Top Fuel Pics

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
flynfrog

Re: Top Fuel Pics

Blanchimont wrote:This could be easily fixed with a few modifications.

Think about your road car, almost any car can slip the wheels in the first gear because of the gear ratio. But in second or third gear only powerful cars are able to do so.

The same can be translated to dragsters. Modify your gearbox in a way that a verly long last gear (low gear ratio) is available, change to this gear at 100 mph, close the clutch and accelerate. Tyre and clutch slip is eliminated this way.

You could also add weight to the dragster, that would also decrease the problem with the wheel slip.
there is no gear box they are direct drive to the rearend they slip the clutch most of the track. Also that equation is more for steady state measurements not so much an acceleration car.

Blanchimont

Then simply close the clutch, increase the total weight of the dragster and proceed as described by me. Or add a very strong gearbox with a gear ratio of 0.5 or less, no problem if designed properly.

If you doubt that my formula produces reasonable results, then just get behind the steering wheel of your car, choose the highest gear available and then accelerate from idle rpm speed to the maximum speed that this gear allows. Make sure the road is flat and the wind is calm and of course the best would be to do the test on an empty German Autobahn.
Capture the speed via GPS or take a video of the speedometer, that'll give you the acceleration you need for the formula.
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

flynfrog

Blanchimont wrote:Then simply close the clutch, increase the total weight of the dragster and proceed as described by me. Or add a very strong gearbox with a gear ratio of 0.5 or less, no problem if designed properly.

If you doubt that my formula produces reasonable results, then just get behind the steering wheel of your car, choose the highest gear available and then accelerate from idle rpm speed to the maximum speed that this gear allows. Make sure the road is flat and the wind is calm and of course the best would be to do the test on an empty German Autobahn.
Capture the speed via GPS or take a video of the speedometer, that'll give you the acceleration you need for the formula.
I don't doubt your formula I have used it in reverse to calculate drag. You are missing very important parts of the discussion the engines can only run for a few seconds. If it were that easy you could simply build a top fuel engine to live for 30 minutes to run on a dyno.

flynfrog

If you read the article they talk about the TQ load cell in the drive line hitting 12,000 foot pounds of torque. I am assuming this is a load spike and not a sustained load. But if it were sustained you would only need to be spinning 4376 RPM to be 10000 HP.

Billzilla

flynfrog wrote:Read back a few pages. Those equations don't really work with a top fuel car they are slipping the clutch for most of the run. When the clutch does hook up they tend to spin the tires.
They spin the tyres down the entire 400 metres anyway, look at the rubber tracks they leave.

flynfrog

Answer to this age old question?

Brian Coat

Very impressive.

I could be wrong but I thought that Per and Karsten Andersson already did that last year and got the same (ca. 10,000 hp) answer?

I think they used same company's sensor as Ian King used on his TFB? Uses same methodology as AVL.

I could be wrong but thought I remember I remember one of the Anderssons talking about that and also quoting how much lower the power was once they'd backed it down to get down the track in Alastaro.

This will have got a lot of publicity (which is what AVL/DSR want, right?) because it is on a top team's car.

FW17

Imagine how much cheaper it would be for these guys to run a 2 stroke engine instead of a 4s troke

djos

strad wrote:Something I kept around to show perspective...

Reading that was pure auto-motive pr0n!! :lol:

[-o<
"In downforce we trust"

Facts Only

WilliamsF1 wrote:Imagine how much cheaper it would be for these guys to run a 2 stroke engine instead of a 4s troke
That statement is really odd. Not cheaper at all, people spend what they can afford to spend
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

bdr529

Facts Only wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Imagine how much cheaper it would be for these guys to run a 2 stroke engine instead of a 4s troke
That statement is really odd. Not cheaper at all, people spend what they can afford to spend
I think drag racers would only try to save money on travel expenses, but certainly not on the motor :D

The rules for Top fuel don't permit it, the motors are based on the Chrysler 426 Hemi, so everyone must run a 90-degree V-8, single camshaft, max 500 cid/min 490 cid block. no double or single overhead cam, and everyone must run the same 2 valve per cylinder-head design.

Facts Only

bdr529 wrote:
Facts Only wrote:
I think drag racers would only try to save money on travel expenses, but certainly not on the motor :D

The rules for Top fuel don't permit it, the motors are based on the Chrysler 426 Hemi, so everyone must run a 90-degree V-8, single camshaft, max 500 cid/min 490 cid block. no double or single overhead cam, and everyone must run the same 2 valve per cylinder-head design.

I didnt realise it was so restricted, everyone pisses and moans about the 'restrictive' F1 rules but it turns out that the motorsport where the engine is pretty much everything has a really restrictive engine formula.

I'm in nmo way disparaging drag racing, what they achive is frankly insane but that has surprised me alot.

I just assumed that "Top Fuel" was anything goes and they just used similar V8's because that was where the knowledge and experience was.

Are there any motorports where there a no (or nearly no) engine rules? Tractor pulling?
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

FW17

When I meant cheaper it was in the context of the engine overhaul after each run. They replace a lot of parts after each run surely it would be less complicated to overhaul a 2 stroke rather than a 4 stroke

strad

back on topic :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss