2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Ozan

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

Bring refueling and delete the rule "100kg/hour fuel flow" then we have the perfect racing.

ojlopez

Without strong tires that can withstand a lot of punishment, drivers will still focus on tire management and not in racing, and will continue with not so good racing.

SiLo

Its always a trade off. More overtaking (but a bit fake) or more battles with less overtaking.
Felipe Baby!

FrukostScones

F1 Bingo aka the Cheesirelli Lottery part 2

so arrgh...

hopefully all chose the same specs so it is not completely random cliff or not to cliff.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

godlameroso

So Pirelli is going to nominate either the medium or the soft compound this year, and give teams choice to either use a harder or softer compound than the nominated one. No one is going to use the hard, it's too hard, and no one will use the ultra soft, because it's too soft. Unless they make changes to the compounds it won't have the intended consequence. The hard needs to be more durable than this year's tire. The medium can stay as is, the soft needs to be slightly more durable, as well as the super soft otherwise no one will use the ultra soft.

In a perfect world, the ultra soft should be able to do 5-7 laps around Barcelona with an ideal lap time of mid to high 1:19 and race laps with half a tank in the mid 1:22's
The super soft should be able to do 9-12 laps with an ideal time of low to mid 1:20 and race laps in the 1:24 range
The soft should be able to do 15-16 laps with an ideal time of low 1:22, and race laps in the 25's
The medium should be able to do 19-20 laps with an ideal time of mid 1:23's and race laps in the low 26's
The hard should be able to do 26-27 laps with an ideal time of high 1:24's and race laps in the high 25's to mid 27's
Saishū kōnā

BanMeToo

imo that makes the Hard tire too soft in relation to Medium - but totally agree otherwise & overall.

godlameroso

BanMeToo wrote:imo that makes the Hard tire too soft in relation to Medium - but totally agree otherwise & overall.
I think that it should be a hard tire to drive fast, but you can be really aggressive with it since it's so durable, that's why I proposed such a large gap in race pace.

*In fact, a very interesting thing that Pirelli has done with the tyres almost never receives proper mention, and that is the tire working range. It's why the medium tire has been so good in the races this year. It's a low working range compound, so although it doesn't have as much overall grip as the soft, it also remains consistent because it is an easy tire to maintain in it's optimum window. The hard is fast but is a high working range type tyre so it really needs to be thrashed to get it working, however in practice this tends to destroy the tire. Keeping it's grip and improving it's durability for a few more laps would make a very good compromise IMO.
Saishū kōnā

wuzak

Ozan wrote:Bring refueling and delete the rule "100kg/hour fuel flow" then we have the perfect racing.
You have identified the wrong rule to delete.

The 100kg fuel for the race is what should be deleted.

I also have no problem with refuelling, so long as tyre changes can't be made at the same time - they would have to happen at different stops.

Ozan

wuzak wrote:
Ozan wrote:Bring refueling and delete the rule "100kg/hour fuel flow" then we have the perfect racing.

I also have no problem with refuelling, so long as tyre changes can't be made at the same time - they would have to happen at different stops.
nope, 100kg/1 race is enough, every car should be given their own strategy to how to use the 100kg of fuel in 1 race.

TAG

I can see certain teams i. e. Force India (or whatever they'll be called next year) potentially utilize this very effectively.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

CBeck113

Ozan wrote:
wuzak wrote:

nope, 100kg/1 race is enough, every car should be given their own strategy to how to use the 100kg of fuel in 1 race.
Nope - kill them both and let them drive all out. Now that the engines are a few years old, this would be an interesting change, since the calculations for their longevity would be way off, and could shake up the field...maybe :?
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

iotar__

I read those rules twice and still don't understand it, can they run supersofts in Q3 and mediums and softs in the race :? ? I'll wait for the first races. It's interesting they did change something although I have a feeling both available compounds and choices will be rather similar for many tracks.

Still it's some new variable and at least when tyres won't last (rare and unlikely scenario) or will last forever teams won't be able to blame manufacturer but their own choices :-).
I can see certain teams i. e. Force India (or whatever they'll be called next year) potentially utilize this very effectively.
It may give some advantages for certain team against certain teams but not necessarily FI, it was more connected to pre '14 tyres, and benefits of starting outside of top ten more than Force India team. Perez was at Sauber at the time but Di Resta had some long stint races too AFAIR. Yes they did run couple of times longer in '15 (rather lucky in Russia) but it was more exception than a rule, Spa or Hulkenberg several times - examples of something opposite. I wouldn't expect huge impact with current tyres.

CLKGTR

If I got it right, teams choose 2 compounds from 3 nominated from Pirelli and that are the sets for the race (they only have to use one of those two)

But remaining 10 sets each driver can choose from 3 avalaible compunds?

SteveRacer

I am curious how long before the race the teams are choosing their second compound. Before the race weekend? before quali? before the race? This will impact what the teams chose based on race simulations and weather patterns. There are always a few races where some drivers choose to go long and this will add some excitement.

3jawchuck

SteveRacer wrote:I am curious how long before the race the teams are choosing their second compound. Before the race weekend? before quali? before the race? This will impact what the teams chose based on race simulations and weather patterns. There are always a few races where some drivers choose to go long and this will add some excitement.
IIRC it was 2 weeks before a race that the choices remain secret, so the deadline is probably 2 or more weeks.

I scribbled a quick ... thing to try and get to grips with it. It isn't so complicated, but still it is pretty arbitrary.
Last edited by 3jawchuck on 04 Dec 2015, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.