Question about Aerodynamics Boundary Layer ! Help !

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream
firasf1dream

Re: Question about Aerodynamics Boundary Layer ! Help !

bhall II wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:...the 2009 season, we can see most of the car has very simple front wing design at the beginning of the season we do not see all the barriers on the endplates...
Current front wings are essentially diffusers, and Honda/Brawn was the first team to figure that out and really explore the possibilities of the concept. The advantage gained through that work, especially early in the season before other teams had a chance to follow suit, carried them to a World Championship.

http://s7.postimg.org/408fhlriz/41212_f ... _bolid.jpg

Even though it wasn't as sexy as double-diffusers at the time, and it certainly didn't get as much attention, development of the so-called outwash front wing was probably more important.
yes but i mean for example the strake on the top of the endplate (force india picture) does that act like a wing endplate but horizontal ?

bhall II
bhall II

firasf1dream wrote:yes but i mean for example the strake on the top of the endplate (force india picture) does that act like a wing endplate but horizontal ?
I think the idea there was make sure that high-pressure flow fed to the edge vortex was supplied from the side of the wing instead of possibly over the top. Or it could have been a way to manage the effects of the rotating wheel behind the wing. (My bio-CFD isn't always powerful enough to discern specifics. Actually, it may not ever be powerful enough for anything, and I'm just delusional. But, that's a different conversation.. Hey, look, a flower

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

bhall II wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:yes but i mean for example the strake on the top of the endplate (force india picture) does that act like a wing endplate but horizontal ?
I think the idea there was make sure that high-pressure flow fed to the edge vortex was supplied from the side of the wing instead of possibly over the top. Or it could have been a way to manage the effects of the rotating wheel behind the wing. (My bio-CFD isn't always powerful enough to discern specifics. Actually, it may not ever be powerful enough for anything, and I'm just delusional. But, that's a different conversation.. Hey, look, a flower
lol ! a flower ?! :D
i think yes the top strake is for the flow not to be spilled from inside the wing and related to the flow coming back from the wheel rotation

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

firasf1dream wrote: i think yes the top strake is for the flow not to be spilled from inside the wing and related to the flow coming back from the wheel rotation
The flat plate which is shaped like a sector of an elipse which is acting like a "cover" to the curved endplate is there to help manage the flow into the rotating wheels behind. It would also (I would hazard a guess) help to keep the majority of the air flow below a certain height, which would then allow for more air to be drawn into the vortices flowing around the car, rather than up and over towards the rear wing or into the tyres --- which already shed 6 vortices while rotating!!
bhall II wrote: My bio-CFD isn't always powerful enough to discern specifics. Actually, it may not ever be powerful enough for anything, and I'm just delusional. But, that's a different conversation.. Hey, look, a flower
:mrgreen:
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

bhall II
bhall II

ringo wrote:Image
This suggests the element in question prevented the end plate from generating any sort of upwash, which is sensible.

Whatever the case may be, the general idea behind current end plate design is to make edge vortices as strong and consistent as possible in a manner that interacts favorably with wheel wake.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

yes right but i do not see that strake in the picture :/

bhall II
bhall II

While we don't see the element, we see air flow passing over the end plate in a way the element would prevent if it was there. Since we know it's beneficial for the end plate to generate an outwash rather than an upwash, we can probably safely assume that's the idea behind the element.

firasf1dream
firasf1dream

yes exactly, so it's not represented in the image but the flow attitude going up the endplate make us assume that, that's right i went back to my reference book and that's what the book said :)
thank you for your help bhall :)