Perfect racing - Designing the perfect racing series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Carlos

" I would hate to make a different one and pull members from this forum. I'm sure that the owners would greatly dislike losing traffic and their sponsorship... " Chris - November 25th 2007

Chris - Any progress on this project? Or was this just a standardized propaganda technique of generalized malice? Carlos - Dec 8th 2007

Conceptual

Re: [Perfect racing] Designing the perfect racing series

Edited for being a douchebag.

Sorry Carlos.
Last edited by Conceptual on 01 Jan 2009, 04:38, edited 1 time in total.

humble sabot

Ok, I figured i'd inject a little tangent here.
The race series I would most like to see would consist of relatively unlimited vehicles, with driver and mechanic/navigator. It would be a sort of transcontinental trip. What i imagine is essentially open wheel cars, with a displacement limit but no real caps on innovation, what i'd prefer, though it might sound odd, is a technology sharing system, not too dissimilar to the revenue sharing proposed by rymagik. The idea would be to raise the overall level year on year.
The main limitations on the series in theory would be the ability to carry that passenger -while racing- carry a credit card tourer's luggage, say two suitcases, the space would be used for spares during the actual race. And the last regs would be a slightly restrictive fuel load, and a tight displacement limit. Being road legal would be a goal of the series, though obviously it would be difficult, having what amounts to f1-level groupe b rally cars with open wheels.

I admit i'm nostalgic for a kind of racing that happened at the beginning of living memory. I've never been around during a Peking to Paris. But it would be soooo cool if we could do the same thing in this day and age on the latest technology, make it annual, or even, make it continue through the year.

I could imagine the privateer's choice would be a Caparo t1 with some body work modifications and a slight work over on the suspension travel. From there one might see rotary valves, ceramic engine blocks (with a proper avenue for development it could actually be worth working out the kinks in the tech, but as it stands now, it just isn't worth anyone's bother), compound turbos, we might see some people trying electrics, rotaries could be used to their potential in a non-drag setting, and if at the end of the day people could purchase this stuff that would make the series so much more worth watching.

I'm annoyed at endurance racing, not quite as much, but almost, as much as f1, in how the machines exist. I mean, these days you have to have a safety structure for the 'passenger' but there's never anyone in that space, and for the most part, not even an actual place for them to sit, despite an open hole. On top of that with the non-prototype races you have what amounts to a racecar that is just made to look like the street car, not much use to a Viper, or 911 buyer really.

So what if endurance, meant what it did at the turn of the last century, and Prototype, meant what it said on the tin?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

ackzsel

humble sabot wrote:I could imagine the privateer's choice would be a Caparo t1...
Isn't that the car that broke down on Top gear all the time? :D

I like your idea, though. Especially because normal road cars could benefit from the developements. Only thing I'm affraid of is that I think it's kind of hard to organize an event of such magnitude around the globe nowadays.

Rev Limiter

I don't know if there is such a thing as a perfect racing series, however, it must have the hallmarks of A grade experienced drivers, technology, a lot of manufacturer involvement and diversity of suppliers tracks to make it worthwhile watching. It may be using equipment that the average Joe cannot drive on the street, or it might be that they can.... I think it must be coherent and not overcomplicated.

The CART era of the 90s, today's NASCAR (I don't mind watching it), V8 Supercars, WRC, ALMS, GT, Porche Cup, Targa, and even F1 etc all have elements of what makes racing a great spectacle. Not sure if it is possible to get everything rolled into a single series.

ernos5

okay some more ideas maybe

-Possibly V12 limited in engine size maybe 4 or 5 lites.
-twin turbo and or superchargers allowed
-aerodynamic pieces covering front of the wheel not the whole way round other wise it isn't really open wheel racing, more like LeMans style cars
-larger brakes than today's f1 cars
-movable aerodynamic
-OVERALL MAKE THE CARS SOO FAST THAT THE DRIVER IS THE WEAKNESS, MAKE IT THAT THE CAR CAN WITHSTAND ANY SPEED POSSIBLE FOR THE DRIVER TO ENTER THE CORNER AT, MAKE IT SO THAT THE DRIVER GOES AT FAST AS HE CAN UNTIL IT'S HURTS HIM FROM TOO MANY G'S.

that would be interesting lol

flynfrog

ernos5 wrote:okay some more ideas maybe

-aerodynamic pieces covering front of the wheel not the whole way round other wise it isn't really open wheel racing, more like LeMans style cars
-movable aerodynamic
-OVERALL MAKE THE CARS SOO FAST THAT THE DRIVER IS THE WEAKNESS, MAKE IT THAT THE CAR CAN WITHSTAND ANY SPEED POSSIBLE FOR THE DRIVER TO ENTER THE CORNER AT, MAKE IT SO THAT THE DRIVER GOES AT FAST AS HE CAN UNTIL IT'S HURTS HIM FROM TOO MANY G'S.

What happens once they put him in a G suit ?

ernos5

flynfrog wrote:

-movable aerodynamic

nah dont use a g suit, it's only latitudinal or horizontal g-forced not vertical, and plus it wont be that many g's, just enough so it hurts, not life threatning

WhiteBlue

• complete list of features
  • Global series with 33 races and virtually no testing
  • independant global operating governing body
  • promotor asigned by auction for 10 year periods with committment to HDTV distribution
  • revenue split 25%/50%/15%/10% to promoter/top league/feeder league/gov body
  • equal number of races in Americas, Europe/SA and Asia/Oz
  • 10 months season
  • 2 leages system with relegation/promotion of 3 teams per season
  • 12 teams, 24 cars per league
  • progressively anual reducing energy budget per race and car
  • weight limit of car
  • technology only restricted by safety
  • freedom to design or buy all components
  • cars configurable for 300km-1000km racing
  • night configuration for long distances with race car lighting system
  • cars configurable for oval racing
  • top league access only by promotion from feeder league
  • feeder league access by application for empty slots with screening from governing body based on defined criteria
  • financial budget 120 mil € top league, 12 mil € feeder league
  • 20 2-4 mile permanent dedicated non oval racing circuits (300km race)
  • 4 long distance 10-15 mile tracks (1000km race)
  • 3 oval races (300km)
  • 6 street races(300km)
you might guess it, the 1000km races are for Norddchleife, LeMans, Spa and perhaps a new majestic endurance track. if we have the finest racing series at global top level there should be challenges. to bring those tracks back into the fold and upgrade safety would be a challenge that I would find very rewarding. not having ovals wouldn't do for the Yanks. :lol:
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

flynfrog

ernos5 wrote:
flynfrog wrote:

-movable aerodynamic

nah dont use a g suit, it's only latitudinal or horizontal g-forced not vertical, and plus it wont be that many g's, just enough so it hurts, not life threatning
what about the cart driver who were blacking out a few years back

pedaltometal

With the state of F1 right now, and the fact that north america is excluded from the World

Championship, it would be great if another series, mix of F1, NASCAR and CAN-AM, was put forth to replace or at least supplement F1, NASCAR, Indycar and Le Mans series. This would be a series that has carbonfiber monocoque cars with the body style and engine position characteristics of the production cars, with engines and drivetrain being the climax of technological research of the companies that develop and build them.

North American Modified Car Championship (NAMCC)
Governing Body: Grand Prix Organization of North America (GPONA)

-Manufacturer's competition
Alfa-Romeo
Audi
BMW
Chevrolet
Dodge
Honda
Ferrari
Ford
Maserati
Mercedes-Benz
Nissan
Pontiac
Porsche
Lamborghini
ect

-Financial budget 120 mil maximum

-Mix of Oval and Road Challenges

-Two cars per team in race, four cars total maximum of two models per team

-Drivers from IRL, Indy, NASCAR, F1, Grand-Am...

-Engines must last Two and 1/2 Challenges or one oval test, qual and race

-Specific details of car may be kept secret, but all technology, settings, blueprints and specifics of the cars and parts being used (not research projects...) are made public to all teams every two years.

-Minimum Weight 1,500kg

-Cars will be carbon-fiber monocoque closed-two seater made to look like production car with aerodynamic aids such as spoilers and ground effects

-Examples of cars: Challenger, Viper, Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, G8, Ferrari 575, Lamborghini Murcielago, BMW M6, Nissan GT-R, 8C Competizione, GranTurismo S, SL65, R8, 911, Mazdaspeed ect

-30 car grid on oval, 20 non-oval

-Changing Tyres and one refuelling permitted

-No engine, brake or drivetrain restriction apart from:
7400cc limit for naturally aspirated engines
5700cc limit for forced induction engines
Must use gasoline
Only Four-Stroke Reciprocating Piston Engines
No CVT
Two-Wheel steering Only
Four Wheels only
No Nitromethane

Thus we would see things such as:
Variable Valve Timing, Rotary Valves, Variable Geometry intake/exhaust and turbos, Twincharching, Pnmeumatic Valves, Direct-Injection, very varied engines from team to team

-AWD is legal, can be switched off for different races

-Slick Tires

-Engines configuration can be changed between each races, with up to two configurations (example: 7.0L V10 for oval, 5.0L Turbo V8 for road)

-No electronic driver aids (ABS,TC,Active Suspension)

And i'll steal some of WhiteBlue's excellent ideas

# promotor asigned by auction for 10 year periods with committment to HDTV distribution
# revenue split 25%/65%/10% to promoter/league/gov body
# 10 months season
# freedom to design or buy all components
# night configuration for long distances with race car lighting system
# 12 2-4 mile permanent dedicated non oval racing circuits (300km race)
# 5 oval races (300km)
# 9 street races(300km)

Daytona Superspeedway
Indianapolis Superspeedway
Talladega Superspeedway
Texas World Superspeedway
Pocono Superspeedway

Los Angeles Street Challenge
Toronto Street Challenge
Edmonton Airport Raceway
Detroit Street Challenge
New York Street Challenge
Trois-Riviere Street Challenge
Miami Street Challenge
Mexico City Street Challenge
Vancouver Street Challenge

Mosport International Raceway
Circuit Mont-Tremblant
Infineon
Laguna Seca
Portland International Raceway
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
Road America
Road Atlanta
Watkins Glen
Willow Springs
Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez
Sebring International Raceway
Last edited by pedaltometal on 07 Jan 2009, 08:04, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123

I had an idea of a racing class wich is faster then F1.

-V4 Bi-turbo engines

-Ground effect allowed

-Front wing on F1-style hight

-4WD allowed

-The cars can produce an enormous amount of downforce due to the wings that are allowed everywhere, really big diffusers, small build body to reduce the drag.

-Active suspension allowed

-Rear wing has to be within the F1 rules but allows 3 upper wings, or a CDG wing is allowed.

-The cars run on Bio-Diesel

-The cars are allowed to run with KERS with an unlimited amount of energy stored.

-The drivers head has to be parralel to the cockpit sides, in case the roll over hoop breaks off(i saw an nasty indycar crash where a car was thrown into the concrete wall with the engine cover first, the driver had no chance of survival)

-Slick tires

Basicly my idea allows almost everything, and the cars can produce an enormous amount of downforce as the diffuser is unrestricted.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ernos5

you know a really simple idea that would boost horsepower would be to make them use top fuel, similar to drasters.

Top Fuel Dragsters have around 8000hp, although in reality they only have i think 5000hp, but the top fuel boosts it's hp to 8000hp..

F1 could easily use a fuel similar, it doesn't have to give an extra 3000hp lol but it could be enough to give an extra couple hundred maybe....

Beemer4

Here's my perfect racing series,

Cars allowed:

GT Class:
Audi R8 GT3
BMW M3 E46

Open Wheel Class:
Panoz DP01
Dallara GP2/08

LMP Class:
Audi R10
Audi R8

Touring Class:
Proton Impian
Mercedes DTM-CLK

Tracks:
Indianapolis Road Course
Bugatti Circuit
Spa
Jerez
Shanghai
Fuji
Circuit Gilles Villenuve

85% Ethanol Fuel Mix 15% Petroleum
KERS available
Modifications available during races
Engines to last 2 Race weekends
$50m salary cap for 2 drivers a team
2 day weekend with 1 prac, 1 quali, 1 warm up and 2 short races
Red Bull gives you wings

pedaltometal

ernos5 wrote:you know a really simple idea that would boost horsepower would be to make them use top fuel, similar to drasters.

Top Fuel Dragsters have around 8000hp, although in reality they only have i think 5000hp, but the top fuel boosts it's hp to 8000hp..

F1 could easily use a fuel similar, it doesn't have to give an extra 3000hp lol but it could be enough to give an extra couple hundred maybe....
It could dramatically increase horsepower but also decrease engine life and reliability by a lot.