Vehicle Development Project - Interests

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mech_coen

i suppose the engine size will still be a v8
don't think about something you really want, think how to get there

Scuderia_Russ

I reckon a circuit use, single seater where there is plenty of variation in chassis design already, not neccessarily F1.

manchild

What about F1 car according to 1982 technical regulations but in compliance with 2006 safety regulations?

Turbo, ground effect, wide car, wide slicks but with all safety regualtions from 2006 :idea:

mech_coen

6 wheels :D

no just kidding, could be nice, lots of aids and not necessarly a f1-car nice plan

Can the ones who are interessed once again post it in this topic?

kilcoo316

Maybe best if we keep it simple to start with, and then iterate to a more optimised solution?

But to be honest, I don't even know where to begin, I assume like aircraft design there is a preliminary design stage, and we would go through that first.

Assume wheelbase, engine size, gearbox size, heating requirements, engine air inlet requirements, exhaust length and go from there?

mech_coen

well if we take the lenghts of cars from this year, a v8 block (dunno the cc), and rest you have to fill in I think, there's a rumour a engineer will help us a bit so maybe he can help us or you have some good stuff?

mech_coen

Wheelbase: 3090mm
Overall length: 4530mm
Overall height: 950mm
Overall width: 1800mm
Overall weight: 600kg including driver and camera

maybe we can use this as example

Steven
Owner

manchild wrote:What about F1 car according to 1982 technical regulations but in compliance with 2006 safety regulations?

Turbo, ground effect, wide car, wide slicks but with all safety regualtions from 2006 :idea:
So the 2008 regulations are still general with nothing concrete so far. We can't do anything in "general" so let's have a look at 2008:
- wider tyres
- a lot less downforce
- wider cars

Basically, I think we could start designing a car like the 1997 cars with possibly even wider tyres. We should finally evolve our project so that we have a car that complies with 2008 regs when they are there and finished.

Also, minimum weight of 600kg is a bad starting point, as that minimum will be something like 500kg in 2008.

mech_coen

how do we interpretend less downforce? how do we design that?

Steven
Owner

Free to make suggestions about that of course ;)

However, designing a 1997 car with current diffuser and rear wing regulations will be quite down on downforce already.
Of course we might need to change further when the regulations are finalised

kilcoo316

We'd need to fix our regulations before even starting the car!! :lol: :lol:

Does anyone have a copy of the 1997 regulations?

mech_coen

well the rules of 2008 are in here so watch that one first :wink:

Tom

I noticed this on the news letter and although I have no experience in anything of this scale, I am doing Higher Technological Studies (A-level physics in England I think) at school, I am interested in pursuing this type of thing as a career, I have a very basic CAD system (I can design basic uninteresting parts, while the big guys concentrate on the big stuff) and I can persevere with the boring parts knowing that the end result will be so fantastic.

I would love to try something like this and if you'll let me lend a hand I would help as much as possible.

Great idea guys.

Tom
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

RH1300S

How are you going to realise the car?? Building it is probably out of the question.

What you could do is to model it for a computer simulation.

Example rFactor; this sim has a great physics engine and tyre model and there are some really great quality add-on tracks available.

The car shape is done as a 3D mesh (can be quite detailed), then the graphics are applied.

Apart from the phyiscs files, you can constrain vehicle parameters/tuning options to stop the thing becoming a ridiculous fantasy.

There is too much to describe in the physics files; but all the important stuff is there in great detail, you can even model the suspension geometry to get the camber curves/movement you want. Suspension can be conventional, push-rod or even with a third spring - ARB's of course. A fairly complex diff can be modelled (front or rear drive). Aero drag, downforce etc. etc. Lights and instruments if you want them. Different types of geabox. Also, engine torque curves, interia etc. etc.

Just about the only major missing thing is (for now ;)) the fact that a decent 4WD system with centre diff cannot be modelled.

Once the thing is built, you can prove the concept on real race tracks (Spa anyone?). Other game mods that replicate original race series can be fine tuned to produce lap times very close to real life.

Just a thought............. :twisted:

mech_coen

that's an idea I have too, design a formula car and test it in for example Rfactor, so we need someone whoes involved in making cars into arealistic simulation car in a realistic inverioment where we can test the whole thing. I myself play GTR where I can analyze everything with MOTEC and I thought rfactor uses something like the same concept.
This is a good idea to see for ourselfs how our car will handle reallife but we're in a early stage of development so this is something we need to discuss and overthink in the time we have for the project (as long as we like :wink: )