How to simulate this car chassis ? please help

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
PlatinumZealot

Re: How to simulate this car chassis ? please help

No. He didn't say your question is silly... He said that his question might be seen as a silly one.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

firasf1dream

PlatinumZealot wrote:No. He didn't say your question is silly... He said that his question might be seen as a silly one.
ah ok but it is not :D
so is my setup right ? :/

PlatinumZealot

It should look like this when done..

Notice that the stress is asymmetrical.

http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/en/ser ... ulation-en

I still feel you are missing a torsional loading across the bulkhead. Torsional rigidity always a big goal in chassis design. It also adds to the principal stresses.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

firasf1dream

PlatinumZealot wrote:It should look like this when done..

Notice that the stress is asymmetrical.

http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/en/ser ... ulation-en
http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/slides ... ation2.jpg

I still feel you are missing a torsional loading across the bulkhead. Torsional rigidity always a big goal in chassis design. It also adds to the principal stresses.
this is the case where you have a driver inside i think in the picture
but what i want to know is where to places the fixtures and how to place the forces ?!

about the torsional yes i read about it but not easy to do it in my case, and what i did is that i applied a torsional moment on the points of the attachments of the wishbones and fixed the back of the cockpit

mrluke

firasf1dream wrote:
mrluke wrote:Silly question.

Under a steering condition, is it correct to put the reaction forces at the points where the wishbones enter the chassis? I would have thought the forces would travel through the spring / damper mounts with the wishbones acting as pivot points. This would clearly be different for braking.

why is it a silly question if i never ever made a study for a single seater car or any car and i am trying to learn !!?!
Sorry, I was highlighting my post as a potentially silly question.

krisfx

firasf1dream wrote:
krisfx wrote:I tried (stupidly) simulating a composite component using the carbon fibre material in Solidworks while at university, it didn't seem at all accurate
why ? i got realistic values which has a very similar behavior in reality
How can you quantify realistic values? If you had a chassis, then you could feasibly say your values were realistic/behaviourally accurate. I had no way of quantifying other than against hand calculations, which is where the first problem lies. Solidworks' simulation tools are good, but they aren't 100% accurate from my experience.

Edit: AFAIK my Solidworks treat every material as isotropic, which has a big impact on results, though this was a couple of years ago now, so things may be different.

firasf1dream

krisfx wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:
krisfx wrote:I tried (stupidly) simulating a composite component using the carbon fibre material in Solidworks while at university, it didn't seem at all accurate
why ? i got realistic values which has a very similar behavior in reality
How can you quantify realistic values? If you had a chassis, then you could feasibly say your values were realistic/behaviourally accurate. I had no way of quantifying other than against hand calculations, which is where the first problem lies. Solidworks' simulation tools are good, but they aren't 100% accurate from my experience.

Edit: AFAIK my Solidworks treat every material as isotropic, which has a big impact on results, though this was a couple of years ago now, so things may be different.
well i don't know about the years before but now you can do orthotropic or others