There was a substantial 'connection' between Casey and Marquez behind the scenes, probably still is.
This is quite apparent if one can recognise riding styles and nuances.
I cannot agree with you using statistics (Mark Twain - "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.") to criticise one of the best riders ever to race a bike.
Looking at his races, he was so quick, taking two wheel drifting to a level no other could and on a Ducarti, a bike that no one else could go as quick on.
If one understands racing properly you will identify one of the key components in going quick, and Marc and Casey have that in common.
If one has been involved in racing, the politics is the worst aspect and in that sense only you could join the dots between Casey and Nico. And I can assure you that as an example, your type of criticism is one of those reasons Casey retired.
Most knowledgeable pundits rated Casey Stoner as one of the best.

nacho

Marquez always has half a second on everyone in COTA and Honda is better this season. Let's see if the others can challenge them in Europe. Might be possible as Yamaha seem to have found their way again and this was probably Ducati's worst track.

Nonserviam85

GPR-A wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 14:36
johnny comelately wrote:

If you ever chat with any MotoGP people, everyone will agree that Stoner was legendary material. He just wasn't motivated or obsessed with victory, he just wanted to enjoy racing. Compare him to Kimi, same mentality.