2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Gridlock

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

It does sound like someone's struggling to hit the old number, doesn't it. But yeah let's pretend we forgot about the tyres when setting the regs :roll:

Dazed1

Gridlock wrote:It does sound like someone's struggling to hit the old number, doesn't it. But yeah let's pretend we forgot about the tyres when setting the regs :roll:
When I look at those wide tires mounted on rims my back hurts a little, but then I am an old man. How much do the rears weigh each?

Big Mangalhit

According to that article they weight 3kg. Hardly any effort to lift i guess

roon

Big Mangalhit wrote:According to that article they weight 3kg. Hardly any effort to lift i guess
Yeah, but there's like 40 pounds of air in them, too.

Peter1919

Big Mangalhit wrote:According to that article they weight 3kg. Hardly any effort to lift i guess
That 's 3kg extra for the rears over last year or 1.5kg on top of the weight of last year tyre

godlameroso

The entire wheel tyre assembly of the rear tires probably weighs 24kg each. The wheels themselves are light, the tires are not, and probably make up the bulk of the weight.

https://i.imgur.com/dI8QWLH.gifv
Saishū kōnā

Big Mangalhit

Peter1919 wrote:
That 's 3kg extra for the rears over last year or 1.5kg on top of the weight of last year tyre
Damn I'm an idiot. If 24kg are the right weight then the back wheel tyre guys need to bulk up this winter. Maybe it also helps to have a counter weight on the back when changing the tyres.

FrukostScones

apparently VET crashed testing 2017 WET tyres :mrgreen:

http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... okieAccept

crashed against guard rail, and had to be retrieved by a tractor to the box.

https://twitter.com/Gianludale27/status ... wsrc%5Etfw
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

Yeah. That set was probably last year's compound lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌
🟤🟤 Coco puffs are my favourite too! 🟤🟤

PhillipM

I'd be amazed if the rear wheels and tyres weighed 24kg. I'd expect half of that, even with this years heavier tyres.

godlameroso

You're completely right, I wish I could blame it on dyslexia, but yes I got kg confused with lbs.
Saishū kōnā

strad

unless something drastic has changed most of the weight is the rims,, the tire could be wadded up in your hands.. didn't weigh squat.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

namao

Hembery (14 February 2017): "Will be less degradation, less wear. Also, will be less alternatives in strategies. The difference between compounds is going to be less than a second"

dmjunqueira

namao wrote:Hembery (14 February 2017): "Will be less degradation, less wear. Also, will be less alternatives in strategies. The difference between compounds is going to be less than a second"
I'm really trying to be optimistic about this new set of rules and the "spectacle" they might provide...But every time they talk about it, it seem's they are getting rid of all characteristics from the previous rules that led to some good races.

Tim.Wright

You can't have it all. These characteristics came at the expense of having the drivers being able to push the cars and that in turn had a lot of knock on effects which rendered the whole show pretty boring.

Perhaps there will be less variation due to strategy but at least you will be able to watch epic stints with drivers being able to push the car's to their limits.

The only thing that kept me watching during the dominant Schumacher years was watching him push. Especially on tracks like Monaco and Canada where the walls allowed a graphic demonstration on how close to the limit he was through the fast corners. There was some enjoyment to be had watching him stretch out a 30s lead before the first pitstops.

It led to some mistakes too. At the moment the drivers are so far below the limit it's practically impossible for them to make mistakes. For this reason you very rarely see a driver spin out during a race these days.
Not the engineer at Force India