Honda 2008(?) Rear Left Upright

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Quebec

Honda 2008(?) Rear Left Upright

Here is a 2006-2008 era Honda upright I bought a few weeks ago, unfortunately I don't have much information on it.
I think it's a beautiful part so I wanted to share. At the same time I might learn something.

It's a pretty part milled, glass beaded, milled again, and dirty with brake dust and race crud.
On the backside we can see the mounting points and quarter turn fastener holes.
Laser markings and qr code.
Every hole is reinforced with a bushing, every thread has a keylock insert.
Not certain why two sensors are needed. The tiny hole goes all the way through, no idea what it does.
Milling on the bottom around the caliper mounting points.
Every last bushing is numberd.

If anyone has an info, I'd love to hear it.
Last edited by Quebec on 23 Mar 2016, 05:42, edited 2 times in total.

Tim.Wright

Re: Honda 2008(?) Rear Left Upright

Quebec wrote:Not certain why two sensors are needed. The tiny hole goes all the way through, no idea what it does.
They'd be wheelspeed sensors. I'm guessing there's two of them for rule compliance reasons. One is probably FIA only and is unfiltered.
Not the engineer at Force India

strad

no pictures
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Quebec

strad wrote:no pictures
Changed image host, not sure which one works best.
Tim.Wright wrote:They'd be wheelspeed sensors. I'm guessing there's two of them for rule compliance reasons. One is probably FIA only and is unfiltered.
Makes way more sense than my theory about redundancy.

DiogoBrand

I can't quite picture how exactly those stood on the car, mainly what are wishbones and what are push/pullrod attachment points. Could somebody ilustrate?

strad

much better
thank you
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Quebec

DiogoBrand wrote:I can't quite picture how exactly those stood on the car, mainly what are wishbones and what are push/pullrod attachment points. Could somebody ilustrate?
Here, hope this helps a bit.

This is also a image of the actual rear suspension.

DiogoBrand

So is this how it stays wheen looking from the inside of the car?

Quebec

DiogoBrand wrote: So is this how it stays wheen looking from the inside of the car?
Yup, also note that the upright is missing brackets for the top a-arm and toe arm that attach to the arms and are shimmed to adjust for camber and toe.

Sloy

Hello Quebec,

Very nice pictures, I have a couple of pretty specific questions, I hope that is ok for you =)

- How heavy is the upright (perhaps u have a kitchen scale ?)
- What are the dimensions of the bore for the bearings
- What are the hole dimensions in the bushings for the wishbones/pushrod
- Distance between the bearings

Thanks a lot

Sloy

riff_raff

Is the upright titanium or aluminum? From the pictures it looks to be titanium. It looks like it was produced using a combination of wire EDM and CNC milling. It definitely was shot-peened to improve fatigue. The Keenserts are used to provide a thread locking function.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Quebec

Sloy wrote:Hello Quebec,
- How heavy is the upright (perhaps u have a kitchen scale ?)
- What are the dimensions of the bore for the bearings
- What are the hole dimensions in the bushings for the wishbones/pushrod
- Distance between the bearings
Sloy
I'll bring the part to work, we have a bunch of calipers and micrometers there.
If I ever get some free time I'll 3D scan it if you guys are interested.
riff_raff wrote:Is the upright titanium or aluminum? From the pictures it looks to be titanium. It looks like it was produced using a combination of wire EDM and CNC milling. It definitely was shot-peened to improve fatigue. The Keenserts are used to provide a thread locking function.
I believe it is aluminium because of a rule that bans exotic materials like titanium or MMCs on certain parts, although I'm not sure what year that came into effect. I would guess some type of high grade lithium aluminium like 2099-T8.
I'd probably need to check the density to confirm .

Per
Per

Very cool stuff. Did you get documentation or a certificate with that part? Specifically, do you know when and where it raced? I'm wondering what the lifetime of such components is in F1 because they will not be designed for very long fatigue lives.

Titanium is on the list of permitted materials by the way, so I would consider titanium as a very good candidate for this part. Maybe you can weigh the part and measure its volume by using a full bowl of water and measuring the weight difference after putting the upright into the bowl. This way we will know the density of the material. :)

J.A.W.

Nice relic..
& I concur with r-r - on the probability of the component being Ti - at a glance, judging by organic structure/colour..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Sloy

Hey Quebec,

3D scanning would absolutely awesome!

Regarding the material: From the coloration I would say it is titanium. Perhaps we can compare it to a known piece of aluminium?

Has someone an idea why there are 3 grooves on the flange where the bearings with their outer race mate to?

The surface could also be a result of a casting process:

http://www.deskeng.com/de/epsilon-euska ... ht-design/

Regards