WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
AMG.Tzan

Re: WEC 2020 Tech Regulations - Hypercar Regulations

Where are the Hypercars? These look like the prototypes we have today...

The idea was to have race versions of LaFerraris, Sennas, 918s, Valkyries, AMG ONEs etc...

Anyway...both ByKolles and Peugeot don't have road going Hypercars...

So what will Aston Martin do eventually?? Any news??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

graham.reeds

The problem is firms will read the rules and build a car that conforms to the rules but is purely aero performant and thus look the same - essentially returning us to the logical extreme of the homologation specials of the late 90's.

To me a hypercar is one I can take to 200+ mph and then go to the drive through at Maccy D's. Can you do that in the ByKolles? I don't think there will be a single road going ByKolles car.

The easiest way to get a field of Bugatti's, Keonigseggs, etc. is for the ACO to invite them to race and for a season waive the entrance fee.

jjn9128

M
AMG.Tzan wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 01:27
My understanding is that only Toyota and Glickenhaus (sp?) are planning on entering under the hypercar rules. The others are entering under the new homologation to match the Daytona prototypes. Might be wrong about that. Seems like F1 they made the rules to conform to interest from loads of manufacturers who then decided it wasn't for them.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Xwang

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 12:44
M
AMG.Tzan wrote:
My understanding is that only Toyota and Glickenhaus (sp?) are planning on entering under the hypercar rules. The others are entering under the new homologation to match the Daytona prototypes. Might be wrong about that. Seems like F1 they made the rules to conform to interest from loads of manufacturers who then decided it wasn't for them.
Moreover the Hypercar rules permit to develop prototypes too.

Morteza

Toyota ran a lap with their Hypercar prototype today at Le Mans

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Morteza

On track

Last edited by Morteza on 20 Sep 2020, 01:20, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wb92

jjn9128 wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 12:44
M
AMG.Tzan wrote:
To make things clear with upcoming new set of rules for both FIA WEC and IMSA:
- The combined convergence of the rules between the FIA WEC and IMSA cars will make the whole group of the cars named "Hypercars" and both are supposed to run in FIA WEC and IMSA races within the same BoP (Balance of Performance)
- Under FIA WEC 2021 ruleset there will be: LMH, Grandfathered LMP1 (only for 2021), LMP2
- Under IMSA: LMDh, LMP2
- LMH cars can be build around bespoke prototype chassis or chassis based on existing high performance car
- LMDh cars can be build around 1 of 4 homologated LMP2 chassis (Oreca/Ligier/Dallara/Riley-Multimatic), with OEM looks

TL;DR: Whoever joins WEC LMH needs to build own new chassis or base on existing road car chassis, whoever joins IMSA LMDh must build a car around LMP2 chassis manufacturer

Hope that helps :)

Morteza wrote:
19 Sep 2020, 15:56
Toyota ran a lap with their Hypercar prototype today at Le Mans

For me this car needs further work to be legal for LMH (splitter rules), so I can say that this version is road high performance car based on current TS050 LMP1.
MVRC - WBRacing

Scorpaguy

2 words:

1. Gross
2. ...let me think of another one

graham.reeds

Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Bugatti* and race it?

Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Pagani* and race it?

Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Keonigsegg* and race it?

*Obviously movable aero will need to be replaced with fixed versions.

wb92

graham.reeds wrote:
20 Sep 2020, 01:55
Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Bugatti* and race it?

Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Pagani* and race it?

Under the current hyper car rules could I fit a roll cage to a Keonigsegg* and race it?

*Obviously movable aero will need to be replaced with fixed versions.
You cannot just simply put roll cage to carbon chassis. There's set of the rules required to meet proper safety levels. Also if chassis "can be based on road car" doesn't mean that LMH and road car would share exactly the same chassis (like it was with for example road and GTLM version of Ford GT)
MVRC - WBRacing

VARIANT | one

They all look like cheap kit-car knockoffs of proper prototypes. Also reminds me of the old 'Daytona Prototype' shitboxes. I hate them. :roll:

Morteza

Peugeot reveals powertrain details for 2022 Hypercar

Motorsport.com wrote:Peugeot WEC powertrain director François Coudrain said: “The architecture of the Peugeot Hybrid4 500kW powertrain is the result of a highly-detailed brief shaped by the new FIA WEC regulations.

“We initially considered a single turbo, but that would have prevented us from achieving our engine’s centre of gravity target. A twin-turbo V6 block offers the best trade-off between technology, weight, packaging of the engine’s ancillaries, reliability and performance."
Peugeot's engine will produce more than 680bhp (500kW) and will power the four-wheel-drive LMH together with a with a 272bhp (200kW) front-axle motor-generator unit developed at the marque's motorsport headquarters on the outskirts of Paris.

The 165kg internal combustion engine powers the rear wheels through a seven-speed sequential gearbox and the electric motor the fronts.

The total power delivered by the hybrid powertrain must not exceed 680bhp at any one time except when the motor-generator unit is retrieving energy at the end of the straights, when an increase of three percent to 700bhp is allowed.

“The motor generator unit will be equipped with a lightweight, high-efficiency single-speed transmission and a latest-generation inverter to transfer battery power to the motor,” said Coudrain.

“It will have the capacity to use all the energy available in the battery instantly thanks to the powertrain’s energy management system strategies."

Coudrain explained that the Peugeot parent company the PSA Group's experience in the World Rally Championship and in Formula E with the DS brand would be employed in development of the car's software strategies.

The Peugeot's 900V high-density battery is being developed in conjunction with Saft, a subsidiary of Peugeot's lubricant partner Total.

Saft chief technical officer Kamen Nechev said: “The main parameter will be to optimise how the energy stored in the battery is used.

“To achieve this, you need an extremely short charge-time combined with high-capacity storage cells to form a package that enables maximum power to be delivered as rapidly as possible.”

The battery will be located in a carbon casing inside the new Peugeot's monocoque as per the LMH regulations.

Peugeot had already announced that its aerodynamic partner for the LMH project is Ligier Automotive.

The powertrain will begin bench testing in the first half of 2021 ahead of the Peugeot LMH car beginning testing at the end of the year.

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:02
I'm confused, this hypercar regulation is about as clear as UK government policy, I thought they had to be proper 2-seaters again?!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 18:10
Morteza wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 16:02
I'm confused, this hypercar regulation is about as clear as UK government policy, I thought they had to be proper 2-seaters again?!
I asume this picture is as accurate as the official mercedes 2014 powertrain images of the time.