Dirty air sensitivity and regulations

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mrluke
mrluke

Re: Dirty air sensitivity and regulations

But the incredibly basic front wings in 1995 still did not allow anymore overtaking than 2008.

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:
bhall II wrote:...effects in any case are difficult to conceptualize, especially if air flow is vented from a fan at a different velocity than surrounding air flow, as it would create very unusual vortices.
That was not a problem with EBDs, any reason they would be with a fan?
All else being equal, and in terms of flow structure, there's no difference between an exhaust-blown diffuser and a normal diffuser. (EBDs didn't "seal" anything. Exhaust gases were used to increase the kinematic viscosity of the high-pressure component to the edge vortices that will form within any diffuser.)

My bio-CFD just isn't good enough to see the influence of a fan on wake turbulence beyond the fact that it would have an effect, and the effect would be kinda weird.

What's crystal clear, however, is the reality that the efficacy of any measures taken to reduce sensitivity to wake turbulence would be short-lived, because development will negate them. It also doesn't matter if prospective cars are more or less sensitive than the cars of today, because racing is relative, and the relative difference between those prospective cars would be the same.

In other words, even though today's cars are less sensitive to wake turbulence than cars from the 2000s, the impact of wake turbulence is no easier to overcome. In other other words, it doesn't matter if losing 25% of total downforce means losing 50N or 500N; the result is a car that's only 75% of what it is in other conditions. (That's the part the OWG missed by a mile.)

I think looking at fan car concepts, which essentially provide turbocharged downforce, probably steers us in the right direction. In fact, Gordon Murray's ideal F1 car is a fan car in which a turbine engine is used for both propulsion and downforce...

All the same, I just don't see how fan cars would change the situation competitively.

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
bhall II wrote:...effects in any case are difficult to conceptualize, especially if air flow is vented from a fan at a different velocity than surrounding air flow, as it would create very unusual vortices.
That was not a problem with EBDs, any reason they would be with a fan?
All else being equal, and in terms of flow structure, there's no difference between an exhaust-blown diffuser and a normal diffuser. (EBDs didn't "seal" anything. Exhaust gases were used to increase the kinematic viscosity of the high-pressure component to the edge vortices that will always form within any diffuser.)

My bio-CFD just isn't good enough to see the influence of a fan on wake turbulence beyond the fact that it would have an effect, and the effect would be kinda weird.
EBDs were not weird, but pretty effective.

Any reason the air exit of a fan cannot be used similar if not equal to EBDs?
bhall II wrote:What's crystal clear, however, is the reality that the efficacy of any measures taken to reduce sensitivity to wake turbulence would be short-lived, because development will negate them. It also doesn't matter if prospective cars are more or less sensitive than the cars of today, because racing is relative, and the relative difference between those prospective cars would be the same.

In other words, even though today's cars are less sensitive to wake turbulence than cars from the 2000s, the impact of wake turbulence is no easier to overcome. In other other words, it doesn't matter if losing 25% of total downforce means losing 50N or 500N; the result is a car that's only 75% of what it is in other conditions. (That's the part the OWG missed by a mile.)
Agree, and that´s exactly the reason I look for different solutions

No development can negate the efficiency of a fan blowing at higher rpm than normal when in a slipstream, can´t it?
bhall II wrote:I think looking at fan car concepts, which essentially provide turbocharged downforce, probably point us in the right direction. In fact, Gordon Murray's ideal F1 car is a fan car...

http://i.imgur.com/3FhFY4L.jpg

All the same, I just don't see how fan cars would change the situation competitively.
In my humble opinion, they might change it because you can adjust DF levels easily without any phisical modification in the car, so you can always limit max DF in normal conditions, and allow "higher" DF when in a slipstream. Not higher actually, only higher rpm/pitch to keep same DF

bhall II
bhall II

My point about EBDs is that the flow structures associated with exhaust-blown diffusers and those associated with non-exhaust-blown diffusers are identical, which means they have the same effect on wake turbulence. As such, we can't look at the wake patterns concomitant with EBDs as if doing so warrants special consideration.

It's the development of aero elements peripheral to the fan that would likely negate the desired competitive effects of the fan. If the idea is to counter such development with variable downforce limits, then you might as well standardize the cars, because it would have more or less the same effect, and it would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper.

EDIT: Alonso speaks the truth...
ESPN, Apr 28, 2016 wrote:"Well I think we need to wait and see, maybe finalise the rules because there have been some up and downs in terms of confirming the final thing. I think it is going in the right direction, we need to make the cars faster and the show better. We've been remembering for the last week the race in Imola in 2005 with Michael and me and then in 2006 with the opposite result, both very interesting races. There were three or four overtakes in the whole race and it's considered one of the best shows. I don't think that we need to put that much attention on the overtaking and following cars and things like that because before it was as difficult as it is now, or even more, and the races were great.

"We just need the fastest cars to produce a good show, we need to put some noise in the cars, some good battles and the big names fighting for the championships. That will improve the show. If in football you put Barcelona-[Real] Madrid for the championship everyone is watching the television. If you put, with all the respects, two small teams that no-one knows the people from those towns will watch the game but no-one else."

PlatinumZealot

turbof1 wrote:
My own personal feelings now are along the lines of reducing the downforce levels to less than they are whilst increasing mechanical grip (perhaps beam wing - or similar device - unlimited designing could be used to promote diffuser flow to be pulled upwards and over the following car?). Wheel to wheel racing is what we all crave - if it is easier to get behind someone due to the smaller wake influence, and you have confidence in your car that it will hold up mechanically in the straights, then what else could promote wheel to wheel action more? Even though our current F1 sees many more overtakes than before, a sizable proportion of them are DRS aided on the straights. Yes I know that you often will get some immediate wheel to wheel action based on the apex location and defensive move/evasion which the drivers execute, but we all know that its the overtakes around the outside of corners or constantly trading places through the slower sections of the track which we all start to jump up and down on our couches in joy as we watch (or perhaps that's just me.....? :D )
Ah another person who does not really care about the amount of overtaking, but gets down to the heart of it: close racing! Welcome to the club of fine tastes.

In theory making the cars more aero neutral and rely on mechanical grip is a good way to promote closer racing. 2 things though:
1. You cannot infinitely exchange aero grip for mechanical grip. There is some room at the moment, but ultimately you'll arrive at a point where downforce level cannot go lower, no matter what you do to increase grip levels for the slightest bit, without making the car slower over a lap. Downforce will always have a multiplier applied on the grip it provides, compared to mechanical grip. But again: there is still room at the moment to do this.

2. Reducing downforce has to be done right. We saw in previous aero reduction moments during the last 15 years, that the problem got worse. It's why the issue of turbulent airflow and even its correlation towards close racing has to be studied better.

Lastly, these cars are too easy to handle, which makes errors from the drivers less frequent. My proposal would be to remove power steering.
I agree with turbo on the close racing thing. I rather see swashbucking racers josslting side by side for position all day with only a handful of overtakes than a buzzfest of a hundred passes down the straights .
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:My point about EBDs is that the flow structures associated with exhaust-blown diffusers and those associated with non-exhaust-blown diffusers are identical, which means they have the same effect on wake turbulence. As such, we can't look at the wake patterns concomitant with EBDs as if doing so warrants special consideration.
Sorry but I don´t understand what you mean, but I´ll repeat my question just in case...

Did EBDs caused any noticeable difference in wake turbulence? I can´t remind any driver complaining about EBDs as a problem at this regard, they increased DF and fuel consumption, something the exit of a fan wouldn´t do, it would only increase rear DF
bhall II wrote:It's the development of aero elements peripheral to the fan that would likely negate the desired competitive effects of the fan.
How? I can´t see that happening. If the peripheal elements evolve, total DF will be higher, but the fan will still be able to increase the speed to keep the car balanced.

If the air exit of the fan can be used to improve rear DF too, then the system would be able to improve both front and rear DF when in a slipstream, as a blown diffuser obviously is less sensible to dirty air as it produce it´s own airflow, airflow wich would be increased when in a slipstream as the fan increase rpm/pitch to keep the car balanced, so it would also increase rear DF, at a fewer rate than front DF so fan speed would still serve as a balance tool, but rear DF will also improve

How could the development of perpheral elements negate this?
bhall II wrote:If the idea is to counter such development with variable downforce limits, then you might as well standardize the cars, because it would have more or less the same effect, and it would certainly be a helluva lot cheaper.
No, the only variable DF limit is imposed by dirty air, same as today, only that the fan will be able to compensate that a bit, unlike today.

What´s the reason you insist talking about standarization? Nobody said a word about standarization, only you. The idea is as simple as switching from current FW to fan FW with automatic variable speed to keep the car balanced on any situation
bhall II wrote:EDIT: Alonso speaks the truth...
ESPN, Apr 28, 2016 wrote:"Well I think we need to wait and see, maybe finalise the rules because there have been some up and downs in terms of confirming the final thing. I think it is going in the right direction, we need to make the cars faster and the show better. We've been remembering for the last week the race in Imola in 2005 with Michael and me and then in 2006 with the opposite result, both very interesting races. There were three or four overtakes in the whole race and it's considered one of the best shows. I don't think that we need to put that much attention on the overtaking and following cars and things like that because before it was as difficult as it is now, or even more, and the races were great.

"We just need the fastest cars to produce a good show, we need to put some noise in the cars, some good battles and the big names fighting for the championships. That will improve the show. If in football you put Barcelona-[Real] Madrid for the championship everyone is watching the television. If you put, with all the respects, two small teams that no-one knows the people from those towns will watch the game but no-one else."
Except at the end of 2005 race, when spanish reporters asked him about how did he manage the pressure he replied: "Pressure? I had no pressure at all, I was sure he couldn´t pass me if I didn´t make a mistake, so I was quite calm".

Yeah, exciting race when there´s no chance to any real battle....

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:
bhall II wrote:My point about EBDs is that the flow structures associated with exhaust-blown diffusers and those associated with non-exhaust-blown diffusers are identical, which means they have the same effect on wake turbulence. As such, we can't look at the wake patterns concomitant with EBDs as if doing so warrants special consideration.
Sorry but I don´t understand what you mean, but I´ll repeat my question just in case...

Did EBDs caused any noticeable difference in wake turbulence?
I'm not always easy to read. (I defy anyone to peer into my mind and build clear statements from the chaos.)
The idea is as simple as switching from current FW to fan FW with automatic variable speed to keep the car balanced on any situation
Condition-dependent variable fans would make virtually all front wing development a moot point, because it would rarely make sense to do much more than increase the strength of the fans. If that's the idea, it makes more sense to just standardize the wing with simple, giant elements that are inherently more resistant to wake turbulence.

If, on the other hand, the idea is to strictly govern the use of the fans...
How could the development of perpheral elements negate this?
...designers would continue to aggressively develop solutions beyond the influence of the fans. Since modern downforce strategies typically involve aerodynamically coupling upstream elements to downstream elements, those solutions would be susceptible to disruption by wake turbulence.
Except at the end of 2005 race, when spanish reporters asked him about how did he manage the pressure he replied: "Pressure? I had no pressure at all, I was sure he couldn´t pass me if I didn´t make a mistake, so I was quite calm".

Yeah, exciting race when there´s no chance to any real battle...
Yes, I remember the last time you brought that up...
Alonso was a child fighting the Kaiser in his untouchable Ferrari.
That's likely to stay with me for a while, because the implication appeared to completely contradict your point; I'd never before seen someone refer to a 25-year-old man as a "child"; and I (still) don't know how a shitty car on even shittier tires can be considered "untouchable." (I'm genuinely not trying to mock you here. I'm just easily amused sometimes.)

In any case, I think you're reading too much into his statement. He expressed confidence in his ability and his car, nothing more.

turbof1

I remember that race as if it was yesterday! That duel between Alonso and Schumacher made me crawl completely on top of my chair out of tension. Even though there was no passing involved, the intense close racing was amazing. It further reinforces my belief the amount of overtaking is not a parameter for entertainment in F1. Close racing is.
#AeroFrodo

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Did EBDs caused any noticeable difference in wake turbulence?
I'm not always easy to read. (I defy anyone to peer into my mind and build clear statements from the chaos.)
:mrgreen:

But I still don´t know what did you mean. I was asking about your previous statement (a fan will increase wake turbulence) and if it would be any different to EBDs, since both are the same, air expelled at high pressure

Since EBDs were far from a problem, but the opposite, a DF generating tool, I was wondering if the air exit of a fan could be used the same, so instead of harming the rest of the car aero, it might improve also rear DF despite the fan only works at the front
bhall II wrote:
The idea is as simple as switching from current FW to fan FW with automatic variable speed to keep the car balanced on any situation
Condition-dependent variable fans would make virtually all front wing development a moot point, because it would rarely make sense to do much more than increase the strength of the fans. If that's the idea, it makes more sense to just standardize the wing with simple, giant elements that are inherently more resistant to wake turbulence.

http://i.imgur.com/oCsVWVU.jpg
More resistant to wake turbulence than a fan? Are you sure about this Bhall?

Even if true, a simple FW cannot change DF at will, while a fan can, so I can´t see how it would make more sense
bhall II wrote:

Yeah, exciting race when there´s no chance to any real battle...
Yes, I remember the last time you brought that up...
Alonso was a child fighting the Kaiser in his untouchable Ferrari.
That's likely to stay with me for a while, because the implication appeared to completely contradict your point; I'd never before seen someone refer to a 25-year-old man as a "child"; and I (still) don't know how a shitty car on even shittier tires can be considered "untouchable." (I'm genuinely not trying to mock you here. I'm just easily amused sometimes.)
Ok my memory is not that good :oops: , I guess I was too excited at that point watching my favourite driver fighting with the untouchable Kaiser, at least unteouchable the past 4 seasons.

Keep in mind I´m spanish, and no spanish driver had never won a single race before. Watching Alonso (who at that point was only a young and unknown driver) fighting with the Kaiser was just too much for a F1 fan who had never seen any spanish driver fighting at that level.

When I hear him in after the race, it was a bit dissapointing to realice he didn´t win because of being the fastest, but because it´s simply imposible to overtake at Imola if the driver in front don´t make a big mistake

To me this is one of the main problems of current F1, it´s not the fastest who win

bhall II
bhall II

1. Simply put, EBDs were about heat; wake structure was identical to other diffusers; and the effect can't be replicated by fans.

2. A standard wing could be more resistant to wake turbulence than current wings. That said, I could (probably) design a better standard front wing than anything Adrian Newey might devise in accordance with the regulations of a fan formula, because I could operate outside the rules since there would be no reason to worry about the concept ever being developed into something that creates unreasonably high levels of downforce. That means I'd have no limits and could pen the absolute best possible solution (without a pressing need to accommodate the additional weight and complexity of fans).
Andres125sx wrote:To me this is one of the main problems of current F1, it´s not the fastest who win
And I think that's the crux of our disagreement.

No series in the history of motor racing has ever rewarded anyone for being the fastest. Racing is about completing the required distance as quickly as possible, and factors like strategy, reliability, efficiency, etc., are every bit as important as raw pace.

Stuck behind a car you think you should be able to overtake? You and/or your team screwed up somewhere along the way. You qualified too far back, or you fumbled your strategy, or poor cooling/reliability deprives you of max power, or poor tire management doesn't allow sustained pace or strategic flexibility, and so on and so forth.

Everything that happens on a race track happens for a reason, and winning means you've exploited the sum total of those factors better than everyone else. (Having the fastest car sure as --- helps, though.)

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:1. Simply put, EBDs were about heat; wake structure was identical to other diffusers; and the effect can't be replicated by fans.
Are you saying EBDs improved DF only because of heat and the increased airflow had no relation? :shock:

In that case, they would be called Exhaust Warm Diffuser, but they´re Blown diffusers

Actually, heat was a problem, not an advantage....
The RB5 that preceded 2010 year's RB6 car, already had high placed rear wishbones, and this allowed the subsequent car to run exhausts mounted low down and exit well below the wishbone, avoiding any overheating issues of the carbon fiber suspension components. Teams have run exhausts in very close proximity to the wishbones now for many years, the differing strategies teams employ reduce the thermal load on the carbon fiber wishbones. Either gold foil film, extra carbon fiber heat shield or these are often coated with ceramic finishes to reflect heat. (Check on the heat shielding article here).
http://www.formula1-dictionary.net/diffuser_blown.html

Also
However, the Newey designed solution on the RB6 is a little more complicated than it first appeared. In the RB6's case Newey made a vertical window in the diffuser to allow the diffuser to be blown both under and over by the exhaust. This helps the airflow going up the outside shoulder of the upper diffuser deck, which probably has little energy and struggles to keep attached, and the high speed exhaust gas will drive more flow through the diffuser to increase downforce.
So I don´t see any reason the air exit of a fan cannot be used exactly the same as a EBD, except it wouldn´t have the problem of overheating carbon fiber
bhall II wrote:2. A standard wing could be more resistant to wake turbulence than current wings. That said, I could (probably) design a better standard front wing than anything Adrian Newey might devise in accordance with the regulations of a fan formula, because I could operate outside the rules since there would be no reason to worry about the concept ever being developed into something that creates unreasonably high levels of downforce. That means I'd have no limits and could pen the absolute best possible solution (without a pressing need to accommodate the additional weight and complexity of fans).
And you would only get an extremely unbalanced car with so much front grip it would oversteer dramatically to the point it would be undriveable.

That´s the reason I said it wouldn´t need any restriction, the fan will only increase front DF, so if the rear DF is still generated by traditional wings, floor and diffuser, that would be the limiting factor. Front DF driven by the fan could only be as high as rear DF, at least if you want a balanced car
bhall II wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:To me this is one of the main problems of current F1, it´s not the fastest who win
And I think that's the crux of our disagreement.

No series in the history of motor racing has ever rewarded anyone for being the fastest. Racing is about completing the required distance as quickly as possible, and factors like strategy, reliability, efficiency, etc., are every bit as important as raw pace.

Stuck behind a car you think you should be able to overtake? You and/or your team screwed up somewhere along the way. You qualified too far back, or you fumbled your strategy, or poor cooling/reliability deprives you of max power, or poor tire management doesn't allow sustained pace or strategic flexibility, and so on and so forth.

Everything that happens on a race track happens for a reason, and winning means you've exploited the sum total of those factors better than everyone else. (Having the fastest car sure as --- helps, though.)
I know what you mean and agree to some point, but only to some point, because if you take it to the extreme, then there should be no overtaking at all at any race or category. If you qualified in front you deserve to win, so that who was 2nd did something wrong and don´t deserve the victory

Racing is not that simple Bhall, some cars and drivers are better at qualifying, some at race. Those who start 11th and below have a tire advantage so at some point they will be in front of faster cars and drivers without any merit on his own.... There are SC wich will always be an advantage for those close to the pit lane so they will overtake in the pits to faster cars who didn´t do anything wrong and will be forced to overtake on track....

Overtaking is part of racing, and must always be because racing is not maths, there are unpredictable factors. Ignore overtaking is necessary, and F1 will be dead sooner than you imagine. That´s the reason FIA adopted absurd rules to increase overtaking chances like shitty tires or DRS, because overtaking is necessary

turbof1

Andres wrote:Are you saying EBDs improved DF only because of heat and the increased airflow had no relation? :shock:
In short yes. There are some factors where I disagree with Bhall on this:
-He says it has no 'sealing' effect. Sealing might be the wrong word altogether, but in my eyes what it does is virtually lowering the diffuser fence a bit closer to the ground. Usually a diffuser performs better the closer the fence is to the ground, but only up to a certain point after which you'll choke your vortices inside the diffuser. More info can be found here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15480

However, he is right to tell you there is no relation. The heat energizes the vortices inside your diffuser, which will increase airflow velocity. But the EBD are not about pumping extra airflow into the diffuser.
Actually, heat was a problem, not an advantage....
1. The heat was a mechanical problem, not an aero problem.
2. You quoted a piece about the RB5 and RB6. Neither used what we know as EBD. I believe the RB6 blowed the top of the diffuser, which is not the same.

Finally:
However, the Newey designed solution on the RB6 is a little more complicated than it first appeared. In the RB6's case Newey made a vertical window in the diffuser to allow the diffuser to be blown both under and over by the exhaust. This helps the airflow going up the outside shoulder of the upper diffuser deck, which probably has little energy and struggles to keep attached, and the high speed exhaust gas will drive more flow through the diffuser to increase downforce.
The quoted piece from formula 1 dictionary can probably described as partly rubbish. Again especially because the lower diffuser of the RB6 never was driven by the exaust gasses (the top diffuser was).
#AeroFrodo

bhall II
bhall II

Andres125sx wrote:Are you saying EBDs improved DF only because of heat and the increased airflow had no relation? :shock:
By virtue of added energy, mostly from heat, exhaust gases were used to increase the kinematic viscosity of the high-pressure component to the diffuser's edge vortices, which are beneficial and develop with or without exhaust gases. This allowed the vortices to rotate somewhat faster and with much greater resistance to shear stress (like that caused by porous asphalt whizzing by at 150 mph). In turn, it allowed for increased diffuser ride height (rake) without the profound loss of underbody efficiency that would ordinarily accompany such a change.

Any other explanation is wrong (but nonetheless typical of a "specialized press" that doesn't know --- about aerodynamics, not that I'm in any way an expert on the subject).

The outright pressure of an exhaust jet is simply no match for air flow around a car...

And you would only get an extremely unbalanced car with so much front grip it would oversteer dramatically to the point it would be undriveable.
That's the logical outcome of a very poor design. Current front wings already have variable downforce characteristics. So, it's not reinventing the wheel.

krisfx
krisfx

turbof1 wrote:I remember that race as if it was yesterday! That duel between Alonso and Schumacher made me crawl completely on top of my chair out of tension. Even though there was no passing involved, the intense close racing was amazing. It further reinforces my belief the amount of overtaking is not a parameter for entertainment in F1. Close racing is.
My thoughts exactly! - Close racing > push to pass overtakes!

Andres125sx

Ok then forget about the blown diffuser by fans, but that was only an idea for a secondary use of the fans
bhall II wrote:
That's the logical outcome of a very poor design. Current front wings already have variable downforce characteristics. So, it's not reinventing the wheel.
Not on the fly, and that´s exactly the intention.

And not reinventing the wheel, F1 cars are not fan cars only because of the rules, so it´s not reinventing the wheel, far from that, only trying to use something known wich would make posible adjusting DF on the fly to reduce dirty air problem