2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Andres125sx

Re: 2018 FIM Moto GP World Championship

I´m glad for Lorenzo, even when as a person he looks like a complete idiot :lol:

He insisted repeatedly in spanish tv about how many times he´s been asking his team to modify some ergonomic parts of the bike so he can ride more confortable, opposite to his team requiring him to modify his riding style :-P

He said they had modified something on the bike so the engine is more smooth now, and here in Mugello they´ve installed a piece in the tank so he can brake and enter the corners more relaxed, without making a continuous effort wich in the end was too tiring and that was the reason he couldn´t keep the pace in past GPs

Now that his return to Yamaha is done, his first victory with Ducati.... He must be wondering about a third season with the italians...

J.A.W.

Yeah, I'd already noted a couple of pages back, J.L. expressed his ergonomic concerns, post French G.P...
& it seems like Ducati did successfully address them, so kudos to them, too..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

NathanOlder

At LLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG LAST

Honda are dropping Dani Pedrosa!

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ ... 9-1044566/

Question is, who will replace him :?:

I would love to see, Miller or Cal given a go, If Cal could stop crashing, then he would be a dead cert. I feel Morbidelli will be a great rider in a year or 2.

The decent riders in MotoGP available for next year at the moment seem to be Lorenzo, Petrucci & Miller. Crutchlow is tied up at LCR until the end of 2019, But as its a Honda partner I am sure Cal could be taken from LCR to go to HRC. Plus the article says Honda are dropping Dani from their Factory Line up. So a straight swap for Cal makes that happen with Dani staying in the Honda Family. Otherwise its WSB and Honda are no where near the front in that.

SO my money is on a Cal-Dani swap for 2019 [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 08:57
He said they had modified something on the bike so the engine is more smooth now, and here in Mugello they´ve installed a piece in the tank so he can brake and enter the corners more relaxed, without making a continuous effort wich in the end was too tiring and that was the reason he couldn´t keep the pace in past GPs
Now I am ready to believe that Lorenzo is probably the greatest rider on the planet (of course, along with Dovi), as he has won a GP in a DIFFICULT Ducati! :lol:

Muniix

GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:02
Muniix wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:42
GPR-A wrote:
23 Apr 2018, 14:36
I am not sure why you say "Stoner's protege". They have no connection. I have heard some folks here talking very highly of Stoner. Sorry, but he was one of those good riders, but nothing legendary. In 12 years of his motorbike racing career, including Moto 2 and 3, he won a meager 2 titles. Whereas MM has won 6 titles in 10 years across those categories. To me, MM is more in the league of Schumacher, in the sense that he can fight for championship and win, even when he doesn't necessarily have the best machinery. In my opinion, Stoner was overrated.

The fact that he chose to retire, considering the dangers of motor racing, to me says, he was probably not the most passionate riders. There are those F1 drivers and then MotoGP riders, all they want to do is race. They make the sport special.
You are quoting no numbers, facts or relevant external factors. Casey can and does when he hops on the Ducati set the best time for a now non-full time rider are the kind of facts to take into consideration as evidenced by Lorenzo's quote "we learn nothing new of Casey's talent'. He was the 'Only' rider able to not only ride the 'un-ridable' ducati but take a championship on it. Every other rider couldn't understand how this was possible, every other rider.
And he couldn't repeat that success of 'un-ridable' ducati of 2007, in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Neither could he understand the bike in those years like he did in 2007. If someone cannot repeat the success they enjoyed once, it means fluke! And Stoner never repeated his feat. Like I said in one of my earlier post, Stoner's 2007 was just like Jenson Button's 2009. Sometimes it's just the aura that people create, a smoke screen more than the actual material itself.

He goes to Ducati in 2007, a first year in Ducati and wins it. He never wins again. The 2007 "Ducati GP 7" was built by someone else's feedback and he wins that year. When he actually provides the feedback to build 2008, 2009 and 2010 bikes, he can't win. I would say, his feedback made the Ducati become worse. 2007 (10 wins), in 2008 (6 wins), 2009 (4 wins) and 2010 (3 wins).

Deja Vu. He goes to Honda in 2011, a first year in Honda and wins it. The 2011 "Honda RC212V" was built by someone else's feedback and he wins that year. When he actually provides the feedback to build 2012, he can't win again!
That is amazing!

Good riders/drivers help build better machinery. He has been testing for Ducati for the past year and this, what has Ducati achieved with his inputs?
Again you are only stating opinions that contradict the well known facts.

The Ducati GP carbon fiber bike with no progressive rigidity was not advancing in development, Ducati refused development of the fundamental design, while every other bike was improving, it was Casey's ability to ride it and the engineers in able to convince Ducati to work on progressive rigidity in the carbon fiber frame, required due to the way telescopic forks work, they're unsupported beams worse with a rotating mass and sliding tubes, braking, steering and suspension forces all negatively impact on each other. No other vehicle has such bad handling dynamics. Ducati and Ohlins now have implemented progressive rigidity into the CF forks by controlling the direction and density of the filament.
It is well known injury and accidents not his ability to communicate to engineers or ride caused the major issue, again this is well known, for instance a high side from traction control setup in practice causing major squat on corner exit, his team making an error in a setup change.
Last edited by Muniix on 05 Jun 2018, 14:25, edited 2 times in total.

NathanOlder

@GPRA

Neither have won a championship on a difficult ducati though, so it seems like you are sitting on your face again buddy.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

GPR-A duplicate2

Muniix wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 14:17
GPR-A wrote:
14 May 2018, 09:02
Muniix wrote:
13 May 2018, 22:42

You are quoting no numbers, facts or relevant external factors. Casey can and does when he hops on the Ducati set the best time for a now non-full time rider are the kind of facts to take into consideration as evidenced by Lorenzo's quote "we learn nothing new of Casey's talent'. He was the 'Only' rider able to not only ride the 'un-ridable' ducati but take a championship on it. Every other rider couldn't understand how this was possible, every other rider.
And he couldn't repeat that success of 'un-ridable' ducati of 2007, in 2008, 2009 and 2010. Neither could he understand the bike in those years like he did in 2007. If someone cannot repeat the success they enjoyed once, it means fluke! And Stoner never repeated his feat. Like I said in one of my earlier post, Stoner's 2007 was just like Jenson Button's 2009. Sometimes it's just the aura that people create, a smoke screen more than the actual material itself.

He goes to Ducati in 2007, a first year in Ducati and wins it. He never wins again. The 2007 "Ducati GP 7" was built by someone else's feedback and he wins that year. When he actually provides the feedback to build 2008, 2009 and 2010 bikes, he can't win. I would say, his feedback made the Ducati become worse. 2007 (10 wins), in 2008 (6 wins), 2009 (4 wins) and 2010 (3 wins).

Deja Vu. He goes to Honda in 2011, a first year in Honda and wins it. The 2011 "Honda RC212V" was built by someone else's feedback and he wins that year. When he actually provides the feedback to build 2012, he can't win again!
That is amazing!

Good riders/drivers help build better machinery. He has been testing for Ducati for the past year and this, what has Ducati achieved with his inputs?
Again you are only stating opinions that contradict the well known facts.

The Ducati GP carbon fiber bike with no progressive rigidity was not advancing in development, Ducati refused development of the fundamental design, while every other bike was improving, it was Casey's ability to ride it and the engineers in able to convince Ducati to work on progressive rigidity in the carbon fiber frame, required due to the way telescopic forks work, they're unsupported beams worse with a rotating mass and sliding tubes, braking, steering and suspension forces all negatively impact on each other. No other vehicle has such bad handling dynamics. Ducati and Ohlins now have implemented progressive rigidity into the CF forks by controlling the direction and density of the filament.
It is well known injury and accidents not his ability to communicate to engineers or ride caused the major issue, again this is well known, for instance a high side from traction control setup in practice causing major squat on corner exit, his team making an error in a setup change.
This s*** is done for me. I did provided some good insights in my previous post on that. No more arguments on this.

GPR-A duplicate2

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 14:17
@GPRA

Neither have won a championship on a difficult ducati though, so it seems like you are sitting on your face again buddy.
If one freak season is good enough for some, then even one race is enough for some others. :lol:

Nonserviam85

Lorenzo to HRC... This will be interesting. Let's see how Marquez will handle the competition.

digitalrurouni

If Lorenzo thought riding the Ducati was hard I think he will be in for a shocker at HRC.

NathanOlder

Nonserviam85 wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 17:50
Lorenzo to HRC... This will be interesting. Let's see how Marquez will handle the competition.
As long as Lorenzo is at his best and not the rubbish Lorenzo of the last few years
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

etusch

digitalrurouni wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 18:41
If Lorenzo thought riding the Ducati was hard I think he will be in for a shocker at HRC.
At least he can brake as he used to

nacho

Going against Marquez into his team and riding his bike. Lorenzo doesn't lack self belief.

digitalrurouni

nacho wrote:
05 Jun 2018, 20:20
Going against Marquez into his team and riding his bike. Lorenzo doesn't lack self belief.
I applaud his self belief but I dare say the HRC is a harder bike to ride to get the most out of it. Case in point is Marc's over the top riding style!