ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
modbaraban

Re: ALMS: Petit Le Mans 2009

Have you noticed the big change in the 908 front aero since LM?

Looks like that was a bespoke low-DF configuration.

PNSD

Its the same as their old front package, it looks like.

modbaraban

Oliver Gavin (Corvette Racing) after quali:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLji32DCi1U&fmt=[/youtube]

wesley123

modbaraban wrote:Have you noticed the big change in the 908 front aero since LM?

Looks like that was a bespoke low-DF configuration.
Thanks for the [ics, havent noticed it!

What it seems is that they kept the Front from le mans, but only let the air past through the shrouds. This upgrade helps more then you would expect, they where way behind in sebring but now they are way in front.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

modbaraban

I heard about the weather getting very nasty. Some say the 908's are still uncomfortable in the wet. So some say it's a chance for R15. Then we don't know if R15 is good in the wet. But we do know that Acuras are likely to run considerably more DF.

PS (damn Singapore GP):
modbaraban wrote:What was the reason to schedule quali 2 hour later than tomorrow's race apart from trying to clash it with Petit Le Mans start? Galactic stupidity from FOM. I'm not watching the quali today.

wesley123

The 908 might be bad in the wet, but it seems the R15 got bigger problems(i believe it was constnat under/oversteer)

Personally i think we are all overestimating the R15's downforce, look how Peugeot was expecting Audi to be alot faster in alot of turns(you would expect they gain alot in the esses), and Audi is 1.2 secs behind the pole. Personally i think the R15's problem are becoming clearer.

Also ironicly the 908 is becoming really good when it is at its end of its career(i believe they were developping the 909?)
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vyselegend

Warm up didn't start, because of deep water on racetrack. It's bad, if the conditions are as terrible as they were during last week end test, the race could be delayed...

I believe Montagny when he says the rain is favouring Audi. For sure Peugeot are famous "excuses builders", but Frank is a very straitforward man. The Audi have definitly more downforce at the front, which indeed is crucial on a damp track.

Krispy (or any other member in Georgia), what is the word there about the weather? Will it improve for the race, or is it worsening?

Also, about the clash with Singapore qualy, I think it will be tight but ok. Here (GMT+1), F1 qualy is scheduled for 16h, while PLM starts at 17h, so right at the end of Q2 I switch to motors TV, but keeping an eye on live timing to follow Q3...

modbaraban

I have a few friends willing to watch but they haven't got motorsTV. Will there be any speed.tv web coverage like for the quali?

vyselegend

I certainly hope so.

Someone on the "ten tenth" forum posted that link: http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... t-le-mans/.

And then you still have the traditional Acura stream which often helped this season: http://almsacura.globalmediaservices.tv/

Let's post any further link we found in the day. Obviously a justin tv stream based on Speed tv's one should be available sooner or later. :wink:

PS: Delayed Warm up just started, but there's a red flag already, despite no car completed a lap yet...

I wonder what are the track conditions. I bet for heavy rain.

modbaraban

I can see LMP1 laptimes in the 1:20s!!! Acura, Audi, Peugeot or Drayson-Lola... it doesn't matter who drives what now as long as they can keep sailing in the right direction lol

Krispy

Well I am at the race after turn 10 a and 10 b. Here is a phone picture.

[img]IMG_0451.JPG[/img]

well that isn't going to worK...mabye try later.
"In order to finish first, you must first finish"-Stirling Moss

modbaraban

Code: Select all

http://www.justin.tv/ 

+ be_new2it

Ray

They just showed a repeat of Scott Sharps crash and something really scary was pointed out. When he rolled the car the ground was so soft from all of the rain that his helmet actually got mud all over it. Amazing. He's very lucky to have to gotten injured, especially when he hit the wall. Reminded me of Ernesto Visos crash in France a couple years ago.

Scotracer

I just watched 2 and a half hours straight. I'm spent :P

It's amazing that the Corvettes went from top of GT1 (albeit the only GT1 cars for a long time...) to immediately being fastest GT2.

Are the Pugs louder? They certainly sound different to the R15s...

But once again: The Scots are dominating - I hope Marino can get back that deficit :P
Powertrain Cooling Engineer

roost89

I've been following the where abouts of different cars on here: http://scoring.americanlemans.com/index_live2.php
Wht I noticed was that there were two seperate P2 headers. One was 'P2*' and the other 'P2'. Both were for the Dyson racing Lola-Mazdas. What makes the #16 so different to the #20 car?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green