Michelin ready to come back to F1

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Thunder

Michelin ready to come back to F1

Michelin has announced they are ready to come back to F1 even without Tire Competition, but demands changes to the technical regulations.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118945

I think it would be great. I know the 18 Inch Wheel discussion is fruitless but i for one hope it will happen.
Tires the Drivers can push for the whole distance are very needed .
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

skoop

Re: Michelin ready to come back to F1

i fully agree with you. i think it would be great to see them back.
i guess this is pretty bad news for pirelli. if their terms get accepted by everyone and they're in the sport with pirelli, no one will chose pirelli.
i know that pirelli is just delivering the product they are asked to, but their tires now have the reputation of not lasting very wrong. michelin on the other hand delivers long lasting tires to wec and has a lot experience with it.

astracrazy

What makes you think that tyres that can last longer will = better racing? It will be boring as hell. Every driver can drive flat out, but so is the driver in front of him.

We don't have refuelling any more so the only shake up we have during the race is the tyres.

Imo, the best solution for the show is to bring back refuelling (ok its not the cheapest way or safest) and then you could bring in the durable tyre to remove that aspect and allow the drivers to go flat our for there stint

Thunder

That could all be part of the regulation changes Michelin wants. (although i seriously doubt we will ever get refuelling back)

I don't think Pirelli makes bad Tires, in fact they do exactly what Bernie wants them to. But if the entry of Michelin causes some changes to go away from the "i can't push for 99% of the Race because my Tires will melt" i'm all for it. The Tires take a way to big part of the Show imho.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

wesley123

I'd say remove the forced running of two compounds and the forced tire change. Also, let teams pick their flavor of compound for the race.

The thing is, with a team being forced to run two compounds it just revolves to a single strategy that is best, a strategy that all will take. If teams can run a single set the whole race through why not let them? if another team wants to run 3 sets of soft tires then let them. It would allow multiple paths to the same goal as it becomes dependent on the drivers, cars and teams abilities of what they can do, rather than make tires last for a planned stint because that is the same road everyone is on.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

McMrocks

Even though i agree that the current Pirellis are a tad too soft, I don't think harder tyres will give us better racing. Without refueling we will see the most boring processions in F1 history. The current level of perfection in F1 will make sure that all cars are in the order of their competitiveness after the Q with no changes possible during the race.

With the current Pirelli someone who manages the tyres better can still make some positions up in the race. When every lap in the race is driven like a Q-lap that will be gone

astracrazy

I tend to think just leave it alone. There seems to be the need to constantly change something. The racing really isn't that bad.

Just leave it as it is for a while, theres much more important issues the sport should be focusing on solving

And besides, F1 doesn't need Michelin enough to change everything for them, Michelin should want F1

SectorOne

astracrazy wrote:What makes you think that tyres that can last longer will = better racing? It will be boring as hell. Every driver can drive flat out, but so is the driver in front of him.
Some people are completely fine watching F1 drivers the supposedly best drivers in open wheelers putter around at 60% of their ability for 1,5 hours. They also call it racing, can you believe that?

2011 marked the beginning of the fake era in Formula 1.
Tires designed to not last, "improve the show".
Drag reduction system designed to remove any skill needed to pull of an overtake/better strategy.

It´s these things that will kill the sport faster then simply having cars being able to go flat out in the race.

Once you´ve ventured into that path, artificial rain and a fan boost is just around the corner.
And it´s all there to "improve the show"...
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

George-Jung

I think if they would allow refueling again, than that will make a big difference.
Without refueling Schumacher would never been able to make that 4 stop strategy work during, i believe, the Hungarian GP.

Also I don't understand why they banned the refueling? Because whats the difference between starting the race with 100kg of fuel onboard, or starting a race with 30kg of fuel and have the other 70kg of fuel available during pitstops.. Except the last option giving a more exciting race..

dans79

George-Jung wrote: Also I don't understand why they banned the refueling?
to prevent stuff like this from happening.

197 104 103 7

thestig84

dans79 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdyuN_cUqjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvgjhfQLTNk
Not only that but people seem to forget how boring it was when the faster guy behind stayed put and saved fuel, waited until the guy in front stopped and just went 1 lap more to pass him through the pics. How exciting.

George-Jung

thestig84 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Not only that but people seem to forget how boring it was when the faster guy behind stayed put and saved fuel, waited until the guy in front stopped and just went 1 lap more to pass him through the pics. How exciting.
Today they do the same, instead of saving fuel.. they save tyres and push when the car in front stops..

wesley123

thestig84 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

What's the problem of that? It's all part of the sport.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

George-Jung

It looks like I was just one day too early with giving my opinion.. :lol:
Formula 1 bosses have agreed to bring back refuelling in 2017 as part of a range of measures aimed at making the sport more exciting.

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=22348

strad

Every driver can drive flat out, but so is the driver in front of him.
Gee, What a horrible idea. Racing flat out no holds barred? :roll:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss