Front Wing Adjustment Method

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jaycar

Front Wing Adjustment Method

So I've been doing some looking, and have not been able to find how pit crews in open wheel racing are able to adjust the front wing so quickly. I understand there is usually a spot for a T-handle to slip in, at which point the mechanic adds or removes "clicks" changing the angle of some of the elements of the front wing. Does anyone have any information on the mechanism used to do this? A small gear system that can withstand the high loads on the elements while being small enough to be packaged in the front wing seems like quite the challenge, or am I missing something?

bhall II

Re: Front Wing Adjustment Method

domh245

In terms of the actual mechanism, I think it is just a threaded section, and by rotating it, they can use it to move parts by the pitch of the thread for each turn. I say that based on this photo, but I may be completely wrong!

bigpat

Indy Cars were using tiny T shaped handles on the noses since the late 80's/early 90's, on the ovals, and later, road courses.

I believe that Williams were the first F1 team to incorporate this when Montoya drove for them. It was a simple T bar system from memory. Quite feasible his Champ Car feedback prompted the provision to be fitted.

Happy to stand corrected...

Pat

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Most of the time there is a T-handle allen key type device which is used to rotate a threaded rod up and down which in turn pulls or pushes the wing to a higher or lower angle of attack - this can also be notched to give feedback as to how much they are actually turning the key. Usually there is some relation between how many turns equals "points" of downforce; e.g. 3/4 turn right gives 1.5 more points of downforce. These "points" will be carefully worked out through their testing and will often be used if the drivers complain of the car under/oversteering at some point over a lap. The actual increase in "downforce" per point varies from team to team.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

OO7
OO7

A few months ago I was watching some old IndyCar/CART races (1993 - 1994 season) and noticed on occasions during pitstops, a 'mechanic' would 'slide' in a rear gurney or slide one out. That was the first time I recall seeing such a thing . I've never seen a rear gurney changed during a pitstop in F1, but Scarbs says it has been done before (Massa, Suzuka, 2011).

Roni

As far replacing broken front wings are considered, I believe most teams use quater-turn fasteners which is excellent in positive locking and is easily removable.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.
-Jeremy Clarkson