NEW For 2011 GP2/11 Chassis

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Pandamasque

Re: NEW For 2011 GP2/11 Chassis

I read someone's comment that was 'they're trying to justify F1 looks by uglifying its feeder series' or something like that. And I agree.
wesley123 wrote:it might even beat the HRT lol
It IS an HRT, only with Sauber livery.

wesley123

rather say an updated HRT...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RacingManiac

I think in GP2 the wide front wing will have more problem than F1...maybe elevated repair bills....the drivers are much more eager and impatient....

Pandamasque

RacingManiac wrote:I think in GP2 the wide front wing will have more problem than F1...maybe elevated repair bills....the drivers are much more eager and impatient....
+1

Also there is absolutely no need to have podvanes and other appendages in GP2. On the other hand they will sell more spares so that's good news for the series, bad news for rich parents.

Belatti

Well, here some pics of the 2011 GP2 HRT car with the Sauber livery and its Pirelli tyres... :lol:

"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

pipex

Interesting placement of the exhaust...
It is venting in the same location of the "cooling" opening in the F1 Red Bull. What could be the reason for this?
"We will have to wait and see".

n_anirudh

I'd hoped the FW upper flap joint and the flap fasteners would be flush..

Belatti

pipex wrote:Interesting placement of the exhaust...
It is venting in the same location of the "cooling" opening in the F1 Red Bull. What could be the reason for this?
Less dense air underneath the RW main plane?
n_anirudh wrote:I'd hoped the FW upper flap joint and the flap fasteners would be flush..
Yeah, unacceptable detail. How cant a company like Dallara that sells hundreths of formula cars a year see that?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

wesley123

what interrests me is the incredibly big rear diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

n_anirudh

The shark fin does not seem to extend all the way back to the rear wing...something similar to the Renault..

Would the HRT Cosworth cars have got this aero upgrade if they would still have a collaboration with Dallara??

ESPImperium

Nice car, looks decently proportioned, and with a little refinement would be better.

Sharkfin looks to be there to try and give the same support the ALMS cars will get next year as well, aiding with negative yaw, and also supplying more sponsor area. The front wing looks a bit crude, but so does the HRTs one as well. The side pod turning vaynes look out of place as they are too high for me. One thing i will say, is that Diffuser is a cavern, people could easily loose their first-born in there.

Personally id like to see that car with a Renault RS27 engine in the back of it, im sure it could be faster than the current tail-enders.

Ill say this, if i were given the chance, id love to take a GP2/08 or the new GP2/11 car out for a test drive.

Tim.Wright

An interesting design point in the GP2 cars is now their front crush zones. Two drivers suffered back injuries in Hungary from a head on collision. This to me is somewhat of a fail for the front crush zone no?

Hopefully this will be improved for the new cars

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

machin

Belatti wrote:
n_anirudh wrote:I'd hoped the FW upper flap joint and the flap fasteners would be flush..
Yeah, unacceptable detail. How cant a company like Dallara that sells hundreths of formula cars a year see that?
It does look rubbish.. but the cars are all the same, and built to a cost; they're not looking for every 0.0001% of performance so obviously decided this solution was "fit for purpose"..... :(

...Same for the simple front wing....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

PNSD

Its the high pressure side so i shouldnt think there would be too much of a performance difference. At least not for a standard car.

ESPImperium

Personally im surprised the GP2 cars dont come with some certain points that, if they are good enough to, their drivers are gonna be expected to use in F1 such as Front Flap Adjustment and KERS for instance.

If i were GP2 id have included a Magnetti Maranelli standardised KERS for certain, the FFA may have may be all good if their drivers are a little less eager i suppose, less do-and-die. Id also have made the drivers all used to the MES ECU and its dash.

I know theres a cost in there, but on a driver development point of view, FFA and KERS would have been ideal, with the latter one being the key one to have in the cars.

Im sure that the next generation of GP2 chassis will have those in it. Id also like to see the GP2/14 chassis (as they renew the cars every 3 years on average) made more along the lines of the 2013 regs for F1, and adaptable to any F1 engine as well for a spec chassis that can get teams onto the grid for a single year if someone was wanting a promotion and relagation from GP2 to F1 for example, or even just to get a team to the grid for a year, taking the Hispania buisness model. As long as the cars were witin the 107% rule, id be fine with that.