2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
F1.Ru

Re: Ferrari F2012

alogoc wrote:I think Ferrari will try in Canada new interpretation of this kind of exhaust.only will use coanda ramp of some kind!

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2287/f2012rtv.jpg

Ferrari already winning in this race of development in this area i.e. exhaust, so i dont think they will going back to all those complete acer duct ages rather they will further develop the exhaust they have right now. as it will reduce potential chances of miscalculation as well as minimize the uncertainty related with exhaust.............

And AMoZ keep up ur great artwork mate really impressive those drawings are................ =D>
Formula One is a game.............. but not any ordinary game for me

alogoc

F1.Ru wrote:
alogoc wrote:I think Ferrari will try in Canada new interpretation of this kind of exhaust.only will use coanda ramp of some kind!

Ferrari already winning in this race of development in this area i.e. exhaust, so i dont think they will going back to all those complete acer duct ages rather they will further develop the exhaust they have right now. as it will reduce potential chances of miscalculation as well as minimize the uncertainty related with exhaust.............

And AMoZ keep up ur great artwork mate really impressive those drawings are................ =D>

i didn't mean Acer ducts,just different direction of blowing!
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

wesley123

I agree with alogoc, they probably will try a new, more McLaren-esque solution soon.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bhall

I don't know. The more things progress, the less I'm inclined to believe that the exhaust can play a positive role this season. At the start of the year, engineers spoke of being able to reclaim about 25% of the effects from last year, and that equates to about 0.1 seconds if one uses as a rough guide the relative shift in performance when off-throttle blowing was significantly curtailed at Silverstone. If the reports from preseason testing are true, it seems there's a lot more potential to adversely affect the car than there is potential to improve it.

Then again, I still don't have the foggiest idea for how to discern improved tire performance from improved car performance. It's just one big gray area.

Ozan

Mclaren-esque or sauber-esque exhaust doesn't mean that will work properly and well on the car. we see that neutral exhaust design on the Merc or Lotus cars can also work well. Exhausts don't mean much no more like last year.

markp

Does anyone feel the most gain in developments is from attempting to free mass flow in the coke bottle area?
Ferrari cleaned this up in Spain and went better. Mercedes went better with new sidepod to increase air to the back. Mclaren ditched snowplough, raised nose, made exhaust bulge smoother. Williams have loads of room here due to gearbox.

PlatinumZealot

bhallg2k wrote:I don't know. The more things progress, the less I'm inclined to believe that the exhaust can play a positive role this season. At the start of the year, engineers spoke of being able to reclaim about 25% of the effects from last year, and that equates to about 0.1 seconds if one uses as a rough guide the relative shift in performance when off-throttle blowing was significantly curtailed at Silverstone. If the reports from preseason testing are true, it seems there's a lot more potential to adversely affect the car than there is potential to improve it.

Then again, I still don't have the foggiest idea for how to discern improved tire performance from improved car performance. It's just one big gray area.
+1.

The Merc is as fast as a bat out hell and it has no fancy exhaust.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ArchAngel

n smikle wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:...The more things progress, the less I'm inclined to believe that the exhaust can play a positive role this season... If the reports from preseason testing are true, it seems there's a lot more potential to adversely affect the car than there is potential to improve it...
+1.
The Merc is as fast as a bat out hell and it has no fancy exhaust.
+2.

shelly

Re: 2012 Exhaust Blowing & Coanda

I disagree about mercedes not having a fancy exhaust. It may not be as visually striking as others, but maybe is more effective. In my opinion Lotus are the ones who have gone for a no fancy-no harm exhaust, and the argument that they are fast nonetheless applies to them.

Does anybody know if when testing 1:1 in windshear wt, lotus are able to fire the engine and run the exhaust? I think they can not use the real exhaust, but have to simulate it with some other gas (do not know how they do get rid of it if it is a closed circuit wt).

And slightly off topic, does anybody know where do mercedes perform their aero test 1:1? Some airport in england? Windshear also? maybe some Benz wt in germany? I know MB has a very advanced wt in Stuttgart, but I do not remember if it has a full width rolling road system
twitter: @armchair_aero

Teechnical

Blowing the beam still does create downforce, doesn't it?
"We have a new toy" - Fernando Alonso.

hardingfv32

shelly wrote:And slightly off topic, does anybody know where do mercedes perform their aero test 1:1? Some airport in england? Windshear also? maybe some Benz wt in germany? I know MB has a very advanced wt in Stuttgart, but I do not remember if it has a full width rolling road system
1) There are only three 100% tunnels presently. Windshear and two others owned by OEM's. I do not think Benz has one.

2) I can see that there would be air conditioning issues if you use the engine inside the tunnel. There would not be any reason to design a tunnel air conditioning system to handle an operating engine except for this odd F1 requirement.

Brian

Crucial_Xtreme

F1.Ru wrote:

Well reports are Ferrari will indeed bring back the Acer Ducts. So they must feel confident they can get them to work properly. Pat Fry said getting the exhaust to the floor is the way to go, so we will see what happens.

Considering the 2011 cars had more downforce than previous year cars(08, 09, 10, etc) it's understandable teams want to get a similar effect in 2012. Even if it's just part of the performance percentage of the 2011 cars.

rjsa

Nice example here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SownhzPzsa4#t=13s[/youtube]

See how the accelerated rockect thrust pulls the initial blast back into the fire pit.

aussiegman

The Dyson Bladeless fan also utilises the Coanda Effect in its operation to produce a low pressure area via the effect in the outer ring surface to initiate air flow and then further relies on viscous shear to increase the volume, speed and direction of air affected.

While it has a circular cross section, the general principle remains the same, if reduced, for an open (F1) vs. closed (circular fan ring) system.

For the fan, air is initially forced in the desired direction through the apertures across the shaped "wing" cross sectioned fan ring resulting in a low pressure area via Coanda effect and movement initiating movement the desired direction. This initial flow of air in turn draws larger volumes of air from the surrounding region in front of the ring aperture, drawing air at increased volumes due to the effect of viscous shear as well as the resulting low/negative pressure region created by the movement of the air through the device ring itself.
Never approach a Bull from the front, a Horse from the back, or an Idiot from any direction