Scarbs T-Tray proposal

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ringo

Re: Scarbs T-Tray proposal

Anywhere else?
For Sure!!

hardingfv32

What, that quote is not good enough for you? Do you have any quotes that remotely support your position on the purpose of splitter flexibility?

Brian

ringo

No this has nothing to do with the Seesaw discussion.
I am interested in the actual system that ferrari used. I wanted more details.
You can't use the same source as the proposal.
The information came from somewhere; either stepney or mclaren.

I have already narrowed down that the curbs are the only logical place the seesaw can work, if it existed.
It doesn't make much sense else where on the track, as scraping the ground is not beneficial among other discrepancies.
Secondly the actual mechanism itself has to be different, it cannot be the exact same thing ferarri used. The FIA would have to be really stupid to pass that.

This is why i want actual unadulterated details on the floor itself. I don't like to read embellishments. That article like the other articles about the ferrari floor don't really say much and they're all the same almost word for word; like most things on F1 sites nowadays. They all have that speculative feel to them. It speaks of the floor and what it does, but is says nothing substantial about the device itself and the mechansim.

I believe that curb riding is the only way that something like the seesaw thing can work. The rest of the theory never added up. Unlike aero loading running into a curb doesn't depend on the car lowering and the force is pretty much high more most speeds of the car. We've seen what a curb can do to felipe's suspension.
It surely can bend up a floor.
To add to this, floor may be able to flex from the sides, as the curbs are approached diagonally.

This reminds me of Vettels pole last year in australia. He was sailing over the curbs.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kae7lhgyZeA[/youtube]
There are other examples where the car goes almost undisturbed over curbs.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32

During the last GP there was good video shoots of the cars all running the splitters very close to the track surface, say about 15 mm in a steady condition. Have any data on how low they can get without negative effects on the floor performance?

Brian

Richard

Here's some interesting pics I found of the RB5 back in Melbourne in March 2009. There is much more wear in the middle portion of the plank.

Something has definitely changed between then and this year

viewtopic.php?p=99464#p99464
zgred wrote:Unusual angle of pictures.

hardingfv32

This wear pattern is exactly what the rule developers thought they wanted to control when they designed the plank rules. They put the largest test hole right in the center of the high wear zone.

As I propose earlier, another goal of the "see saw" system is to relocate the high wear zone to a location in front of the test holes. This forward high wear location is not subject to wear testing.

This photo helps demonstrate my theory.

Brian

ringo

hardingfv32 wrote:What, that quote is not good enough for you? Do you have any quotes that remotely support your position on the purpose of splitter flexibility?

Brian

I follow logic, i don't follow journalists if they don't have quotes or supported reasoning. I take their points but i don't gobble them up.
I prefer engineer quotes and FIA reports. Remember jounos have to eat, so articles have to be embellished, no matter how little the actual substance is.

For the ferrari floor, i remember an illustration from somewhere. It was a side view.

I don't need support for my ideas. Thinking out the variables objectively is safe enough. Of course it's nice if your thoughts end up being what is actually happening.

I know for a fact that the floor doesn't scrape at high speeds. I was watching keenly weeber's floor in abudhabi. There was an air gap.
However i did see him hit a curb and the car didn't move much vertically. The splitter flopped upward and came back to rest as he went over.
Can't remember when this happened though, qualifying or race. I think it was Q3 on his out lap.

Curb riding is important as exit speeds, stability and traction can be kept high if the car goes over with full composure.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32

Why the babble, do you not have a challenge to my high wear zone relocation theory?

Brian

ringo

Babble?
and you are talking about relocating wear.

Find more info on the Ferrari floor first, then we move from there.
when i say info i don't mean the regurgitated tid bits with a whole lot a filler built around it. Just the straight facts.
For Sure!!

hardingfv32

Pretty naive to think they would make anything public about a any system banned or not. Even if they had been DQ'd you would never see the system.

Then how much engineering creativity does it take to create a system that did not need to meet the current rule restrictions? Not saying they did anything wrong, but the game was much easier then. The "see saw" system is a much more creative design.

Must we waste time explaining the simple system Ferrari used? Are you having a had time with that flex system too?

Brian

ringo

hardingfv32 wrote:Pretty naive to think they would make anything public about a any system banned or not. Even if they had been DQ'd you would never see the system.
So we have the right to frabricate it all and then analzye the fabrication, the go to charlie whiting and make it look like it's real.
Not saying they did anything wrong, but the game was much easier then. The "see saw" system is a much more creative design.

Must we waste time explaining the simple system Ferrari used? Are you having a had time with that flex system too?

Brian
If you consider what ferrari used as simple, yet you admit not ever reading anything substantial about, then it reflects poorly on your reasoning.
For Sure!!

timbo

Where did you see Webber's floor?
The most info on Ferrari floor is in WMSC transcript from spygate. They described system as buckiling stay.

ringo

Try qualyfing. Can't remember the turn, but it could be in one of the chicanes.
For Sure!!

timbo

ringo wrote:Try qualyfing. Can't remember the turn, but it could be in one of the chicanes.
Is it only one turn or the whole lap?

ringo

one turn. a left turn, with the camera looking on the right side of the car.
It could even be in the slow down lap after the race too.
For Sure!!