Pirelli 2014

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
CBeck113

Re: Pirelli 2014

Actually, they wouldn't even need a test, if someone didn't request tires which degrade so quickly to increase the action. This was stupid. Every tire manufacturer, including Pirelli, could design a tire which has enough grip and can hold an entire GP. But that isn't what their customer wants, which started their problems. I would hope/propose that they are overly careful at the beginning of the season, and develop them during the season, maybe through an additional training session with non-current drivers (finally driving time for test drivers, or alternatively young drivers) at selected GPs. The smaller teams can seel their seats for this test, while the larger ones can choose who gets the wheel time. To make it interesting, all the data collected must be shared anonymously among all participants (i.e. the data can't be traced back to a single team). I'm sure the teams would find ways to get around these limitations, but I think everyone involved would gain from this.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

lebesset

FoxHound wrote:I agree that the entire grid needs to be present to test these tyres. But as ever, it is the teams and Pirelli requesting these tests take place rather than the FIA taking the lead and naming a venue.
How many more debacles need to occur before they can act in a preventative fashion?
To ban the use of the 2014 tyre in Free practice 3 at Interlagos just goes to show how inept the organisation is at times.

The opportunity arises to use these tyres and the stewards refuse, in spite of the logistics involved in getting the rubber to Brazil in the first place and the consequences it has on the teams.
Massive face palm moment.

The solution for me would've been to hold a test the day after the GP, weather permitting. Saves millions for everyone, and it can be collated with data collected during the GP.
am afraid logistics would have militated against staying on for an extra day at short notice

but surely it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to start practise 3 half an hour early to test the prototype tyres !
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

turbof1

Pirelli is giving itself more freedom by producing conservative tyres. The biggest issue is something they can't test now: if the tyres can handle the torque for next year. What they can do right now is test the tyres in the lab and send the data to the teams. But they can do whatever they want now within the dimensions laid down by the regulations.

I don't think we'll get any dangerous dry weather situations with the 2014 tyres. Probably a lot of complaining about wheelspin. The biggest problem will be when it rains.

Testing might not be as necessary as it seems.
#AeroFrodo

Huntresa

A step in the right direction, especially seeing as the 2013 cars can put much more pressure on the tyres in terms of DF then the 2014 cars can, but hardly the same pressure on the rears tho during accelaration.

Moxie

turbof1 wrote:Pirelli is giving itself more freedom by producing conservative tyres. The biggest issue is something they can't test now: if the tyres can handle the torque for next year. What they can do right now is test the tyres in the lab and send the data to the teams. But they can do whatever they want now within the dimensions laid down by the regulations.

I don't think we'll get any dangerous dry weather situations with the 2014 tyres. Probably a lot of complaining about wheelspin. The biggest problem will be when it rains.

This is extreme engineering, and peoples' lives hang in the balance. While the engineers may design and build a race worthy product in the lab real world testing is absolutely necessary to confirm that the actual coincides with the theoretical in a variety of situations.

Jonnycraig

FoxHound wrote:I agree that the entire grid needs to be present to test these tyres. But as ever, it is the teams and Pirelli requesting these tests take place rather than the FIA taking the lead and naming a venue.
How many more debacles need to occur before they can act in a preventative fashion?
To ban the use of the 2014 tyre in Free practice 3 at Interlagos just goes to show how inept the organisation is at times.

The opportunity arises to use these tyres and the stewards refuse, in spite of the logistics involved in getting the rubber to Brazil in the first place and the consequences it has on the teams.
Massive face palm moment.

The solution for me would've been to hold a test the day after the GP, weather permitting. Saves millions for everyone, and it can be collated with data collected during the GP.
The teams all had the chance to run the tyres during P1 & P2. Only Red Bull bothered. Such is life.

Jonnycraig

Huntresa wrote:
A step in the right direction, especially seeing as the 2013 cars can put much more pressure on the tyres in terms of DF then the 2014 cars can, but hardly the same pressure on the rears tho during accelaration.
More important is what Pirelli do with the information gathered, with the rumours earlier this year that Merc want the rears as hard as a brick and the others are against that.

SectorOne

And this was initiated by a rational vote among all teams present in F1 and simply not a move made by the kingpins of Formula 1 to maintain some form of advantage over the "peasants"? :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

turbof1

Moxie wrote:
turbof1 wrote:Pirelli is giving itself more freedom by producing conservative tyres. The biggest issue is something they can't test now: if the tyres can handle the torque for next year. What they can do right now is test the tyres in the lab and send the data to the teams. But they can do whatever they want now within the dimensions laid down by the regulations.

This is extreme engineering, and peoples' lives hang in the balance. While the engineers may design and build a race worthy product in the lab real world testing is absolutely necessary to confirm that the actual coincides with the theoretical in a variety of situations.
There is one extremity taken out of the equation: high wearing down tyres. It does make things easier, a lot actually.
#AeroFrodo

FoxHound

@Kiril

So 3 different powerplants... Ferrari, Renault and Merc V8s at the test.
Do you think this was by design or merely just the top 3 finishers?

Will Pirelli then sending Force India and Mclaren the Merc data. And then Caterham, Lotus and Williams getting the Red Bull data and so on and so forth?
Some sense to it this way if so.
JET set

amc
amc

Pirelli? Doing Something by design? Come on... :wink:
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something."

raymondu999

I wonder if they will be 2013 cars fitted with prototype 2014 donkeys... that would be interesting
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FoxHound

amc wrote:Pirelli? Doing Something by design? Come on... :wink:

Pirelli do as the FIA tell them. 8)
FIA: we want rubbish tyres to spice up the show.
Pirelli: yes sir, 2 bags full sire!

Tyres begin to disintegrate.
FIA: what are these rubbish tyres we cant race on?!
Pirelli: :wtf:
FIA: change it at once.
Pirelli: yes sir, 2 bags full sire!

Pirelli are caught between the teams, the fia and the regulations.

I doubt pirelli selected any teams, although they may have pit the recommendations forward.
Its the FIA with final say on these matters.

I think the decision to choose these 3 teams is a good one, seeing as they have the closest links to the power trains.
JET set

FoxHound

raymondu999 wrote:I wonder if they will be 2013 cars fitted with prototype 2014 donkeys... that would be interesting
No chance of that. All 2014 engines will be tested on track in an f1 car in 2014.
However, there is a video you've seen which may suggest that some road cars have been modified to run the v6 turbo.
JET set