Honda 2008(?) Rear Left Upright

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Tim.Wright

Re: Honda 2008(?) Rear Left Upright

Sloy wrote:Has someone an idea why there are 3 grooves on the flange where the bearings with their outer race mate to?
I'd say it's so you can access the inner surface of the bearing outer race in order to extract the bearings.
Not the engineer at Force India

Quebec

Per wrote:Very cool stuff. Did you get documentation or a certificate with that part? Specifically, do you know when and where it raced? I'm wondering what the lifetime of such components is in F1 because they will not be designed for very long fatigue lives.

Titanium is on the list of permitted materials by the way, so I would consider titanium as a very good candidate for this part. Maybe you can weigh the part and measure its volume by using a full bowl of water and measuring the weight difference after putting the upright into the bowl. This way we will know the density of the material. :)
Unfortunately I got the part without any documentation, no race or pilot information, could have been used for testing runs only. The seller has a bunch of other parts from the 2008 dumbo wing Honda which he might have more information about.
Sloy wrote:Hey Quebec,
3D scanning would absolutely awesome!
Regarding the material: From the coloration I would say it is titanium. Perhaps we can compare it to a known piece of aluminium?
Has someone an idea why there are 3 grooves on the flange where the bearings with their outer race mate to?
The surface could also be a result of a casting process:
http://www.deskeng.com/de/epsilon-euska ... ht-design/
Regards
Material wise, we machine a bunch of Ti6Al4V at work and it's a darker silver than the upright, I'll snap a picture side by side. The tool marks are still visible under the glass beading although it's almost impossible to see on the pictures so probably a billet part instead of a casting.

The three grooves are for bearing extraction like Tim said.

Sloy

Hey Quebec,

did u already find time to measure the upright?

Has someone a picture of such a tool? I can imagine how it would look like, but perhaps someone has an interesting picture.

Regards

Quebec

Has someone a picture of such a tool? I can imagine how it would look like, but perhaps someone has an interesting picture.
Regards
Hey, its pretty hectic at work with race season getting in gear so no CMM stuff but I did get some rough measures.
  • Weight: 1843g (4.06lbs)
  • Front Bearing: 120x12mm
  • Rear Bearing:107x12mm
  • Distance between bearing flanges:61mm
  • Pushrod uses an m8 bolt
  • Lower arm uses 9.5mm bolt (wtf)
  • Caliper mounting bolts are 202mm CtC
  • Distance from center to upper arm mount: 138mm
  • Distance from center to Lower arm mount: 112mm
  • Distance from center to Toe arm mount: 135mm
  • Distance from Upper to Lower arm mount: 185mm
  • Distance from Toe arm to Lower arm mount: 250mm
  • Distance from Toe arm to Upper arm mount: 225mm
It should give you a good idea of the dimensions, I still want to 3d Scan it but I have to wait for the next batch of stuff to scan at work and that might take a month or two, I have to design a whole Viper suspension system for like friday.

Facts Only

Perhaps the lower arm is a 3\8 unf bolt (9.525mm)
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Quebec

Facts Only wrote:Perhaps the lower arm is a 3\8 unf bolt (9.525mm)
Good thought but I doubt it, the whole thing is metric plus these aren't threaded bolts, you have to insert a second pin on the bottom that holds the bolt captive. Not a clue if they are sourced from aeronautic equipment or custom.

Sloy

Quebec wrote:
Regards
Hey, its pretty hectic at work with race season getting in gear so no CMM stuff but I did get some rough measures.
  • Weight: 1843g (4.06lbs)
  • Front Bearing: 120x12mm
  • Rear Bearing:107x12mm
  • Distance between bearing flanges:61mm
  • Pushrod uses an m8 bolt
  • Lower arm uses 9.5mm bolt (wtf)
  • Caliper mounting bolts are 202mm CtC
  • Distance from center to upper arm mount: 138mm
  • Distance from center to Lower arm mount: 112mm
  • Distance from center to Toe arm mount: 135mm
  • Distance from Upper to Lower arm mount: 185mm
  • Distance from Toe arm to Lower arm mount: 250mm
  • Distance from Toe arm to Upper arm mount: 225mm
It should give you a good idea of the dimensions, I still want to 3d Scan it but I have to wait for the next batch of stuff to scan at work and that might take a month or two, I have to design a whole Viper suspension system for like friday.
Thank you so much for the measurements! Really interesting. Can't wait to see the 3D scan, but no hurry :)

Can u explain or show in a little bit in more detail how this captive bolt attachment works? Sounds really interesting! Why would they even come up with such a difficult solution?

What is also interesting, in my opinion, is how they measure the wheel speed inside the upright. Usually you need some kind of rotating wheel with steel teeth (or magnets) for your sensor. But how would they do it inside the upright?

riff_raff

The three equally spaced "V" notches in the shoulder face of the two bearing bores are clearance for the legs of a bearing puller tool to extract the hub outer bearing races without damaging them. It is necessary to remove the bearing races to perform an NDI procedure of the upright structure.

The photos look like the upright is made from wrought titanium and shot peened. The third photo in the OP shows some modest surface corrosion likely from carbon brake residue. All the small threaded holes have self-locking Keenserts installed.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

Sloy

Hey Quebec,

are there any news about the laser scanning? :)

Regards

Quebec

are there any news about the laser scanning? :)

Regards
Well the 3D printer is working again and things have slowed down at least a bit for me (still have a metric ton of stuff to do but that's the norm) so the 3D scans should be coming up, I have a subaru rear subframe to scan pretty soon so I will do the scan at the same time.

On another note an article was posted that explains the bolts used on the upright (not the exact ones but same operation). Read up on it, Craig Scarborough always posts cool stuff.