F1 "closed": for or against ?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Formula 1 closed :

for
42%
against
53%
no idea
5%

Total votes: 102

Tim.Wright

Re: F1 "closed": for or against ?

Andres125sx wrote: As a drone operator myself, I´d really love that.... but I´m afraid the cockpit has no relation to this. You first would need to get rid of that chopper, and then had to cope with rules, so different from country to country, but generally speaking, you cannot fly a drone over people, and that discard any racing track on a racing day
They have been using drones in Rallycross for a while now so I think any regulatory problems are resolvable.
Not the engineer at Force India

riff_raff

F1 is sadly succumbing to politically correct society. Eventually we will surely see enclosed cockpits. The halo concepts I have seen are pathetic. Even the current F1 cars do not allow much of the driver to been seen, so a fully enclosed cockpit would not make much difference for spectators.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

wesley123

Tim.Wright wrote:
Andres125sx wrote: As a drone operator myself, I´d really love that.... but I´m afraid the cockpit has no relation to this. You first would need to get rid of that chopper, and then had to cope with rules, so different from country to country, but generally speaking, you cannot fly a drone over people, and that discard any racing track on a racing day
They have been using drones in Rallycross for a while now so I think any regulatory problems are resolvable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQjTJQwI2s
The radius those drones operate in are much smaller than on an F1 track though. Plus, charging would be an issue
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Andres125sx

Tim.Wright wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWQjTJQwI2s
Yes in Spain we should have solved it now, but since we continue without a gobernment for almost a whole year... :x

Obviously in a near future it will be all drones, as they´re around a tenth of the cost of a full scale helicopter, and can even take much better shots because they can get a lot closer and at the same time take the same high shots.

But I wouldn´t use a multirrotor to broadcast F1, you need a lot more speed and endurance for that and a plane would be a much better choice, but multirotors are in fashion :roll:

Tim.Wright

wesley123 wrote:
The radius those drones operate in are much smaller than on an F1 track though. Plus, charging would be an issue
These aren't really problems. Ranges can be extended, batteries can be swapped.
Not the engineer at Force India

Cold Fussion

Andres125sx wrote:Obviously in a near future it will be all drones, as they´re around a tenth of the cost of a full scale helicopter, and can even take much better shots because they can get a lot closer and at the same time take the same high shots.
Surely it's less. You can buy 20kg payload drones designed for camera operators for around $20k usd.

Andres125sx

Cold Fussion wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:Obviously in a near future it will be all drones, as they´re around a tenth of the cost of a full scale helicopter, and can even take much better shots because they can get a lot closer and at the same time take the same high shots.
Surely it's less. You can buy 20kg payload drones designed for camera operators for around $20k usd.
I´m a drone operator so you can be sure I know what I´m talking about.

Drone bill is far from the only bill, then you need dozens of batteries, several cameras, much more lenses, digital video TX, remote contols for cameras, some good and calibrated monitor, probably more than one gimbal, chargers.... and then you realize you need more than one drone because only one does not fill all the posible scenarios #-o

At least here in Spain a chopper cost around 3000€/h, while a drone in one hour can probably do two flights wich will cost, depending on the operator and equipment used, 300-500€. I´m talking about serious drones obviously, you can always find someone with a phantom who will do that job for 100€ :roll:

riff_raff

Would be neat to have camera drones with a tracking system that allowed them to follow a car around the track. Would also require some sort of crash avoidance controls to keep the drones from hitting each other. But seems possible given current technology.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Andres125sx

Yes both technologies are available today, that´s perfectly doable

roon

Is the FIA structure passing the 225km/h wheel impact test dependent upon an inflated tire? An inflated tire will absorb some of the impact energy. Would a deflated tire & uncushioned mag wheel pass the same test?