New squarer tyres for 2012 by Pirelli

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
raymondu999

Re: New squarer tyres for 2012 by Pirelli

He would probably be able to reveal what measurements are taken though, surely?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jersey Tom

Don't take everything you read / hear at face value, folks.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Tim.Wright

I would have thought square tyres would have very large oscillations in the contact patch vertical force

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

PhillipM

raymondu999 wrote:Yeah that's what I thought too. Surely if you wanted to measure wear you'd have to measure how much tread you have left? I can sort of believe monitoring degradation; if Pirelli constantly monitor the tyre temperatures and sort of run their own live simulation; from which they work out deg; but wear? How?
Only thing I could say is very, very accurate slip and speed/rpm sensors, you'd be able to work out both the change in acceleration as the tyre loses rubber and correlate that against speed/wheel slip/engine rpms on the straights for the tyre diameter.

Hell of a set of sensors on board the chassis these days if they can do it that way though!

italian

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think you'll even need that - Paul Hembery is very sociable and answers any questions you tweet him.
I've asked but he didn't answered. Maybe I was right.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, but about the universe I still have some doubts." Albert Einstein

manchild

Pirelli could have also figured out how to write their logo circularly, like it was ever since I've heard of the brand. It sucked last season too. In 2012 it is changed but still looks amateurish and unsophisticated. Like someone was bothered to bend the text and stamped default logo. Pathetic.

BTW, this was the way to color sidewalls:

Jersey Tom

Should have gone with these sidewalls-
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.