Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PhillipM

Re: Rear wing flex and FIA regulatory test 2021

The point is the marks would never be on the endplates from the main wing.

peaty

PhillipM wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:09

I never said so, did I?

SiLo

peaty wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 15:19
SiLo wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 14:11
peaty wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 21:01

Under "normal" running condition I would not expect score marks at all.
If they are changing the main plane angle, I would expect score marks just (or mainly) at the rear.
Score marks on both ends...could be an indication of side to side movement, etc.
I think you've completely misunderstood what I said. I mean that there should be marks at the front side of the main plane (towards the driver) as well which would indicate it just from changing the angle of it along with probably, small vibrations causing friction.
I think you're the one who missundertood what I said. Think about the flowfield and the interaction with the rear wing and end plates.
There's a significant suction behind the wing which leads to end plates bending/flexing inwards. As a reaction to that, on the other end of the wing (towards the driver as you said) the end plates are trying to bend/flex outwards. In other words, the friction the wing would encounter at the rear end would be greater than at the front. Hence the score marks just or mainly at the rear end.
I understood what you are saying, but you are ignoring what I am saying. Im just asking for better pictures, and if the score marks are on both sides it's highly likely to just be from the main plane being adjusted at various tracks for different amounts of downforce and drag.
Felipe Baby!

SiLo

PhillipM wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 18:09

That is not true. The markings are on the small vertical plane between those slots and the main plane.
Felipe Baby!

PhillipM

Point still stands, the endplates flexing would never affect it.

dans79

In my personal opinion what we see is fretting marks between the mounting surface and a different main plane!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fretting
197 104 103 7

PhillipM

Same tbfh Dan, it's either seperation flow deposits or just fretting marks from a lower mounting. Lots of noise about nothing.

peaty

SiLo wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 01:15
peaty wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 15:19
SiLo wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 14:11

I think you've completely misunderstood what I said. I mean that there should be marks at the front side of the main plane (towards the driver) as well which would indicate it just from changing the angle of it along with probably, small vibrations causing friction.
I think you're the one who missundertood what I said. Think about the flowfield and the interaction with the rear wing and end plates.
There's a significant suction behind the wing which leads to end plates bending/flexing inwards. As a reaction to that, on the other end of the wing (towards the driver as you said) the end plates are trying to bend/flex outwards. In other words, the friction the wing would encounter at the rear end would be greater than at the front. Hence the score marks just or mainly at the rear end.
I understood what you are saying, but you are ignoring what I am saying. Im just asking for better pictures, and if the score marks are on both sides it's highly likely to just be from the main plane being adjusted at various tracks for different amounts of downforce and drag.
Now I understand what you meant to say!

peaty

PhillipM wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 02:01
Point still stands, the endplates flexing would never affect it.

Could you please explain that?

Big Tea

Could possibly be the scuff where a high point was removed to 'level' that plane and assist fitting?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

JordanMugen

PhillipM wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 02:20
Lots of noise about nothing.
Newey is an experienced designer, why would he lodge a dossier and have Verstappen poke & prod the Mercedes rear wing if there is nothing of consequence there? :)

It seems the FIA saw enough on the confiscated Mercedes rear wing (it was doubtful it was confiscated because of the DRS infraction) to decide to trial a new test, so there must be something to it!

PhillipM

Mind games.
I mean if people wanted I'm pretty sure they could protest Red Bulls fluttery DRS flap too.

bonjon1979

PhillipM wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 10:45
Mind games.
I mean if people wanted I'm pretty sure they could protest Red Bulls fluttery DRS flap too.
Precisely. The fluttery wing hasn't been seen in an official session yet. If it's seen in qualifying or in the race, Merc will protest it and get them DSQ'd. The precedent has been set that regardless of whether it's caused by damage or not, a part that doesn't conform to the rules will mean that's the punishment. It would fall foul of the moveable aero rules as it's very clearly the case that it's not rigid in any sense of the word. That's why red bull have been forced to revert to different wings.

Pany

I think the point of redbull move is force fia technician to allow officially what mercedes and redbull are doing, since new tests are now for 2022. This way for last two race they can optimise the flexing design of wings and associated tricks, without risk of bein disqualified

SiLo

Pany wrote:
02 Dec 2021, 11:45
I think the point of redbull move is force fia technician to allow officially what mercedes and redbull are doing, since new tests are now for 2022. This way for last two race they can optimise the flexing design of wings and associated tricks, without risk of bein disqualified
I think they are throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks to be honest. It's 50% them trying to cover for their own setup mistakes, and 50% them being clueless as to how Mercedes are so much faster.
Felipe Baby!