actual chord length used by any team for the upper rear wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Raz2015

actual chord length used by any team for the upper rear wing

Hello folks,
I am a final year mechanical engineering student, so I am quite new to all this F1 technical stuff. My final year project is titled "Optimization of rear wings of F1 race car" and I in early stages of my project. I am looking for the following two pieces of information:

1) An airfoil that has been used by a team in the past (was it NACA that they used or was it something else...)
2) chord length of the upper rear wing that has been used in the past (looking for the number, was it 20mm,30,40...)

I cant seem to find this, if someone could help me out that will be great

Thanks a lot guys, I have a lot to learn from you all

scarbs

Re: actual chord length used by any team for the upper rear

Yup got all that DM me...

trinidefender

scarbs wrote:Yup got all that DM me...
Wish scarbs would be willing to share any actual hard numbers on F1 cars that he may have access to. There are many talented people on this forum in many engineering and technical aspects, however very few of us have any actual inside information on the cars themselves. Creates the inevitable problem of us having to try and work things backwards from pictures or working out the likely outcomes from things with commercially available information....come on scarbs!!!

rjsa

Raz2015 wrote:Hello folks,
I am a final year mechanical engineering student, so I am quite new to all this F1 technical stuff. My final year project is titled "Optimization of rear wings of F1 race car" and I in early stages of my project. I am looking for the following two pieces of information:

1) An airfoil that has been used by a team in the past (was it NACA that they used or was it something else...)
2) chord length of the upper rear wing that has been used in the past (looking for the number, was it 20mm,30,40...)

I cant seem to find this, if someone could help me out that will be great

Thanks a lot guys, I have a lot to learn from you all
I'd suggest you trying to contact one of the traditional teams. Willams may be? Snail mail too.

I wrote to all of them as a kid and got a lot of stuff back by mail, from all the teams a wrote to. That was the 80s but I don't think they grew into the habit of ignoring people since then.

Raz2015

Hey Scarbs,
Since I am fairly new here the forums wont let me PM anyone, my email is razeensayed13@gmail.com
if you have a 1:1 scale solidworks model of any rear wing assembly that I could look at, i would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you

Raz2015

rjsa wrote:
Raz2015 wrote:Hello folks,
I'd suggest you trying to contact one of the traditional teams. Willams may be? Snail mail too.

I wrote to all of them as a kid and got a lot of stuff back by mail, from all the teams a wrote to. That was the 80s but I don't think they grew into the habit of ignoring people since then.

Hey,
I would gladly do that, but i need to find this info in the next 2 weeks. Doubt if the teams would reply in time :(

Raz2015

trinidefender wrote:
Wish scarbs would be willing to share any actual hard numbers on F1 cars that he may have access to. There are many talented people on this forum in many engineering and technical aspects, however very few of us have any actual inside information on the cars themselves. Creates the inevitable problem of us having to try and work things backwards from pictures or working out the likely outcomes from things with commercially available information....come on scarbs!!!
I know it is so hard to find this info. I am not even looking for some latest stuff that might be confidential. Just looking for the real dimensions (chord length, wingspan etc) of a rear wing that has been used in the past. Dont even care if it was like 10 years back.

JMS11

Does it have to be an F1 wing? I'd think you can do whatever analysis you're planning with any kind of wing profile. There's lots of other sources that would be much more likely to share wing dimensions with you than an F1 team.
- Local open wheel club racers,
- your school's Formula Student/FSAE team if you have one
- pick your own profiles & dimensions

For what you are doing, any of those will work just fine.

Raz2015

JMS11 wrote:Does it have to be an F1 wing? I'd think you can do whatever analysis you're planning with any kind of wing profile. There's lots of other sources that would be much more likely to share wing dimensions with you than an F1 team.
- Local open wheel club racers,
- your school's Formula Student/FSAE team if you have one
- pick your own profiles & dimensions

For what you are doing, any of those will work just fine.
It probably would work but as per my supervisors instruction, he says "check a real F1 wing that they use and look up the chord length, span etc"
I live in Manchester, UK dont know of any open wheel club racers here, my university's FSAE team is pretty bad and never have had the need to use a rear wing because they do not go upto those high speeds
If I dont find anything my last resort would be to go down to the nearest Mclaren dealership (2 hours away) with a measuring tAPE,and ask them if they would allow me to take down a few measurements of the rear wing :(

Raz2015

I am supposed to be calculating the reynolds number using the chord length (that I am supposed to find out) for an average cruising speed of a F1 car (about 50-60mps)

RicME85

Try Kev in Twitter, the guy with the Caterham CT05, he has CAD data and posted a front wing cross section the other week, reach out to him and he might do the rear

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I'd take a look at this link here on the regulatory constrictions on aero devices.

Given that the element box on the rear wing has a maximum permitted length of 350mm, Id be pretty safe to say that the longest chord wouldn't exceed that. May be a good place to start.

Alternatively, this paper may help you with your assignment as it gives a rough idea of proportions of front wings along with the authors performing a Reynolds Number sweep.

If all else fails, find a birds eye view image of an F1 car schematic/blueprint and use the apparent size of the tyre/wheel as a comparison to work out a semi-decent chord length (ignoring angle of attack influences ect ect...)
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

andylaurence

The 2012 Marussia wind tunnel wing I have in my hands has a chord of 176mm for both planes at the centre. At the end plates it's 172mm. The flap has a chord of 62mm whilst the main plane is circa 120mm (I can't measure without disassembling). Remember, of course, that all these measurements are to 50% scale.

scarbs

Here's one of my 2D rear wing profiles, from a Red Bull RB6

http://scarbsf1.com/?p=4302

ArgyrisB

scarbs wrote:Here's one of my 2D rear wing profiles, from a Red Bull RB6

http://scarbsf1.com/?p=4302

Quite strange flap design, I have seen something like this in PhD papers from Southampton that use old F1 front wings with flat shape at the end of the flap. Any ideas on what might do ?