Racing Simulation Tuning Guide

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Racing Simulation Tuning Guide

Hi guys,

If any of you are like me, you love racing games... however, sometimes when you jump in a brand new virtual car, it seems to be all over the place. Now of course, we both know that it is NEVER the drivers fault :wink: :lol: :D *cough* and so you need to sit there and "fix" this crazy car!! There are a lot of settings which you can play with, and often they complicate things more if you don't know what you're doing!!

So here is where this thread comes into it: I have written out a tuning guide based on rFactor and other games with a large selection of tuning options which says what increasing/decreasing each setting will do for the car. Only from a very basic vehicle and aerodynamic viewpoint, but it will do the job for the average gamer... please don't use this as a means to tune your real car - hire an expert.

If you are really smart, you can actually tune 90% of your car based upon tyre temperatures (you need one inner, one middle and one outer on each wheel to do this - something rFactor offers!!), but realistically, if all you want to do is beat the AI with a bit of a challenge, then you should only really need to touch tyre pressure, anti-roll bars, aero downforce, and a couple of the major suspension options. Beyond that, you get into the fine tuning aspects when you're going for a lap record.

So without further ado, here it is!! Enjoy :mrgreen:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/305870890/Ra ... ning-Guide
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Jersey Tom

Re: Racing Simulation Tuning Guide

Is SAE aware you're sharing their technical papers, for free, on your Scribd thing?

Might want to take those down.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

ChrisDanger

Re: Racing Simulation Tuning Guide

Nice explanations. I found the guide linked below of good practical use when I was sim racing. Although originally written for GTR2 the principles should be able to be applied to any racing simulator. It runs through what to adjust (and how) in sequence for optimal results.