New Indycar for 2012

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
wesley123
wesley123

Re: New Indycar for 2012

isaid you do not get the point...

The point ofus all is that low power and easy drivability is a thing that will be unsuccesfull in america

Americais all about big V8 engines, hard todrive cars with high downforce.

Overall the DW will not even fit america, it isan low downforce caron a high downforce track nature, Americasroad circuits require more downforce then anywhere else.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pierce89

Scania wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Americans want big power awsome sound and to see cars get sideways and twitchy.

The DW doesn't tick any of those boxes. The theoretical physics and dynamis are all the opposite of what makes an extreme beast of car. Indy cars are supposed to be powerful ,hard to control, extreme badass beasts with big power and big downforce. I'd like to see Indy quali go back up over 230mph.
DW can go 250mph, or you can put a V8 on it to hit 300mph if you like.
The DW has a top speed of 250mph. I said lap at 230mph. That means your average speed around the track . High downforce single seater do 227 through the turns. Low downforce DW won't do 200 throgh the turns so it won't lap as fast. Anyone in any university in any country should be able to comprehend this. The DW will just not put on a spectacular SHOW , which is what races should be. Loud, fast and beatiful. The DW doesn't have loud or beatiful,and I don't believe it would be fast.It Looks like a fighter jet for dwarves(including their unusual proportions)
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Scania
Scania

Pierce89 wrote:
Scania wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Americans want big power awsome sound and to see cars get sideways and twitchy.

The DW doesn't tick any of those boxes. The theoretical physics and dynamis are all the opposite of what makes an extreme beast of car. Indy cars are supposed to be powerful ,hard to control, extreme badass beasts with big power and big downforce. I'd like to see Indy quali go back up over 230mph.
DW can go 250mph, or you can put a V8 on it to hit 300mph if you like.
The DW has a top speed of 250mph. I said lap at 230mph. That means your average speed around the track . High downforce single seater do 227 through the turns. Low downforce DW won't do 200 throgh the turns so it won't lap as fast. Anyone in any university in any country should be able to comprehend this. The DW will just not put on a spectacular SHOW , which is what races should be. Loud, fast and beatiful. The DW doesn't have loud or beatiful,and I don't believe it would be fast.It Looks like a fighter jet for dwarves(including their unusual proportions)
DW's Down force-Weight ratio is near to the curren Indy car, so it still got enough down force.

and lighter car ever make faster in connoring, just see super 7, it got no down force, but it still fast, faster then Zonda F and Radical SR3 on top gear test track.

Professor
Professor

The simple truth was that an exotic design like the Delta Wing was never gonna make the grade with the long time fans of US open wheeled racing. Even if it proved to be the best through any level of CFD and wind tunnel testing, no one in the IRL would ever take a leap that great. No way. Too conservative.

Regarding the V8's, I can easily do without them in American racing and on the streets. My 3 litre twin turbo straight 6 BMW has a 300hp, 307 fp of torque, a little monster.

I am a little unsure of the transmission possibilities. Any word of gearbox and differential opportunities to go along with the motor open spec.

djos

Re: V8's, History has shown here in Aus that great race & road cars can have 6 cylinders too (R32 Nissan GT-R aka Godzilla, Chrysler Charger, Torana XU6, Berlina Turbo, Falcon XR6 Turbo etc) and now with some of the new US cars having twin turbo V6's with V8 Power levels (eg Taurus SHO) I have no doubt that US race fans can and will appreciate great 6cylinder road and Race cars too.
"In downforce we trust"

Pierce89

djos wrote:Re: V8's, History has shown here in Aus that great race & road cars can have 6 cylinders too (R32 Nissan GT-R aka Godzilla, Chrysler Charger, Torana XU6, Berlina Turbo, Falcon XR6 Turbo etc) and now with some of the new US cars having twin turbo V6's with V8 Power levels (eg Taurus SHO) I have no doubt that US race fans can and will appreciate great 6cylinder road and Race cars too.
No one said indy needed V8s just over 650bhp

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

The downfore to weight ratio of the DW is much lower than traditional open wheel Indy cars.The DW has 1/3 the df with 2/3 of the weight. Hence a worse df/weight ratio.

djos

Pierce89 wrote:
djos wrote:Re: V8's, History has shown here in Aus that great race & road cars can have 6 cylinders too (R32 Nissan GT-R aka Godzilla, Chrysler Charger, Torana XU6, Berlina Turbo, Falcon XR6 Turbo etc) and now with some of the new US cars having twin turbo V6's with V8 Power levels (eg Taurus SHO) I have no doubt that US race fans can and will appreciate great 6cylinder road and Race cars too.
No one said indy needed V8s just over 650bhp
Agreed, just mentioning that 6cyls get decent respect too.
"In downforce we trust"

Pierce89

well the new engine is a V6

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Scania wrote:US need low power engine & you should. US is the country which make most CO2/person in the world, and the oil go more & more expensive, lets forget the hummer, forget the big size, low efficiency, black smoke and high power but out of proportion of their fuel consumption engine.

what car is most popular in US? not Hummer, not jeep, not V8 engine, not mustant it is hybrid car and small car.

don't make motorsports far away to the real world or it will be foul, racing must always keep relationship with road car.
Hybrids make up less than 2% of the annual car sales. And while small(er) cars are beginning to increase in popularity, they are still down in the list compared to the midsize car,SUV and truck segments.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Here is a great quality article about the 2012 Indycar.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... ent-issues

The article rather calmly discusses an immense number of technical and project-management issues. It's a rare opportunity to learn something from a difficult project.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I have to applaud Scania and his efforts and determination.

The DW car - does it exist? Have we got any footage or laptimes?

To note - 300bhpis not enough power for 250mph whatever you are doing with the car - the drag is too much.

Ref the V8SC - they are awesome to watch. =D>

edit - just read the article - Thanks Bill.

What a crap car...
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Saribro
Saribro

CMSMJ1 wrote:The DW car - does it exist? Have we got any footage or laptimes?
Nothing on track yet. This is the latest I've heard:
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov11.html

strad

The article and we are discussing the DW12...this car..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NJ7R3g7JXs
not the Delta Wing car...right?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall
bhall

The DeltaWing was a contender for IndyCar's howeverthehelltheyarebrandingthisnewthing. In light of Dallara's teething problems with its DW12, I think someone just wanted to see a comparison with the DeltaWing's preparations for Le Mans.

(The jump confused me for a moment, too.)