NASCAR

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Dazed1

Re: NASCAR

Scorpaguy wrote:
03 May 2020, 22:07
bill shoe wrote:
02 May 2020, 05:22
Well, there's my racing crack. I will watch it starting May 17, but I won't be proud to be watching it.
...not much difference between F1 and NASCAR in many aspects. Both are pretty hi-tech re set up...one just uses 7-point shakers and the other wind tunnels...to compete for wins. While many snobs deride NASCARs tech savy, the sport is dominated by just a few teams with cash enough for unlimited tech followed by a number of "also rans"...just like F1.

Now sit back and watch the downvoting commence :D

"Hey Jimmy. which way did you say I turn at the end of the straight?"

Love the road races, watch most of the others in fast forward. ;)

strad

Gotta love people who think you just smash the throttle and turn left.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

NASCAR team cost per season...$15-20 mil. That is one expensive gas pedal and left turn signal!

mclaren111

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 10:12
A vile disgusting word that only racists say on purpose or "by accident". He didn't say the word by accident, he was only overheard by accident, he fully meant to say it, just didn't mean for others to hear him say it. That word was used as a weapon of dehumanization and oppression by white supremacists and there rightfully should be large consequences for using it in public. One less racist in nascar, a tiny start.

For comparison, look how Bubba Wallace, the only black driver in nascar, lost a sponsor merely for quitting an e race after someone wrecked him.

I see you jumped on the PC correctness wagon in full force... Madness

Time for this PC correctness BS to end...

mclaren111

AMG.Tzan wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 01:38
Overreaction i think! Being dumped from everyone for a moment of stupidity or carelessness doesn't show anything to the world apart from how to ruin someone's career for something that he instantly regretted and publicly apologized!

To be clear i'm not in favor of using the N-word...but from what i understand he thought no one was listening to him! A moment of stupidity or carelessness could happen to any of us and shouldn't cost that much...i don't think he was trying to insult or be disrespectful to anyone!

After all everyone deserves a chance...to apologize or defend their position! A public apology and public service is what the sponsors, team and Nascar itself should have asked for!

Agree 100%.... PC correctness Madness...

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
05 May 2020, 01:43
Gotta love people who think you just smash the throttle and turn left.
Lando Norris reckons he spent a cumulative 24 hours practising to get it right for the "race". Shame some "doesn't race here so let's prevent him from winning" dimwit wasted the work he put in.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

strad

@Just a Fan
Are you talking about the virtual IndyCar race? Lando Norris and Simon Pagenaud?
Pagenaud’s deliberate wrecking is an annoying troll within the context of a video game, but it’s a betrayal of the highest order in the context of real-world, professional racing. An inherent tension in F1 and Indy racing is that drivers are in ruthless competition at the same time that they are all trying to prevent crashes that can easily turn deadly. Now that these same drivers are competing in a space where the deadly physical consequences are no longer an issue, the sport is changing fast, and in ways that can carry over to real-world tracks when drivers are able to race on them again.
from VICE
on the POV stream from his spotter Ben Bretzman, he (Pagenaud) can be heard saying, “I’m gonna take Lando out, let’s do it.” A moment later, on that stream, someone else (I don’t know who, but he’s the only real friend Pagenaud had on Saturday) on the team comms said, “Just make sure you do not do a decision that you might regret.” Pagenaud scoffed, “I don’t regret anything, what are you talking about? I’m racing!”
Just when I started liking Pagenaud after not liking him from a long time back.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
05 May 2020, 19:29
@Just a Fan
Are you talking about the virtual IndyCar race? Lando Norris and Simon Pagenaud?
Yes, that's the one.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

hollus

Thread unlocked.

To discuss Nascar, not what some members think about other members.

By the way, should one write NASCAR will all caps?
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

That's the way NASCAR is written Hollus.
National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
Sir Stirling Moss

subcritical71

strad wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:50
Ryan Newman is fully alert, walking around the hospital and joking with staff two days after his frightening crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500.
Roush Fenway Racing said Wednesday the 42-year-old driver "continues to show great improvement." The team added that "true to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with staff, friends and family while playing with his two daughters." :D :D :D :D
That was a massive crash and it appears in the end it was bumps and scratches... Looking back at 2001 to today and it's a completely different landscape, safety wise with these cars.

Ryan Newman did his first in depth details of the wreck on a Zoom today with reporters;
https://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/cup/ ... -500-crash

strad

Thanks subcritical,, Sounds like all the safety stuff did it's job. Sure looked a hell of a lot worse than they're saying. For it to crush his helmet says something hit it pretty darn hard.
Sir Stirling Moss

subcritical71

strad wrote:
15 May 2020, 04:14
Thanks subcritical,, Sounds like all the safety stuff did it's job. Sure looked a hell of a lot worse than they're saying. For it to crush his helmet says something hit it pretty darn hard.
Thanks. Another thing that struck me is that his seat moved from the impact and I read somewhere else that the car that hit him also had it seat move out of position. That is a lot of energy to make that happen.

strad

''''''''''Brad Keselowski will start on the pole as a result of a random draw on Thursday.''''''''''''
Brad has two Poles at Darlington.. He joked this is the first one he got from his living room.
Sir Stirling Moss

Scorpaguy

..watching this NASCAR "race" and am thinking, "traction" sucks. This stuff, and most other series, would be far more entertaining with less traction and more HP.