Process of making Fromula 4 car

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Xsender

Process of making Fromula 4 car

Hi, I didn't see any topic about this, so I decided to create one.

I was wondering, what the process of making an F4 car looks like? How does it differ from the process of making other formula cars? How long does it take to build such a car from a scratch?

I did some research, but I didn't gather much information. Taking into consideration lower budgets, smaller teams with inexperienced drivers just starting their adventure with formula races and less prestige, one could wonder what’s interesting about it. However with young blood wanting to make a name for themselves, both for drivers and engineers it’s interesting to see how they develop.

I find it interesting how the engineers manage to build complex formula cars with restrictions concerning chassis and engine. Maybe some of you guys are also interested and we could have a discussion.

Jolle

Re: Process of making Fromula 4 car

Xsender wrote:
25 Mar 2021, 17:29
Hi, I didn't see any topic about this, so I decided to create one.

I was wondering, what the process of making an F4 car looks like? How does it differ from the process of making other formula cars? How long does it take to build such a car from a scratch?

I did some research, but I didn't gather much information. Taking into consideration lower budgets, smaller teams with inexperienced drivers just starting their adventure with formula races and less prestige, one could wonder what’s interesting about it. However with young blood wanting to make a name for themselves, both for drivers and engineers it’s interesting to see how they develop.

I find it interesting how the engineers manage to build complex formula cars with restrictions concerning chassis and engine. Maybe some of you guys are also interested and we could have a discussion.
It's quite simple, you can't make your own F4 car. To be able to take part in a F4 event you have to have a cassis (the car itself) from one of the four homologated manufacturers and an engine of one of the four homologated engine suppliers.

To build a F4 yourself for just track days, you need to make a carbon chassis, which is as an amateur almost impossible and more expensive then buy one of the manufactures. Motorsport isn't just welding some tubes anymore...

Xsender

To be able to take part in a F4 event you have to have a cassis (the car itself) from one of the four homologated manufacturers and an engine of one of the four homologated engine suppliers.
Yes, but I was wondering what's next, how the process looks like from now on? After all, engines and chassis are significant parts of the car but there is still much to do, as you said, it's not about welding some tubes anymore. You get the chassis and engine from homologated suppliers, and you still need to put them together, order or make other parts, put them together etc.

Jolle

Xsender wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 13:56
To be able to take part in a F4 event you have to have a cassis (the car itself) from one of the four homologated manufacturers and an engine of one of the four homologated engine suppliers.
Yes, but I was wondering what's next, how the process looks like from now on? After all, engines and chassis are significant parts of the car but there is still much to do, as you said, it's not about welding some tubes anymore. You get the chassis and engine from homologated suppliers, and you still need to put them together, order or make other parts, put them together etc.
Might be a bit confusing, with the chassis they mean the whole car minus the engine. To keep costs to a minimum they won’t allow your own designed parts on the car.

jjn9128

Jolle wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 11:15
Xsender wrote:
Might be a bit confusing, with the chassis they mean the whole car minus the engine. To keep costs to a minimum they won’t allow your own designed parts on the car.
Really? The Formula 4 rules are on the FIA website in full like the F1 rules (F2 and F3 are just manufacturer guides).
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

jjn9128 wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 12:06
Jolle wrote:
Xsender wrote:

Really? The Formula 4 rules are on the FIA website in full like the F1 rules (F2 and F3 are just manufacturer guides).
Because in F3 and F2 there is a single manufacturer. Those rules are for the four homologated builders. If, let’s say, Dalara wants to homologate a F4 car, they can follow those rules

Xsender

Jolle wrote:
Xsender wrote:
Thank you very much, that explains it :D