NASCAR

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

NASCAR

Ryan Newman is fully alert, walking around the hospital and joking with staff two days after his frightening crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500.
Roush Fenway Racing said Wednesday the 42-year-old driver "continues to show great improvement." The team added that "true to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with staff, friends and family while playing with his two daughters." :D :D :D :D
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ian_s

Re: NASCAR

Thats good news, that crash looked pretty bad!

Maritimer

One of the worse hits I've seen in a while, glad hes doing okay

subcritical71

NASCAR drivers stepping into iRacing.

https://racingnews.co/2020/03/15/nascar ... -live/amp/

strad

Nascar driver Kyle Larson dropped the N-word in an iRacing stream when he thought he was just talking to his spotter. Got suspended by Ganassi, then dropped by McDonald’s and Credit One, then got suspended by Nascar, then got banned from iRacing, then got fired from Ganassi and had his contract with Chevy terminated.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

3jawchuck

strad wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 21:12
Nascar driver Kyle Larson dropped the N-word in an iRacing stream when he thought he was just talking to his spotter. Got suspended by Ganassi, then dropped by McDonald’s and Credit One, then got suspended by Nascar, then got banned from iRacing, then got fired from Ganassi and had his contract with Chevy terminated.
He got sacked for saying NASCAR?

Zynerji

strad wrote:
15 Apr 2020, 21:12
Consequences of a cancel culture.

strad

cancel culture
???
#-o What would expect the backlash to be? Would you expect acceptance? Do you wander aroung using that word?
Sir Stirling Moss

AMG.Tzan

Overreaction i think! Being dumped from everyone for a moment of stupidity or carelessness doesn't show anything to the world apart from how to ruin someone's career for something that he instantly regretted and publicly apologized!

To be clear i'm not in favor of using the N-word...but from what i understand he thought no one was listening to him! A moment of stupidity or carelessness could happen to any of us and shouldn't cost that much...i don't think he was trying to insult or be disrespectful to anyone!

After all everyone deserves a chance...to apologize or defend their position! A public apology and public service is what the sponsors, team and Nascar itself should have asked for!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Scorpaguy

This is what happens when we forget the paradigm, "sticks and stones may break our bones...". Our nancy boy culture has allowed words to weaponized (to a nuclear extent). It is a stupid word uttered by small minded people. However, its utterance hurts only those that choose to be hurt (it is but a word after all...used in innumerable songs and movies daily).

Perhaps the uber sissies of the world can devise an electronic mouthpiece for drivers that electronically cancel all disparagements, curse words, ill-inflections, etc.

As for Larson...busch league move bro. Find a way to apologize in a meaningful way.

ENGINE TUNER

A vile disgusting word that only racists say on purpose or "by accident". He didn't say the word by accident, he was only overheard by accident, he fully meant to say it, just didn't mean for others to hear him say it. That word was used as a weapon of dehumanization and oppression by white supremacists and there rightfully should be large consequences for using it in public. One less racist in nascar, a tiny start.

For comparison, look how Bubba Wallace, the only black driver in nascar, lost a sponsor merely for quitting an e race after someone wrecked him.

strad

Come on, In this day you just don't use that word. It should be erased from your vocabulary by now. Many of us older people might could be excused for letting one slip in the heat of an argument but nobody that did not grow up in a time where it was accepted should even have it in their vocabulary to "accidently" let it slip.
Sponsors for a long time now have been sensitive to it's effect on people of color and therefor on their market.
Sir Stirling Moss

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2020/ ... n-raceway/

Cup cars running 400 miles at Darlington, SC Sun 5/17 and 500 km Wed 5/20.

bill shoe

Well, there's my racing crack. I will watch it starting May 17, but I won't be proud to be watching it.

Scorpaguy

bill shoe wrote:
02 May 2020, 05:22
Well, there's my racing crack. I will watch it starting May 17, but I won't be proud to be watching it.
...not much difference between F1 and NASCAR in many aspects. Both are pretty hi-tech re set up...one just uses 7-point shakers and the other wind tunnels...to compete for wins. While many snobs deride NASCARs tech savy, the sport is dominated by just a few teams with cash enough for unlimited tech followed by a number of "also rans"...just like F1.

Now sit back and watch the downvoting commence :D