(Austrian GP) new curbs & suspension failures

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Formula Wrong

(Austrian GP) new curbs & suspension failures

So, we've had 5 curb- and/or suspension-related incidents this weekend:

-FP1: two times a Red Bull gets damaged after driving over the newly added curbs at the Red Bull Ring - both times parts of the front wing break off, one time a front suspension breaks
-FP3: Rosberg's left rear suspension breaks as he accelerates out of turn 2; crashes into the barriers
-Early Q1: Perez's right wear suspension breaks
-Late Q1: Kvyat's right wear suspension breaks after driving over the yellow curbs; crashes heavily into the barriers

I'm wondering, is it possible that they'll remove the yellow curbs or even cancel the race if these things keep happening? I'm especially concerned about the accidents involving the rear suspension as those are a serious safety risks; as Rosberg and Kvyat had to experience.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

Dazed1

Re: (Austrian GP) new curbs & suspension failures

I was half expecting them to postpone Q3 to dig up those hideous yellow things. We shall see if they last the night.

ChrisDanger

Davidson explains new-for-2016 red kerbs are also aggressive and played a role in Kvyat's failure.

https://streamable.com/bh7e

SiLo

I understand why they wanted them there, but if someone makes a mistake we shouldn't see a suspension failure which leads to an uncontrollable crash.
Felipe Baby!

Unc1eM0nty

Davidson makes a very good point on the Kvyat footage, at that point he's well over the white line and technically off track, when a driver does that you have to expect consequences, if a gravel trap then you loose lots of time, if a barrier you loose a wheel.

giantfan10

Its pretty simple really.. respect the track limits and you have nothing to worry about. I see no issue here
All self inflicted if you ask me. Of course the drivers that hit the kerbs will blame the kerb for reaching out and grabbing their car lol.

langwadt

SiLo wrote:I understand why they wanted them there, but if someone makes a mistake we shouldn't see a suspension failure which leads to an uncontrollable crash.
could do like in Monaco and put a barrier at the edge of the track, then it'll just be a crash

I suspect Kvyat had already damaged the right side in a previous corner

Ozan

drivers should respect the track limits no matter what.

wesley123

I'm fairly certain kerbs and the surrounding run-off area are there to safely guard the track edge, not break cars.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SiLo

personally I' put grass there after the curb. Punishes them plenty, maybe a spin or some oversteer and dirty tires but won't be smashing their suspension to pieces.
Felipe Baby!

hardingfv32

Formula cars are not the only vehicles using this track. Sedans can really tear up the back side of a low curb system. Grass is not going to cut it.

If you think it is an advantage to run high on the curbs then build the proper suspension and tires for the job.

The drivers are just whining because they hate to have to think too much while on the track. Curb riding at this track is such a difficult choice.

Brian

OO7
OO7

Nico was respecting the track limits when his left rear suspension failed though.

zac510

Of course when failures happen like those we saw on Friday and Saturday, it's easy to want to knee-jerk and find someone to blame, or rip out the kerbs. However in the opinion of my feeble brain, if the FIA continue use kerbs, but also be very open and give the teams notice about which tracks will have bigger kerbs, both for this year and the following season, then the teams can start preparing two types of wishbones for tracks with and without kerbs.

Basically, I have faith in the teams to adapt to the new environment, provided that the FIA is clear about which tracks will have kerbs, we just have to have a bit of patience. After that we'll all soon forget there ever was an issue and big honking kerbs will just be part of the F1 calendar (at some tracks).

strad

Speaking of all four off. Japan showed the solution.
The problem it seems, is determining when they have put all four off.
In Japan the green paint off track coated the tires and you could easily see when tires had been off.
A strip of such telltale paint would solve the problem.
Ya gots green on all four you get a penalty.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss