Why dont we see vortices coming off the front wing?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
seinfeld
seinfeld

Why dont we see vortices coming off the front wing?

Hey guys I wanted to ask. We are seeing a lot of vortices coming off the rear wing , but how come none ever come off the front?
my theory is is that the front wing is more efficient, and designed better, as opposed to the rear wing, which is unavoidable for certain edges etc where it comes from??

Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: why dont we see vortices coming off the front wing?

Its still there, its just rare for it to be visible. Whenever you have a wing that is generating a pressure difference between the upper and lower surfaces, it will trail out a vertex behind it. The front wing probably actually has worse vortexes relative to its size as it has a lower aspect ratio, but they are used to actually do something useful on the front wing as they can be used to help shape flow over the rest of the car.

seinfeld
seinfeld

well i guess my next question is if its worse how come we cant see them?
why is it we cant ?

marekk
marekk

Good question.
Simpliest answer would be IMO ground effect. Causing weaker vorticies (and less induced drag as a result).

Lycoming
Lycoming

Ground effect increases the pressure difference between the high and low pressure side. Vortexes are created when those 2 sides mix at either end of the wing. So no, ground effect would also increase vortex strength (AKA induced drag).

manchild
manchild

Because front wing endplates are located in front of front wheels, while rear wing end plates are located above and backwards from rear wheels (there is no pressure mounting behind them, as it happens in front of front wheels - behind front wing endplates).

This is R29 or R30 CFD, I'm not sure. It explains it better than any words.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Lycoming wrote:Ground effect increases the pressure difference between the high and low pressure side. Vortexes are created when those 2 sides mix at either end of the wing. So no, ground effect would also increase vortex strength (AKA induced drag).
Uhh no, Ground effect increases the pressure difference *by destroying those vortices*.

Those vortices exist because air is spilling from the high pressure side to the low pressure side. Ground effect occurs when that vortex hits the ground and can't get all the way round. Because the vortex can't get all the way round, less air spills over, and a higher pressure differential is created.

shelly
shelly

Some weeks ago a pcture of a catherham in winter testing was published in this forum, showing condensation streaks of vortices coming from the front
twitter: @armchair_aero

Lycoming
Lycoming

There isn't a whole lot of air spillage over the wing itself, the endplates take care of that. nowadays, vortices generally form behind the wing, but they still produce drag as a result.

Ground effect in cars is primarily due to the venturi effect sucking air through the wing, increasing flow speed on the low pressure side.

strad

Could it be that that air is messier and the vortices quickly get mixed in?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

Tip vortices are not a sign of an efficient wing. They are a sign of a wing working hard.
They are an unavoidable side effect of having a wing, but the car is shaped to work with the front wing vortices, i.e. the whole flow through and around the side has a benign inter-relation with the vortices such that, in addition to aerodynamic benefits within this flow, the vortices are made smaller and weakened to the point of invisibility. The designer is using up some of the vortex energy to manipulate the flow. Everything is designed to affect everything else, in a good way, until, downstream of the rear wing, nothing can be done.

So the front wing vortices are weaker the those from the rear wing.
This is 3 dimensional flow, difficult to visualise.

Tip vortices are detached flow phenomena, which persist long after the car has passed. The car is just dumping energy from the rear wing.

In flying vortices can persist for a mile or so, in modes equivalent to F1 'high downforce', such as landing or violent manouvres.
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 15 Apr 2012, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

I cancelled it !

strad

Is Tommy another one?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

don't know what you mean !

I cancelled my post (not knowing the neat way of getting there)

Nando
Nando

marekk wrote:Good question.
Simpliest answer would be IMO ground effect. Causing weaker vorticies (and less induced drag as a result).
I can´t remember which page but in the Lotus renault thread there was images of the Renault with vortices coming off the front wing endplates.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."