Surface radiators like Macchi M.C.72

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Xwang

Surface radiators like Macchi M.C.72

The ancient Macchi M.C.72 racing seaplane had "flat tubular water radiators faired into the wings. The twin floats had three radiators on the outer surfaces, the forward radiator for water and the centre and rear radiators for oil cooling.[3] The float struts also had water radiators and another radiator was fitted during hot conditions under the fuselage running from cockpit to tail.[3]" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.C.72).
Do you know if any F1 team has ever tried to use the same or similar approach?

tok-tokkie

Re: Surface radiators like Macchi M.C.72

I watched a Gordon Murray video (there are 2 significant ones on YouTube) where he mentions using them. Only difference is he said his inspiration was the Supermarine aircraft used in the Schneider trophy races.

Sieper

Visit the real plane, and it siblings in the museo storico aeronavale. Really worthy trip, they have a mc.202 too.

Xwang

Sieper wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 18:37
Visit the real plane, and it siblings in the museo storico aeronavale. Really worthy trip, they have a mc.202 too.
I've already done.

Sieper

Me too. Midweek Rome and on “shopping day” I took the train to the Lago di Bracciano. If you like planes this is a must see museum!

Rodak

Gordon Murray designed the Brabham BT46 with surface cooled radiators; it was less than successful. Seems it boiled its cooling water after just a few laps at Donington in the middle of winter and the idea was dropped. A good resource is 'Brabham, The Grand Prix Cars' by Alan Henry. Google 'Brabham BT46 surface cooling' for pictures.

Xwang

Rodak wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 22:54
Gordon Murray designed the Brabham BT46 with surface cooled radiators; it was less than successful. Seems it boiled its cooling water after just a few laps at Donington in the middle of winter and the idea was dropped. A good resource is 'Brabham, The Grand Prix Cars' by Alan Henry. Google 'Brabham BT46 surface cooling' for pictures.
I didn't know that, but if I had to try that approach now I will put the surface radiators in the lowest part of the floor where the air speed is higher and there is a lot of available surface. Maybe at that time the lower side of the BT46 had venturi tunnels and curved surface radiators were not available, otherwise I do not understand why they have not used such surface too.

Rodak

Xwang wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 13:40
Rodak wrote:
I didn't know that, but if I had to try that approach now I will put the surface radiators in the lowest part of the floor where the air speed is higher and there is a lot of available surface. Maybe at that time the lower side of the BT46 had venturi tunnels and curved surface radiators were not available, otherwise I do not understand why they have not used such surface too.
I doubt placing radiators under the car where they would be exposed to damage from rocks, curbs,, etc. would be very smart........

Xwang

Rodak wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:33
Xwang wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 13:40
Rodak wrote:
I doubt placing radiators under the car where they would be exposed to damage from rocks, curbs,, etc. would be very smart........
Beh nowadays when we see a qualifying session red flagged only because there is some gravier and with the outer part of the floor 5 cms higher then the central one, I doubt a surface radiator would be at risk.
Moreover nothing is black or white so if such an arrangement gives a substantial aero benefit (and also a lower centre of mass) maybe it is better to have it even if you risk damages in case of a run outside the track (which is not the normal operative mode of a F1 cars)

PhillipM

The normal operating mode of F1 cars is with the plank scraping along the ground and the rest of the floor banging off every single kerb on the track.

Xwang

PhillipM wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:39
The normal operating mode of F1 cars is with the plank scraping along the ground and the rest of the floor banging off every single kerb on the track.
As far as I can see from TV and images, it does not seem that the rest of the floor bangs off every single kerb. Maybe I'm wrong but when it happens it typically means that something has gone wrong and they go back to the pit to check for damages anyway.

Rodak

Xwang wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 18:47
PhillipM wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 17:39
As far as I can see from TV and images, it does not seem that the rest of the floor bangs off every single kerb. Maybe I'm wrong but when it happens it typically means that something has gone wrong and they go back to the pit to check for damages anyway.
I guess we're not watching the same F1 then........ Besides the damage potential there would be weight and plumbing issues and the fact that it has been tried and was a failure even in winter conditions. I quote Gordon Murray from the Brabham book mentioned above:

'Not only that (speculating about what might happen at Rio in the middle of summer) but we found those dip-brazed panels expanded by about 3/16" when they heated up - so we stripped them all off and re-mounted them on a Teflon back panel, secured on either side by some 270 tiny bolts attached with a special pneumatic tool in order that they could side along very slightly as they expanded. There were all manner of production problems with the panels themselves....'