NASCAR ANd IRL..What gives?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
oneBMW

NASCAR ANd IRL..What gives?

I posted a reply on Cart versus IRL, and added NASCAR in the mix. It was really a poke at Racing in America, for which I will probably get some nasty hate mail for. But I really believe that Americans just don't find road racing that great. And to me, that is what truly makes a race car driver. I have read where many NASCAR drivers would love to see the Road circuits disappear. Every car turns right, why not a race car in America? (sorry SCCA guys, I'm talking national TV type racing) Any one care to throw into this fray why the popularity for road racing in America isn't very good?

By the way, I enjoy CART, if it goes under, why couldn't IRL put some road courses in their series?

West

IRL and NASCAR are much more encouraging to overtaking than any other series. And there are probably more crashes. The cars are also technically much closer to each other than F1 or endurance racing. It's much easier to buy existing chassis and engine packages rather than building a car from the ground up and R&D it to death.

These are my reasons but I'm sure some of them are wrong.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

sharkie17

You two dont understand the NASCAR mentality.. ( Im saying that since one of you is from Washington and the other one is from California.)
If you live in the south (im from Texas but i am working in Europe now), you follow NASCAR. Not IRL, not CART, not F1 nor Leman series or WRC...
why? because NASCAR has American drivers... these American drivers are on TV selling furnitures, KFC, motor homes and every other product that you can think of. When NASCAR fan see these guys on TV, they can relate to them.. they use the same stuff they do! and the fans see these guys racing on sunday driving THEIR brand of cars!!! (not Mercedes, or BMW or Ferrari... Renault? whats dat???).
Most southern fans thinks that F1 racing is snooty high class clinical affair who doesnt allow fans to access the drivers or the garage.
If you go to a NASCAR race, you can readily get an autograph and a tour of the garage area.
Bottom line: NASCAR is a series where joe schmoe off the street can relate to and cheer on every sunday.
IRL? hmm... cant think of a SINGLE american driver on that series...
F1? same...
CART? same...

(im sure there are some American drivers in the above mentioned series but I cant think of any right now).

its just my opinion based on observation.... feel free to comment.

SpeedTech

8) I'm from the land down under.....I LOVE MY NASCAR :wink: :P

I do quite enjoy seeing the Nextel Cup as it is called now. In NASCAR there are no friends, that's what makes it more intereting they are actually fightin it out and not worried about damaging the car :roll:

sharkie17

SpeedTech wrote:8) I'm from the land down under.....I LOVE MY NASCAR :wink: :P

I do quite enjoy seeing the Nextel Cup as it is called now. In NASCAR there are no friends, that's what makes it more intereting they are actually fightin it out and not worried about damaging the car :roll:
hey Speedtech,

what is the V8 series you guys run down there? i know that you guys run big overheadcammed V8 series but i forgot what it was called. is it ran on a road or oval?
and can you ship me a Ford Falcon? :D