2016 3 tire compound rules

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
ME4ME

Re: 2016 3 tire compound rules

I didn't expect Mercedes to be that aggressive, and Ferrari that conservative. I thought it would be the other way around. From what we've seen so far, the mediums do seem so perform very well for the stint lenght they are able to do. I think Ferrari might hold a slight advantage here, being able to test the it in free practise.

Also if traffic behind allows it, it seems wise to dump the SS in the first stint quite early. They drop of so quickly that a lap too late is a lot of time lost. In my mind SS-M-M seems optimal, doing 5-26-26 laps respectivly on each set.

Phil

When did the teams have to allocate the tires? After or before Melbourne?

After the Australian GP, I felt Mercedes was quite fortunate that they had that set of unused medium tires. Then again, with the sheer unlimited number of testing miles Mercedes did using the medium tire, one would think that they will not be running that tire in practice at all - and they will not need more than one set for the race. On the other hand, Ferrari might opt to do a few practice runs on one set and leave two for the race.

What were the tires last year at Bahrain? S - SS? or S - M?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sevach

S-M last year.
According to what Pirelli said i think this choice was made before Melbourne.

Another factor to consider, with the old style Q coming back you probably don't need that many SS's.

Phil

(why is there no quick reply box in this topic?)

Thanks Sevach. Another question: Teams receive another tire that make it into Q3. Is this tire one of the allocated one or always simply the 'fastest compound' or the SS? I am just wondering how Pirelli knows how many extra tires they need to bring to a GP.

Also, these tires that the drivers/teams allocate: This is for the entire grand prix weekend right? So these 13 sets must last them for all practice, qualifying sessions and the race. What about wet weather tires? Do Pirelli just bring them along in case there is chance of rain and then there is a limit of X sets of intermediates and Y sets of full-wets for each car, again for the entire weekend?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

SiLo

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2015/04/19/r ... -strategy/

Last year most did S-S-M of some variation. But this year with the SS, they will either have to extend both S and M stints, or go SS-M-M. I think Mercedes will simply do SS-S-M and so will Ferrari
Felipe Baby!

F1NAC

Phil wrote:(why is there no quick reply box in this topic?)

Thanks Sevach. Another question: Teams receive another tire that make it into Q3. Is this tire one of the allocated one or always simply the 'fastest compound' or the SS? I am just wondering how Pirelli knows how many extra tires they need to bring to a GP.

Also, these tires that the drivers/teams allocate: This is for the entire grand prix weekend right? So these 13 sets must last them for all practice, qualifying sessions and the race. What about wet weather tires? Do Pirelli just bring them along in case there is chance of rain and then there is a limit of X sets of intermediates and Y sets of full-wets for each car, again for the entire weekend?
The extra Q3 tire is the softest from allocations

godlameroso

Teams chose the tires before they even revealed their cars, let alone tested them. Pirelli needs 14 weeks lead time to allocate the tire sets for flyaway races. It's going to be interesting to see what strategies teams settle on. It all depends on being able to work the soft or medium tire over a race stint.
Saishū kōnā

SectorOne

Phil wrote:When did the teams have to allocate the tires? After or before Melbourne?

After the Australian GP, I felt Mercedes was quite fortunate that they had that set of unused medium tires.
In retrospect, it´s clear Mercedes knew what they were doing all along.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach

Phil wrote:(why is there no quick reply box in this topic?)

Yep these tires must last through FP,Q and race.
To make matters worst you are forced to return 4 tires after friday and 2 more after saturday practice.

I believe you get 4 inters and 3 full wets for the weekend, no choice involved(at least that's what it was until last year).

Going back to Bahrain, most teams went S-S-M, both Mercedes and Vettel(Vettel broke his FW and had to make an unplanned stop) were in that strategy, Raikkonen however made a lot of progress running a long middle stint on M, this might have something to do with Ferrari taking more mediums than expected.

Sevach

SectorOne wrote:
Phil wrote:When did the teams have to allocate the tires? After or before Melbourne?

After the Australian GP, I felt Mercedes was quite fortunate that they had that set of unused medium tires.
How so? Their standard strategy was also a 2 stopper(Rosberg took softs on lap 12), Hamilton took mediums because traffic was killing him, mediums were never part of their plan A.

basti313

Sevach wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

How so? Their standard strategy was also a 2 stopper(Rosberg took softs on lap 12), Hamilton took mediums because traffic was killing him, mediums were never part of their plan A.
Sure. Medium was the plan B. I posted this a few pages ago already before the race. Two sets for Ros to test the Medium in FP1 to have the data for running it during the race. They do not need more as there is no need to run it on Saturday.

And this is the big problem now:
Mercedes had the biggest advantage last year when they could run the Medium as primary race tire. Looking at the times at Oz, I have the feeling, that the Merc is faster in Mediums than the Ferrari on Softs. Now they nearly always have the option to go for a long Medium run if they fall back at the start. The Ultrasoft will be allocated rarely, the old Supersoft/Soft races will now be Supersoft/Soft/Medium.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Phil

Sevach wrote:
SectorOne wrote:

I just thought of something:
Consider this; After the 3rd corner, they were facing a challenge: Rosberg held up by two Ferraris, Hamilton by a Torro Rosso. The prime reason why Rosberg pitted for softs when he did, was because the aim was to undercut Kimi. That might have worked with the mediums, but might have put him at a disadvantage relative Ferrari, at that point unknown what Ferraris real pace is. Pitting for softs meant they could get past Kimi, then in 2nd to close the gap on Vettel and perhaps later either undercut him too, or if Vettel pits first, to put him on the SS on the last stint to give the best chance to attempt an overtake on track.

Had both Mercedes remained ahead during the race and not held up by other cars, who knows, perhaps mediums might have been a consideration.

Though judging by their allocated tires, the team radio and how the race unfolded, i too am inclined to think that mediums weren't a real consideration. And this is interesting, because judging by their allicated tires for Bahrain, i think it wasnt for that race either. With the knowledge of Australia, i wonder if they in hindsight might have decided differently. I'd be weary going into a race on a tire you didnt test on that track on those conditions beforehand. I also wouldnt underestimate Ferrari; if 2015 showed one thing, it's that tire wear is a crucial factor in extracting your potential and deciding over winning or not.
#Team44 supporter

basti313

Phil wrote: Had both Mercedes remained ahead during the race and not held up by other cars, who knows, perhaps mediums might have been a consideration.
I do not think so. Plan A was SS/S/S and this would have also worked easily against Vettel, no matter if they do the undercut or a longer middle stint. It was really impressive how effective the undercut was, with Vettel being forced to do "too much" laps on the SS in his second stint that would have been a walk in the park.
Phil wrote: Though judging by their allocated tires, the team radio and how the race unfolded, i too am inclined to think that mediums weren't a real consideration.
So why did they choose two sets of Mediums for Rosberg? This clearly looks like they always considered the Mediums as an option for the race.
Phil wrote:And this is interesting, because judging by their allicated tires for Bahrain, i think it wasnt for that race either. With the knowledge of Australia, i wonder if they in hindsight might have decided differently.
Maybe. But they know the track and their tire wear...so maybe they are sure that they can do SS/S/S in Bahrain and need the Medium only in case of a too early Safety car.
Phil wrote:I'd be weary going into a race on a tire you didnt test on that track on those conditions beforehand.
In Australia no one tested any tire in race conditions. Most tires had not more than 4 laps on them and the track was slippery. So at least there it was no problem to use the Medium as they also had to rely on old data for the Softs. Bahrain has very stable conditions, do maybe they are sure they do not need FP data.
Don`t russel the hamster!

wuzak

FP1 and FP3 will be unrepresentative of race and qualifying conditions because of the time of day they are held. It is likely that the extra mediums that Ferrari have will be used in those sessions.

For qualifying and the race I suspect that both Ferrari and Mercedes will end up with 4 sets of SS (including 1 set for Q3), 2 sets of softs and 1 set of mediums. The plan is likely to be SS-S-S.

f1316

(NB: changing the subject to Monaco because of below article)

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-s- ... 82041/?s=1

"The soft and the supersoft are the mandatory tyres that must be used at some point during the race."

So:

i) if you use the ultra in Q2 you have to do a 2 stop race to ensure you use the mandatory tyres

ii) if you don't, you're definitely going to do a one stop - they've been doing so on s/ss for the last 5 years, after all

So much for the refuelling ban meaning non-deterministic strategies. This whole race will be completely nailed on after qualifying.