2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2017-2020 Aerodynamic Technical Regulations

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:22
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:03
At 15 minutes - 21 minutes he also discusses downforce/drag for lap times. Very interesting and agood refresher that even dropping huge amounts of drag does very little for lap time compared to sticking on lots of downforce.
I found the bit of the video relevant to the discussion - Willem is always incredibly insightful and entertaining but it is a 2hr lecture (I'd recommend the whole thing if you have 2hrs spare on top of a number of his other online lectures) and I didn't think people would want to sit through it to get to the point in question.

Drag may not impact laptime as much as downforce but the effect on fuel consumption cannot be ignored, especially at a time when fuel use is limited. Limiting drag could be a major variable if we want flat out racing rather than fuel saving races, on top of what I think would be a huge impact for following in races.
At full tilt these engines will drink ~2-2.8kg of fuel per lap depending on the track. That's full on qualifying mode and no effort is made to conserve fuel. In a race pace setting 1.7-2.3kg per lap seems to be the average depending on track. With Austria and Monaco being outliers with 1.2kg being the average per lap. Spa Canada Silverstone Shanghai and Suzuka are the most fuel thirsty circuits, to my surprise even more so than Azerbaijan and Monza.

Canada was hard to do without at least 10 laps of fuel saving, an extra 5kg will make things better but won't stop lift and coast for a few laps to make the end of the race.
Saishū kōnā

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:22
Every regulation made adds cost by forcing the teams to "study" the regulation, and find its limits. Thus, no matter how "competent" the regulators, their package is always the most expensive part of F1.
We're discussing regulation wrt improved racing and overtaking not cost cutting. Millions of £s are being sunk into chasing tiny aero improvements that do nothing for the sport and are the very cause for the processional racing every single season.

Close off the aero side, and open up other areas for development that will improve racing and be relevant to road car development and safety. If the same money is spent by teams at least there's a point to it, I don't think we'll ever get hedgehog bargeboards on our hatchbacks for the school run.

I think the fixed level of downforce is an interesting idea and would push development into overall aero efficiency. If F1 doesn't take giant steps forward it'll be made to look anachronistic by the likes of Formula E and pure engineering series with AI and driverless cars in a few short years.

Just_a_fan

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 12:22

Drag may not impact laptime as much as downforce but the effect on fuel consumption cannot be ignored, especially at a time when fuel use is limited. Limiting drag could be a major variable if we want flat out racing rather than fuel saving races, on top of what I think would be a huge impact for following in races.
It was more the bit where he points out that you spend much longer in the slow parts of the track than in the high speed parts. And that is why downforce has such a big impact on lap times. As he said, ideally you'd have a car that was high downforce up until you were no longer traction limited, and then have downforce, and hence drag, drop away. That would give the best lap times.

It would be stunning if someone could design a car that, above a given speed threshold, stopped producing any more downforce. A kind of automatic f-duct, if you like, but purely driven by speed-dependant separation on the wings etc.

If a team could do that reliably, they'd walk the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Shakeman wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:53
Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 15:22
Every regulation made adds cost by forcing the teams to "study" the regulation, and find its limits. Thus, no matter how "competent" the regulators, their package is always the most expensive part of F1.
We're discussing regulation wrt improved racing and overtaking not cost cutting. Millions of £s are being sunk into chasing tiny aero improvements that do nothing for the sport and are the very cause for the processional racing every single season.

Close off the aero side, and open up other areas for development that will improve racing and be relevant to road car development and safety. If the same money is spent by teams at least there's a point to it, I don't think we'll ever get hedgehog bargeboards on our hatchbacks for the school run.

I think the fixed level of downforce is an interesting idea and would push development into overall aero efficiency. If F1 doesn't take giant steps forward it'll be made to look anachronistic by the likes of Formula E and pure engineering series with AI and driverless cars in a few short years.
It's very apparent that we both watch F1 for very different reasons then...

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 18:17
It was more the bit where he points out that you spend much longer in the slow parts of the track than in the high speed parts. And that is why downforce has such a big impact on lap times. As he said, ideally you'd have a car that was high downforce up until you were no longer traction limited, and then have downforce, and hence drag, drop away. That would give the best lap times.

It would be stunning if someone could design a car that, above a given speed threshold, stopped producing any more downforce. A kind of automatic f-duct, if you like, but purely driven by speed-dependant separation on the wings etc.

To an extent they do some of that - they run bodywork flexibility up to the limit of the rules. Various parts will also lose load at speed to reduce some drag. It's not as extreme as it could be but the FIA is petrified of wings flying off - like happened a fair few times around the early 2000's as teams really started trying to exploit flexibility.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 19:09

What reasons do watch F1 for then?

turbof1

jjn9128 wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 19:55
Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Feb 2019, 18:17

To an extent they do some of that - they run bodywork flexibility up to the limit of the rules. Various parts will also lose load at speed to reduce some drag. It's not as extreme as it could be but the FIA is petrified of wings flying off - like happened a fair few times around the early 2000's as teams really started trying to exploit flexibility.
Oh yeah, I remember that mclaren rear wing just shearing off at one point.

#AeroFrodo

jjn9128

turbof1 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:37
Oh yeah, I remember that mclaren rear wing just shearing off at one point.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Shakeman

The biggest issue with flexi wings was shown by Vettel's Red Bull throwing itself into Button's car when the load was changing dramatically.

nzjrs

Shakeman wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:54
The biggest issue with flexi wings was shown by Vettel's Red Bull throwing itself into Button's car when the load was changing dramatically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nSfH1oa3mU
To me that is an over-ambitious move and a driver error.

jjn9128

nzjrs wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 13:18
Shakeman wrote:

Slow it down and watch the front wing
#aerogandalf

AMG.Tzan

jjn9128 wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 13:46
nzjrs wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

Slow it down and watch the front wing
Half of the field if not all of them went straight there after the Vettel accident just because of the dump patch...so i think it has more to do with it being a bit wet on slicks with relatively low tyre temps probably!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Shakeman

nzjrs wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

It looks like an attempted overtake to me nothing over ambitious.

The car is made unstable by the load imbalance on the front wing but that dramatic banking of the wing would've also reduced rear downforce during the braking phase and helped the car spin round on the front axle.

Zynerji

Shakeman wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:35
Zynerji wrote:

Man vs. Nature

Artificial constraints make my teeth itch.

Shakeman

Zynerji wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 17:35
Shakeman wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 11:35
Zynerji wrote:

Man vs. Nature

Artificial constraints make my teeth itch.
Don’t know what version of F1 you’ve been watching recently but the F1 I’ve been watching the whole of my adult life could hardly be described with any accuracy man vs nature.

The whole of the F1 rule book is a catalogue of artificial constraints, that’s what makes F1 rather than a catalogue of different artificial constraints the F2 formula.