Question about Traction

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
tpe
tpe

Question about Traction

Since everybody talks about the bad traction of the SF16 and it's predecessors, can someone explain in simple words how traction is generated? In road cars, I suppose that the main contributor is the suspension geometry.
If it's "just" that, then why on earth Ferrari cannot find the correct geometry?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Re: Question about Traction

It's a balancing act between traction and tyre life. Teams can generate lots of traction with some extreme wheel camber and toe in/out, but the tyres will wear out really fast on the straights. So the game is to create a geometry, which sets the traction alignment in the corners and the tyre saving alignment on straights.

mrluke
mrluke

Traction comes from the tyre.

The tyre offers traction by chemical bonding and also friction.

While both are driven by contact area, the chemical is (probably) a function of tyre surface temperature with friction being a function of load.

As you increase load you will overheat the tyre.

Obviously the name of the game is to have the tyres constantly at the "right" temperature with as much load as possible on the "right" corners of the car. This is further complicated by the dynamics of the suspension geometry, the changing conditions of the tyres the wearing surface gets thinner through useage, how warm the brakes are at that moment of the track etc etc etc.

TL;DR

Lots of variables many of which are contradictory to one another and a very narrow Goldilocks zone for the tyre.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

I made a post on this topic a while ago: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =6&t=23596
Vyssion wrote:Essentially, all the different tyres try and do is recover contact with the asphalt. With wet weather tyres, the tread is there to divert the water which is displaced by the mass of the car on the contact areas into the channelling on the tyre surface. Pirelli's full wets I read somewhere could displace around 60L/sec of water at 300 km/h through this method. At those speeds, I'm sure you can imagine, the amount of time that the tyre is contacting a specific point on the asphalt is pretty much negligible.

The idea is cool and I'm sure there are some hydro-thermodynamic effects that are present, but for it to work, you would need to develop a way to heat the water, evaporate it, remove the vapour from the area and then wait for your wheel to drop the 1-2mm down to contact the asphalt all in a very small time period. Water is also a very good heat absorber (I remember something like 4200kJ/L of energy or something or other from Thermodynamics)

In vehicle dynamics terms, for you to have a forward traction, your tyres contact patch needs to be in shear along the longitudinal direction, before "slipping" back to normal (See Picture below), which occurs when the inner part of the wheel rotates much faster than the outer part. This slippage is like the sort of "springing action" that allows you to actually move. To see what I mean, take a look at this slow motion video of a dragster taking off. You can clearly see the slip at around 7-8 seconds in and the differing inner and outer rotation speeds.

http://i.imgur.com/TgUbBCN.png

If there is water between the road and tyre, this shear slip will occur much sooner since the water will lower the effective friction coefficient of the two materials. Hence why it is much easier to get your wheels spinning in the wet vs. dry.

But yeah definitely an A+ for thinking outside the box mate!!
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"