Perfect racing - Designing the perfect racing series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Giblet

Re: [Perfect racing] Designing the perfect racing series

I came up with a pretty insane for a new kind of motor sport a few years ago that simply doesn't exist.

The series is call Brake Drag Racing.

Your car has no motor, and the tracks are specially designed with steam catapults in them, same as an aircraft carrier.

The two vehicles are locked into the catapult in their respective lanes, and then launched at the same time (or different times for bracket drag racing).

After the release from the catapult, the cars roll unpowered towards a white line, at say, 200 feet or something from the start line. Any deceleration within a certain limit before the line, or actual braking, and you are disqualified.

The moment you hit that line, you engage the brakes on the vehicle, and whoever comes to a stop first, wins.

Different classes of cars, from 'stock' cars that only have brakes in the wheels, moving up to cars with chutes, all the way up to the top tier, where the cars would open like an aerodynamic swiss army knives, with air brakes, chutes, etc.

You would want the car to be as slick as possible to quickly get to that line first, then open up into the least slick shape possible to stop first.

All in all I think it would be a very interesting engineering challenge that would produce some unique vehicles unlike anything ever seen before.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

and some detached retinas... what kind of restraint devices do they have for eyeballs?

Giblet

I don't know, I'm not an engineer. Whatever g's fighter pilots take when they land on an aircraft carrier are, limit the formula in that sense.

Assume, for the sake of argument, that the formula for the sport, involving things like tire widths, and size of chutes, etc., was not finalized by a room full of monkeys drinking bad whiskey, and an abacus.

oh...water filled goggles, to contain the eyes under rapid deceleration? Make something up.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ISLAMATRON

Giblet wrote:I don't know, I'm not an engineer.
gotta be one of the best quotes ever... as if we engineers know everything

Giblet

I just meant I wasn't over-thinking the problem, like all my engineer friends do.

James_graham

I think instead of having any engine restrictions yuo should go for a maximum energy limit. it is something which has been floating around for a while (last issue of race car engineering).

Gives people a chance to explore lots of different things not just focused on a conventional engine.

ced ampo

no rules anything can do

autogyro

Anything?
Hmmm
20 pounds of Centex facing forward should win it.
Trouble is it would be a 'dead' stop.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Fogey F1!! =D>

Here's my idea:

Entrants must be over 70 years old. The cars are fitted with wingback chairs and a small compartment for hard boiled sweets. The cars will have a KERS system comprising of 100 champagne bottles at the rear. The driver can pop the cork on 5 bottles at time to give themselves a boost. Due to the weight of Champagne bottles, the number of times this can be done over 70 laps is greatly reduced and it is up to the driver as to how they deploy the CERS (Champagne Energy Recovery System). Just the bare bones at the moment but I think this could make everyone rich, richer than Bernie!!! :o

In terms of the current F1, I would like qualifying to go back to 12 laps, one hour, do what you like and the tyres to go back to the use as many or as few and whatever compund the driver/team feels like. And for the FIA to be decisive and thorough in their dealings also would be a starter for 10.

MohdRidhwan

andrew wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you Fogey F1!! =D>

Here's my idea:

Entrants must be over 70 years old. The cars are fitted with wingback chairs and a small compartment for hard boiled sweets. The cars will have a KERS system comprising of 100 champagne bottles at the rear. The driver can pop the cork on 5 bottles at time to give themselves a boost. Due to the weight of Champagne bottles, the number of times this can be done over 70 laps is greatly reduced and it is up to the driver as to how they deploy the CERS (Champagne Energy Recovery System). Just the bare bones at the moment but I think this could make everyone rich, richer than Bernie!!! :o
Thats hilarious man!

WillerZ

Giblet wrote:…Brake Drag Racing…
I like it. Tell me more:

• does the driver need to be in the car?

If the driver needs to be in the car, then probably they need to be facing the rear of the vehicle and wearing a G suit.

• which, if any, electronic/mechanical/etc systems are not permitted?

If permitted, sensor-driven brake deployment is obviously the way to go.

• how long does the vehicle have to remain stationary to count as stopped?

If infinitesimal stop durations count, I'm probably fitting some kind of engine ;-).

Websta

G-suits wouldn't be necessary if the drivers were sitting backwards as blood would be trying to rush into the brain. As the driver wouldn't be lying flat, there wouldn't be much flow at all. If the driver was sitting forwards, they still wouldn't be necessary as braking events would be very short and the attitude of the body wouldn't be completely lateral, like it is in formula one, thus offering resistance to blood flow trying to pool in the legs.

goniff

Re: Perfect racing - Designing the perfect racing series

Time to revive this thread with my own perfect racing series.

Overall: 2 cars per team, chassis construction must be done in house for each team, must be single seater and open-wheel. Very similar to the premise of F1 so far, May as well be my new version of F1.

Mission: To attract teams, suppliers and sponsors by keeping costs down.

1. Production Based tire(s). For now there will be one tire, the Bridgestone turanza.
2. Engines must be production based 2000cc Turbocharged or 4000cc naturally aspirated.
3. Should a car have Driver Aids, those aids must be available in production vehicles.
4. Pre 2009 aero regulations.
5. WCC and WDC