2019 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
etusch

Re: 2019 FIM MotoGP World Championship.

digitalrurouni wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:08

Ah ok good to know. Weird though that the Petronas team can get so much more out of the bikes than the factory bikes are able to. That kind of blows my mind. I wonder if Rossi is pushing for a V4 instead of an inline 4.
www.express.co.uk/sport/othersport/1044 ... -Sport/amp

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

digitalrurouni wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 15:44
digitalrurouni wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 14:29

Good point. So I assume that a more powerful engine will have a more aggressive power delivery unless electronics plus crankshaft weight can curb that down. Also all the bikes are almost using the same reverse rotating crankshaft for handling. Yamaha's philosophy has always been to use less power but get the rider throttle tire connection really well. It seems however that recently with technology and riding style instead of taking wide turning high corner speed arcs, it seems to be more like getting the bike turned in asap and then hit apex and immediately straighten it and shoot out of the corners. That seems the fastest way around the track. I think Yamaha needs to stop listening to Valentino and take a look at what the others are doing. I think that style has reached a development dead end.
Actually Rossi says the opposite now, he insists Yamaha get a more wild/stronger engine and develop more sophisticated electronics to take care of power delivery just like Honda/Ducati are doing.

The one time they listened to Vinales proved catastrophic to be honest so they are more careful now...
Ah ok good to know. Weird though that the Petronas team can get so much more out of the bikes than the factory bikes are able to. That kind of blows my mind. I wonder if Rossi is pushing for a V4 instead of an inline 4.
If you analyse carefully, Petronas are not getting much more, they focus on a Qualifying setup and are very fast but most of the times they lack Race Pace or they are losing pace on the late stages due to tyre wear.

I doubt if Rossi has a preference/knowledge between I4 or V4 and I don't believe even he can influence such a decision.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

Nonserviam85 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 17:41
digitalrurouni wrote:
Nonserviam85 wrote:
05 Jun 2019, 15:44

Actually Rossi says the opposite now, he insists Yamaha get a more wild/stronger engine and develop more sophisticated electronics to take care of power delivery just like Honda/Ducati are doing.

The one time they listened to Vinales proved catastrophic to be honest so they are more careful now...
If you analyse carefully, Petronas are not getting much more, they focus on a Qualifying setup and are very fast but most of the times they lack Race Pace or they are losing pace on the late stages due to tyre wear.

I doubt if Rossi has a preference/knowledge between I4 or V4 and I don't believe even he can influence such a decision.
True. Almost like in a full tank they are not able to get the bike to move around. And also their race starts have been incredibly subpar. BUT during the race after the fuel load has burned down, Quartararo has been posting lap times that are nearly at the pace of the leaders but he's already so far down it's too late.

And thanks for that interesting article about the V4 rumors!

etusch

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

Obviously sabotage from the opposition...

roon
roon

Unsafe track re-entry.

GPR-A

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27131&start=180#p759690
NathanOlder wrote:
24 Apr 2018, 14:12
Winning a title on the Honda is always something that is expected, Marquez hasn't done anything unexpected yet.
Then look at how big the list of Honda champions is. Win it on a honda? Big deal.
Big deal? Seems so.

I couldn't stop from posting this one here, as I remembered our discussion a year back. :) With a 3 time champion struggling to cope with the bike and other Honda rider expressing his displeasure with the difficulties of the bike, it's time to reconsider what MM has been doing with Honda bikes over the years.

Crutchlow: What Lorenzo wants "we've been asking for years"
LCR rider Cal Crutchlow says the bike changes that Honda's new signing Jorge Lorenzo has been requesting are the same as what other Honda riders have asked for "for years".

Lorenzo, who has found life tough on the RC213V so far, said after Mugello that he believed he was "the right rider" to help transform Honda's bike into a more user-friendly, less physical machine, just as he had done at Ducati.

The three-time world champion visited Honda's Asakadai factory after the Mugello round in an effort to assist the engineers in making a bike he would feel more comfortable on.

"The problem is, Marc is leading the championship, he's won the last God knows how many championships. On a bike that is very difficult and physical to ride, but he's winning. It's for the other riders to try and go as fast as him on the equipment.

"At the moment I can't, at the moment Jorge can't, Dani [Pedrosa], he couldn't either. And this is the reality.

NathanOlder

Meh. All down to riding style. Marc has a very unique riding style. Everyone knows that. Who's to say its not just the Honda is the perfect bike of recent years for his riding style :roll: :wink:

Personaly I looks like the Honda needs a rider who is crazy and wants to drag the thing around the track. Honda haven't had a rider like that (other than MM) since Casey was there. Danny, Jorge and Cal are all different types of rider, smooth and steady. Of the current crop, I think Zarco would be a good fit for the Honda. Heaven knows why they signed Lorenzo #-o he needs too many stars to align before he can be quick and that wont happen on a Honda.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A

NathanOlder wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 19:28
Meh. All down to riding style. Marc has a very unique riding style. Everyone knows that. Who's to say its not just the Honda is the perfect bike of recent years for his riding style :roll: :wink:

Personaly I looks like the Honda needs a rider who is crazy and wants to drag the thing around the track. Honda haven't had a rider like that (other than MM) since Casey was there. Danny, Jorge and Cal are all different types of rider, smooth and steady. Of the current crop, I think Zarco would be a good fit for the Honda. Heaven knows why they signed Lorenzo #-o he needs too many stars to align before he can be quick and that wont happen on a Honda.
But you said, winning on Honda is expected, as if any tom, dick and harry can simply jump on it and win championship, which is the point. :lol:

NathanOlder

Yeah and I'd say up until 2018, the Honda was probably the stronger bike on the grid. 2018 Ducati had a better all round bike and this year there seems to be plenty of competition at the front.

Still doesn't take away the fact Casey would have won more titles if he had stayed 8)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

GPR -A wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 20:02
NathanOlder wrote:

But you said, winning on Honda is expected, as if any tom, dick and harry can simply jump on it and win championship, which is the point. :lol:
But every Tom Dick and Harry won or was a championship contender in a factory Honda (Gardner, Criville, Barros, Gibernau, Hayden, even Ukawa and the list goes one) ... This time MM style is very different to the others and the Factory obviously chose to make the bike suit MM's riding style.

GPR-A

Nonserviam85 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 23:12
GPR -A wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

But every Tom Dick and Harry won or was a championship contender in a factory Honda (Gardner, Criville, Barros, Gibernau, Hayden, even Ukawa and the list goes one) ... This time MM style is very different to the others and the Factory obviously chose to make the bike suit MM's riding style.
If you have some idea of how a bike is designed, you would know that, the designers/engineers' aim is to simply build the fastest equipment. They chose a certain philosophy and then start optimizing everything around it. If the simulations show a certain performance, they expect the riders to extract it. When engineers get creative ideas, they simply want it to bolt it on the bike as there is performance to be had. It's up to a rider to quickly get adjusted and extract the best. Same applies in F1 and that is why people like Alonso and Hamilton are really good, because they get adjusted to new cars quickly and extract the best whereas people Kimi and Vettel are more sensitive and expect the car to be build to their liking and only then they are good.

If anyone thinks that the Honda bikes of the past 6 years are all inherently same and nothing has changed, then they have no idea how concepts evolve with newer ideas that engineers bring, which would force changes on various critical areas of the bike. A rider's feedback is important, but even more important is the freedom for designers to exploit various aspects of the bike to enhance performance. If designers feel limited by the needs of a rider, then the bike doesn't move forward. So in that sense, saying Honda is building bike for MM is work of imagination. They are simply evolving their bike concept where they are seeing performance improvement and MM is taking the equipment and driving it to wins and championships. May be their current concept is difficult for riders, but like I said about Alonso and Hamilton, you need a rider who doesn't have special needs to get the best and get adjusted to whatever that is being built.

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

NathanOlder wrote:

Disagree completely about the Zarco comment. He is not a Marc style rider. Pol Espargaro would be more suited to the Honda. The KTM is more like the Honda than any other bike and Zarco can't manage it. Pol couldn't be physical with the Yamaha and likes the KTM. Zarco exact opposite.

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

GPR -A wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 06:00
Nonserviam85 wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 23:12
GPR -A wrote:
If you have some idea of how a bike is designed, you would know that, the designers/engineers' aim is to simply build the fastest equipment. They chose a certain philosophy and then start optimizing everything around it. If the simulations show a certain performance, they expect the riders to extract it. When engineers get creative ideas, they simply want it to bolt it on the bike as there is performance to be had. It's up to a rider to quickly get adjusted and extract the best. Same applies in F1 and that is why people like Alonso and Hamilton are really good, because they get adjusted to new cars quickly and extract the best whereas people Kimi and Vettel are more sensitive and expect the car to be build to their liking and only then they are good.

If anyone thinks that the Honda bikes of the past 6 years are all inherently same and nothing has changed, then they have no idea how concepts evolve with newer ideas that engineers bring, which would force changes on various critical areas of the bike. A rider's feedback is important, but even more important is the freedom for designers to exploit various aspects of the bike to enhance performance. If designers feel limited by the needs of a rider, then the bike doesn't move forward. So in that sense, saying Honda is building bike for MM is work of imagination. They are simply evolving their bike concept where they are seeing performance improvement and MM is taking the equipment and driving it to wins and championships. May be their current concept is difficult for riders, but like I said about Alonso and Hamilton, you need a rider who doesn't have special needs to get the best and get adjusted to whatever that is being built.
Hmm tell me more about it, after 25 years of working experience in high performance Motorbike design I am keen to learn more. So tell me since you know all, who are the Alonso and Hamilton equivalent in MotoGP? Please stop confusing Formula1 with MotoGP they are completely different.

NathanOlder

Lorenzo you moron. Marquez having his Vettel luck again.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.