Vehicle Development Project - Interests

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tom

Easiest, strongest and cheapest would probably be a steel cage with aluminium panels bolted to it, although I think the best stratergy is to look at old F1 designs...that birdcage you mentioned, was there not a Maserati with that structure.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

flynfrog

Larnach wrote:Will do, I have very limited suspension experience... I really do think I need to invest in a good program to get the geometry right. I would also like to learn more about how a suspension is affected by geometry changes. Herb Adam's Chassis Engineering is comprehensive but doesn't elude too much to what is actually going on.

Do any of you have experience with suspension design and/or software to test out geometry?
buy all of carrol smiths books i think the suspenison one is tune to win

Nick the problem i see with honeycomb its only strong in compresion unless you are talking about honeycomb carbon composite

Rallemulle

designs...

I would LOVE to be a part of this project! Just what i've been lookin for. I could help with designing and building, since i've built alot in glassfibre and so. Or do you guys already have a designer in here? I'm starting my studies on vehicle technics in like a year, but still looking for something like this to do until then:) I've been drwing cars in perspective all my life, i could send some examples of a singleseater if you want??? Thanks for answering!!
Rasmus, Stockholm

PNSD

Is this a project from scratch or will you base this on an already made model and simply develop from that?

Sounds a interesting idea. Hope all goes well.

Ted68

You know, ask Mech Coen to put up some of the stuff we (Ciro Pabon and I) had on his defunct website. I would still be interested. But agreeing ovn what the project was to be was the biggest problem....

Cornell Racer#1

- Steering and suspension -------- Interested
- Body styling -------- Interested
- Engine and transmission -------- Interested
- Aerodynamics -------- Interested
- Control systems -------- Interested
- Ergonomics
- Materials -------- Interested
- Safety

As you can see, I am interested and have experience in most of them..... However, my #1 personal preference would be Aerodynamics!!

flynfrog

cornell were you at Detroit last summer

tomislavp4

I´m here for the body styling :D but there is not much else :cry:

humble sabot

I've been lurking for a while. but this is only my second post so i hope this tack doesn't bother anyone.
This is a very interesting project.
I think the first thing we need to do is take the temperature of those interested.
Those still interested if you might; provide a small short list of what purpose the finished product would serve, we can have much more useful discussions thereafter.

I guess for flavour i'll start off:

1-be a very optimal and minimal solution
2-spiritually a successor to the Bugatti t-35
3-there is no 3? the 35 is such a masterpiece to me, in concept and the execution therof that applying what must have been the underlying philosophy to modern understandings of vehicle dynamics, materials etc. would be a very worthy venture.

But that's just me, and a only a start at that,
Let's have it guys, what would be your goal?
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

TRAyres

Is this going to be a single seat racecar for the street, or is it going to be a roadcar?

I'm interested in participating if someone is looking to design a roadcar, a REAL roadcar. The lotus 7 already exists. But here is a very cool project:
http://factoryfive.com/table/ffrkits/GTM/GTMkit.html

This is a steel tubeframe and aluminum panels and a carbon fibre body, and is roadgoing. Designing something like it would be very cool.

I do like the idea of using a motorcycle engine, but I want it to have two seats and a closed roof. Its hard to get the ladies to jump in your ride when it doesn't have a roof and they need to wear a helmet to go anywhere...ya know? :-D

Anyway, I signed up specifically for this. I'm down, lets get on it.
Lets agree on a design (or several competing designs), then move towards specs, then we can divide up the specs and implement them.

ferrarigp

Hi, I was stopping by and wanted to say that although i currently do not have much experience in physics ( except the intensive program i have been following since last year about all kind of physics and chemistry ( differential equations, forces, Differente fluid flow models, etc), I really am interested in this project and would like to help as i can.

I have some free time, and will have even more free time in the future.
I also have access to AUTOCAD as well as solidworks and CCM.
If help is needed for a website design, 2D graphics is my best domain.

if you need to contact me, my email is found on my profile.

Hope to hear from you all later.

by the way, I think it would be appropriate to work with a mailing list, or a forum someplace to start brainstorming ideas in a structured post / format.

miqi23

As you have access to Solidworks and AutoCAD, are your modelling skills good enough to help us out in various bits and pieces if we really get something started...

This thread dies after sometime and lies in the back for weeks and some guy comes in to volunteer!.... and it goes on and on and nothing gets done :lol:

Carlos

http://www.thekneeslider.com/archives/2 ... to-racing/

http://www.thekneeslider.com/motorcycle-powered-cars

Here's Inspiration - Harvey Builds a 440cc Sports Prototype In 90 Days

A Homebuilt - One Man Do It Yourself Project For Kawasaki

ferrarigp

miqi23 wrote:As you have access to Solidworks and AutoCAD, are your modelling skills good enough to help us out in various bits and pieces if we really get something started...

This thread dies after sometime and lies in the back for weeks and some guy comes in to volunteer!.... and it goes on and on and nothing gets done :lol:

Well, I have gaming modeling experience, as I took part in my younger age in some modifications for Battle Field 1942.

However, that was with another software, and the method is not the same in Solid Works and Autocad.

However, Autocad's modeling seems pretty much strait forward, so I could most likely help you guys with modeling of some simple parts.

My Solidworks experience is VERY limited, I would rather nto use that ( although it could be usefull, for stress analysis with suspension, springs, etc.)

2D sketch are something I can do without much problems however.

How about we got some kind of private forum going on, with a certain structured collective thinking, and then start with the modeling / designing etc?

I mean a private forum would at least enable us to structure the idea, follow the progress, everyone could define their domain of expertise, and then we could figure out a development project.

humble sabot

perhaps the moderators of this forum could provide a venue if working off of this particular thread doesn't work out. I think however that since the conversation follows one thread in a real sense we should stick to here for the moment.

Everybody seems to have an opinion on why it isn't going anywhere. I'll tell you why, because there's no consensual vision; everybody who's got this idea of building their own car in mind has a different idea of what that means and what they want to be driving around in.

Let's say for the mean time that we decide on a platform.
My suggestion to start with is an open top tub that seats two people close side by side. nothing too revolutionary in that sense. from there one could have variations in front and rear subframes and add a roof.
Let's have your suggestions.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance