renault side pods

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
felipezsc
felipezsc

renault side pods

at the beggining of the year renault used to have this tear drop looking cooling chimneys ( march 2003 F1 racing magazine page36.) now they have this new one. (F1 racing June 2003 page 132) where is the advantage of the new one to the old one?

adrian13
adrian13

Hi, I haven't noticed this. Do you have pictures that you can post regarding this change?

I tend to think it must be due to the way that air was being channeled to the pods. So the new design probaly enabled them to get more cold air into the cooling system.

I would like to see the pictures though.

Steven
Owner

well I don't know actually what you mean by this, but nevertheless, there are two differences I have noticed when looking back to several GP's during this year.
First of all, the chimney at Melbourne was completely seperated from the winglet right after it, while at the moment the chimney helps to support that winglet, and is thereby connected to it.
Secondly, but not so mmuch consisitent, is the size of the chimney, where on Monaco (high cooling needs) these are a lot wider that what is normally the case

drspeed
drspeed

the upforce of the air generated by the winglet helps extract the hot air under the rear cowl quicker than without it. The closer the two are, the better this effect is.

But i'm sure it wont give any downforce benefits because the air over the winglet is more hot than that of below; so the air pressure is lower above the wing than below, reversing the way wings treat pressure to generate downforce.

Steven
Owner

well pointing into that, the extraction of air out of the chimney would even be a lot more succesful when the winglet would be right in front of the chimney, instead of just behind it 8)

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

He...if I was the designer I think I'd put the chimney behind the winglet.....(don't think I'm stupid.....just bear with me a second).

Well as the air passes through the winglet there's a low pressure system created behind the wing...(almost the same thing as the slipp stream behind the car)....and this low pressure system will suck the air out of the chimmney (cause air always goes from high pressures (inside the chimmnney, in this case) to low pressures (behind the wing, in this case)! So....this means that the winglet will create downforce and the "hole" created in the air by it's passing will suck the air out of the chimmney!

It's also true that the hot air will go over the rear wing.....which is not the best idea....cause of air convection....the difetence in temperature inm the air will cause turbulence.....but....its always worth a try!!!! What does everyone think about this?

Maybe some day I'll talk about another 4 ideas (2already used in F1 but put on the shelf because of problems during testing) I have for F1....that according to a couple of physics/aerodynamics teachers I've spooken to....have agreed that they might work.....but one of them I'm still working on...cause it only works in fast corners....the medium slow ones....are the head ache! :P lolol