Value of aerodynamics on small RC cars?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
machin

Re: Value of aerodynamics on small RC cars?

Auto... the whole point of the twin chassis car was to isolate the aero requirements from the "mass control/suspension" requirements.... this latest suggestion of yours goes back to a situation whereby the two are combined... in a package which is difficult to tune (you'd have to be able to adjust the flexibility of the body to tune the "suspension")... doesn't sound very wise to me????
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

autogyro
autogyro

machin wrote:Auto... the whole point of the twin chassis car was to isolate the aero requirements from the "mass control/suspension" requirements.... this latest suggestion of yours goes back to a situation whereby the two are combined... in a package which is difficult to tune (you'd have to be able to adjust the flexibility of the body to tune the "suspension")... doesn't sound very wise to me????
OK Machin but it is not a full scale car unless you know of any with foam rubber tyres and no driver.
Would be an interesting project.

machin

The thing is.... the laws of physics apply at 1/10th just as much as 1/1.... but I digress...

...How would you propose to apply and adjust damping with this arrangement?

autogyro
autogyro

machin wrote:The thing is.... the laws of physics apply at 1/10th just as much as 1/1.... but I digress...

...How would you propose to apply and adjust damping with this arrangement?
Diagonal stretchers for springing, material choice and rigidity for primary damping.
Probably augmented with friction damping on all four corners and maybe the central ball mounting.

synvex
synvex

On the front of these 4x4 cars there is no diff on the front. There is a centre shaft, with a one-way needle roller bearing on each side where the drive shafts fit into. This means when the drive system is under power, both wheels will get traction, but if one wheel is smaller than the other, the car would not pull to one side as this bearing compensates. In the corners also, these bearings make up the difference between left and right side.

autogyro
autogyro

synvex wrote:On the front of these 4x4 cars there is no diff on the front. There is a centre shaft, with a one-way needle roller bearing on each side where the drive shafts fit into. This means when the drive system is under power, both wheels will get traction, but if one wheel is smaller than the other, the car would not pull to one side as this bearing compensates. In the corners also, these bearings make up the difference between left and right side.
All this does is to disengage one wheel.
Hardly any use for handling and set up.
Neither is a rigid axle like a go kart without a dynamic driver shifting his weight.
Tyre wear must be huge and dont be fooled, it isnt going on decent grip.

synvex
synvex

Yeah, but what it does is to create more drive to the inside wheel on the front and this means that you can start with accelleration earlier in the corner. Without the one-way bearings on a hard surface, the car has no steering at all at high speed. This could be overcome with a centre diff between the front and rear wheels, but that is hefty in weight. Proper racing cars do not use prop shafts and the centre diff. All is done with drive belts.

autogyro
autogyro

I presume you dont use the 'sprag' or 'one way' clutches on the rear axle because you then lose all engine braking and not just half of it?

machin

autogyro wrote:
machin wrote:...How would you propose to apply and adjust damping with this arrangement?
Diagonal stretchers for springing, material choice and rigidity for primary damping.
Probably augmented with friction damping on all four corners and maybe the central ball mounting.
Sounds ideal for a cheap, mass-produced, RC car where you don't care about ultimate performance or adjustability and are just concentrating on cutting costs... having said that even cheap RC cars have coil springs, so you're probably saving a few pence per car... but hey, each to their own.... and we're getting way off the original topic!

autogyro
autogyro

Not realy.
The body is the aerodynamic part under discussion.
Doing away with the coil spring damper units would reduce weight and give two tunnels to play with for cooling or DF.
It would also allow a complete redesign of the suspension geometry.

synvex
synvex

One thing to remember is the minimum allowed weight of the car and the cars are getting way too light anyway. Right at the beginning of suspension on the r/c cars, they were built with torsion bars and each and every design changed to coils for the simple reason that it is more practical when adjusting the spring rates. With the torsion bars you only adjust height by making changes and have to take the torsion bar out and replace the complete thing with a different dia. torsion bar. With the coils over shock it is fairly easy to change the springs. The shock springs are also way lighter than the torsion bars.

The shocks evolved from basic pushrod into shock body but with problems of the volume of the input shaft [empty space] making foam in the oil, to the shock shaft going right trough the shock [worked best] to todays shock in which they have a silicone cap inside the shock that can stretch to compensate for the shaft's volume and keep the oil from foaming. Also, we moved from from 4 small shocks at each wheel, through mono-shocks front and back and back to 4 shocks, but now way larger. Pushrod shock suspensions were done, but it is not as effective as the 4 shocks on each corner.

autogyro
autogyro

I am a firm believer in the practicalities of a design in motor sport and Machin may well be right, my ideas for a sprung body shell could well be impractical for proper racing.
However, it looks like there is a need to evalue the technology used in small RC cars before the aerodynamics are even looked at seriously.
There could be a PHD in this for someone.

synvex
synvex

Now that would be interesting. If we work on scale alone, then the top speed of the 1/8th cars is about 1000km/h and the engine deliver .914hp per cc which in F1 terms will have to be about 2200hp! Corner speeds will be in the region of 300km/h.

gato azul
gato azul

thanks synvex (and Blanchimont) for the trouble explaining some Rc-car specifics for in detail.
I never raced 1/8 nitro cars, but did race 1/12 & 1/10 electric cars many years ago (mid 80's), and other guys in our club did
race 1/8 flat track nitro cars at the time, so I have/had a bit of an idea about them.
Sure times have moved on, but in general terms the cars are still quite similar in their general layout ( 3 belt drive 4WD, free wheeling front hubs etc.). Sure things have become a bit smaller and neater, but I don't see that much has fundamentally changed in 20 years)

Anyway, to come back to the discussion at hand. It seems that the rear suspension layout is intended, Serpent call's it not Camber gain, but Camber rise on their website, even so, I still struggle to see the benefit in it ( but that's maybe just me being thick). I remember that other, on this forum, have talked and shown photos of cars using a constant camber suspension on the rear ( things like DAX &/or Michelin OCP). So at least some people look at this and wonder about the benefits too.

I have a question, coming back to the aero side. What are your corner speeds? (in average), because that would give an indication about the potential gains. The way I see it, which can be completely wrong off course, it appears to me, that one of the main ideas is to increase braking stability and potential at high speeds with downforce.
Seeing, that these cars only brake the rear axle/wheels, and the shape of the body, which seems to indicate that most of the downforce is at the rear. This would tie in with your comment, that you struggle with turn in at power on/flat corners (using a lot of camber at the front to make the car turn in). This would not surprise me in the slightest., as I would expect that at top speed, the front tyres are only lightly loaded, due to the pivot/leverage effect of the rear spoiler/downforce around the rear axle.

As for this cross bar body mount. I have tried to model it - just for fun, and it seems that there is a bit of an issue. Due to the position of the slot (below the bar) they will cause the bat to deflect slightly laterally when only one wheel goes up. That's independent of the amount of downforce, it's a purely kinematic issue. So in a single wheel bump situation you will not only twist (try to twist) your bodyshell, you will move the rear sideways, while the front remains fixed with the two locating pins.
That may not be the end of the world, but technically/mechanically it's not nice. As more firmly your body shell is fixed, as more of an problem it will become. To migrate this issue somewhat, if you still like to keep the cross bar at the rear, I would try to fix the bodyshell only with one pin in the centerline (like on the old cars shown below), this would let the body pivot/roll around this point, and would not additional stiffness to the rear suspension. In the moment, I think, you use your body as an anti roll bar, a bit like what Machin said about the old F1 cars, and as you can see on the photo of the SG car below.

Just for giggles, here a photo of an SG Columbia Mk IV, which was "en vogue" in the mid 80's.
In global terms, this specific model was not hugely successful ( but SG did take the fight to Serpent at the time and won a WCC in 83), but feature some interesting technical details.

- torsion bar springs
- through rod/shaft vertical dampers
- shaft drive (propshaft running from front to rear instead of belts/chain)
- rear wing/spoiler mounted directly to the rear uprights ( so not a new idea)
- F1 style rear anti roll bar, a similar system is used on most cars at the front now.

interestingly, even so that the car used a shaft drive, they still didn't run a center diff or front diff, and the front wheels were engaged via freewheel hubs, just like today. So you need some rear wheel slip before the front axle engages.
This means that even with this car, braking was only to the rear wheels.
As this car didn't set the world on fire, they took a step back with the next model and abandoned the shaft drive, going back to a more conventional 3 belt drive (like Serpent), before going out of business finally.

synvex
synvex

Here you can see the huge problem with shaft drive in 4x4...the huge housings for the gear change-over from shaft tot side shafts. It has to be closed to protect the gears and the subsequent grease, whereas the belt system runs dry and open with few side effects. The bare weight of a front plus centre diff will cause a steering problem at front. Again, I am sure the power loss on the belt system is much less than for the shaft system.

Way, way back a friend of mine built a 4 wheel braking system for the model car, using the normal rear brakes and hydraulics with master cylinder for the front wheels. This is not so difficult, because a pipe runs between the wheels and the T-junction of a pipe from the master cylinder. The car braked phenominal, but the centre pipe stiffened so much under pressure that the car struggled to steer. There was no hydraulic pipe thin enough on the market at that stage. That was also the 2x4 days. With the 4x4's it will not work because of the free rotation frontwards of the front wheels with the one-way bearing.

Many things developed as the years went by. The first diffs were as you would find in any normal car, with the four gears, but were flimsy in racing. PB from England came with a perfect solution of four parallel gears. This made the diff a lot smaller and very strong.

The same with the 2-speed gearbox. In the beginning they used a drum with a pin inside that catch the shoes under centrifical force and these pins cuased a huge problem in the reliabilty department. Then Serpent came up with the perfect solution of two large nylon shoes that enguage inside a drum and thus sent the centre shaft free to take the torque.....again with the one-way needle roller to prevent the two gears stripping by making up the differation because the two gear ratios never disengage. Everybody use it these days.

Another thing Serpent came up with, is the transponder-system where the car carries a transponder over an antenna at a certain point to record the laps. If I am right, then Formula 1 got this system from model cars!