Wind Tunnel Superceded with Total Switch to CFD

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Just_a_fan

Re: Wind Tunnel Superceded with Total Switch to CFD

Number of cells is Reynolds number dependant because you need to capture all of the relevant length scales, or rather, you need to capture the smallest length scale (Kolmogorov's length scale) in order to get all of the energy dissipation.

The forum's text editor doesn't really help with complex formulae so:

Here:
http://www.eng.utah.edu/~mcmurtry/Turbulence/turblt.pdf

And again here (Page 2 and 3):
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/66182/1/A_primer_on_DNS.pdf
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SameSame

Just_a_fan wrote:Number of cells is Reynolds number dependant because you need to capture all of the relevant length scales, or rather, you need to capture the smallest length scale (Kolmogorov's length scale) in order to get all of the energy dissipation.

The forum's text editor doesn't really help with complex formulae so:

Here:
http://www.eng.utah.edu/~mcmurtry/Turbulence/turblt.pdf

And again here (Page 2 and 3):
http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/66182/1/A_primer_on_DNS.pdf
Thank you so much that is an extremely interesting read :D Completely see why with regards to the length and time scales involved.

ESPImperium

I think the time has came to increase the TFlops limit in F1, the new Nvidia Pascal GTX1080 has over 9 Teraflops in a single unit, and a Nvidia Tesla unit will do it better with multiples linked together, one of those will set you back just under £7,000 on current Amazon pricing. At Present the F1 limit is 30 Teraflops, id like to see this lifted to 50 teraflops in 2018 then 1028 Teraflops after 5 or so years after that. F1 needs to push the boundaries with CFD, a wind tunnel in F1 costs about £8m a year to run for Williams at present.

Personally, i think there should be some formula where F1 teams can trade Track Testing for Wind Tunnel days and for peak CFD power. Allow the teams to trade a days testing for 3 days (8 hours maximum) in the tunnel or a week at the top CFD the team has in TFlops. You can also three days of tunnel time for 4 days of CFD power. A new Resource Restriction Agreement needs to look at the balance between CFD/Tunnel Time and Track Testing.

Ideally, id like to see teams limited to this from 2018:

21 days Track Testing (8 Pre Season, 8 In-Season & 5 Post Season with the Post Season being split for 3 days for Young Drivers and 2 for Tyre Testing)
90 Days Tunnel Time (Teams would be limited to a maximum of 8 hours tunnel time per day)
300 days a year at 50 Teraflops limit (Teams would be allowed 40 days a year free at full power of their system, however 24 days a year/25 a leap year, the CFD systems of the teams must close. Closure would be 10 days at Christmas/New Year and 14 days in August)

Id like to see Tunnel time be reduced to just 30 days for 2022 and then for 2025 be reduced to the banning of a wind tunnel. By then, the simulator technology will be up to a standard for testing to be reduced to 10 days of running in total. That will mean one thing, more room in the calendar for 22 races a year. Thats only good for one person tho.

rscsr

ESPImperium wrote:...Personally, i think there should be some formula where F1 teams can trade Track Testing for Wind Tunnel days and for peak CFD power. Allow the teams to trade a days testing for 3 days (8 hours maximum) in the tunnel or a week at the top CFD the team has in TFlops. You can also three days of tunnel time for 4 days of CFD power. A new Resource Restriction Agreement needs to look at the balance between CFD/Tunnel Time and Track Testing...
I thought that this is the current ruling.
Sporting Regulations Appendix 8 wrote: 3.6 The Limit Line is defined as follows :
WT <= WT_limit (1 – CFD/CFD_limit)
Where :
WT = Wind On Time
WT_limit = 25 hours
CFD = CFD Teraflops Usage
CFD_limit = 25 Teraflops
or WT/WT_limit+CFD/CFD_limit<=1
So they basically can trade 1h windtunnel (wind on) time for 1 TFlop processing power.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

SameSame wrote:
Vyssion wrote:There is no doubt that eventually CFD will overtake wind tunnel testing as the best method for aerodynamic verification. Hybrid-LES turbulence models are being used at the moment in some of the top level simulation runs with several PhDs I know of looking at full LES simulations of old McLaren F1 cars and the like. DNS I feel will still be a long way away...
Vyssion wrote:The number of Cells you need must be larger than the Reynolds Number raised to the power of 9/4. So for example, if you took a 1m chord wing and flew it through normal air at about 16m/s, your Reynolds number would be about 1.06 Million. So in order to perform a DNS simulation and capture all possible flow eddies, you would need 3.6x10^13 cells (36,000,000,000,000 cells)!!!! Given that the largest simulation that I know of was solved over a million cores with a total cell count of 1.4 trillion (1.4x10^12 cells) we are still a long way off having enough computational power to know exactly what is happening...
Why are the number cells Reynold number dependent? Is there a proof for that or was it determined by empirical observation? So theoretically you could solve the flow exactly around your 1m chord wing at 16m/s provided the air had a high kinematic viscosity? (e.g. Air at extremely high temperatures for 1 atm)
Its a bit algebra and physics heavy, but I'll do my best to explain it :mrgreen:

DNS directly solves the Navier-Stokes equations capturing all eddies from the length scale of the geometry, right down to the Kolmogorov length scales (relating to the smallest eddies within the flow). The cell wall sizes dx, dy, and dz (or "dL" for simplicity sake) of the mesh needs to be small enough to capture these smallest eddies and their flow behaviour with more than one cell.

The "proof" so to speak for the cell resolution is along these lines here... If we let:
L = Computational box of length
N = Number of grid points in one direction (x, y or z)
dL = Grid spacing
"eta" = Kolmogorov length scale
"mu" = Molecular viscosity
"epsilon" = Energy dissipation rate
u' = RMS turbulent velocity scale
For a box of length L, the number of points depends on dL:
Number of Points = Length of Domain / dL
dL must be small enough to resolve the smallest eddies, which have the length scale "eta".
dL= eta is the maximum value for dL in order to capture the smallest eddies without their flow (which may be a small vortex for example) being fully contained within one cell. If resolved properly, then you should have cells which have some sort of velocity/pressure gradient which would indicate that there was some turbulent dissipation present in that region, rather than having the whole cell kind of smudged over in one colour when you try and visualize it in a post-processor. Ideally, you would want to have dL = 0.5 * "eta" or better.
N(minimum) = L / dL(max) = L / "eta"
Now "eta" itself is defined as:
"eta" = ( "mu"^3 / "epsilon" )^(1/4)
And "epsilon" is defined as:
"epsilon" = (u' ^3 ) / L
Substituting "eta" and "epsilon" into the equation for N(minimum) gives:
N = ( u' * L / "mu" )^(3/4)
If we look closely, we can see that "u'L/mu" is a form of Reynolds Number which then means that we can extract out this relationship
N = Re^(3/4)
which if we cube both sides to go from a single dimension to three dimensions;
N^3 = Re^(9/4)
Since we stated at the start that "N" was the number of cells in one direction, N^3 can be assumed to denote the total number of cells in a domain. Hence if we know the Reynolds Number and the geometry size, we can make a rough estimate for the maximum size that dL can be and still capture all the Kolmogorov Scale flow patterns.

Just to go back to me mentioning LES models, an LES computational grid only needs a "dL" small enough to resolve the large scale flow structures; for example a separation bubble on the suction side of an aerofoil. Any flow patterns smaller than this are not solved, but rather are sort of "determined/calculated" based on a sub-grid scale (SGS) model which is built based on an assumption that beyond a certain "dL", all flow dissipation is identical no matter the geometry.

Hope this helps #-o

EDIT: I have just seen that some one posted links to websites which go through this #-o #-o #-o doh!
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

SameSame

They did but thanks for the great explanation :) You compressed the main bits of the article for this discussion brilliantly.

Tommy Cookers

Jersey Tom wrote:To think that any type of simulation is a complete replacement for physical measurement is very naive ......
for 20 years plane makers eg Boeing have made inflight studies of transition etc, the correlation enhancing the validity of wind tunnel work
so WT assurance of stability properties etc has reduced the amount of flight testing demanded by the certification authorities, saving money and time

btw there is at least one high flow quality WT that gives at 3 bar an Re around 25% of eg an A380 in flight (approach/climbout)
similarly 100% for eg the T45 Goshawk
Boeing (and previously other US customers) seem to regard activity there as money well spent
the power required for this type of work seems to be below 15 MW, ie only an order of magnitude greater than F1 tunnels

good thread though !

gixxer_drew

SR71 wrote:
Vyssion wrote:There is no doubt that eventually CFD will overtake wind tunnel testing as the best method for aerodynamic verification. Hybrid-LES turbulence models are being used at the moment in some of the top level simulation runs with several PhDs I know of looking at full LES simulations of old McLaren F1 cars and the like. DNS I feel will still be a long way away...
Vyssion wrote:The number of Cells you need must be larger than the Reynolds Number raised to the power of 9/4. So for example, if you took a 1m chord wing and flew it through normal air at about 16m/s, your Reynolds number would be about 1.06 Million. So in order to perform a DNS simulation and capture all possible flow eddies, you would need 3.6x10^13 cells (36,000,000,000,000 cells)!!!! Given that the largest simulation that I know of was solved over a million cores with a total cell count of 1.4 trillion (1.4x10^12 cells) we are still a long way off having enough computational power to know exactly what is happening...
However, with the advent of quantum computing coming to the forefront, perhaps not as far away as one may think...

You are right in that teams which own tunnels and run them will begin to pour their money into clusters and programmers, however, the difference between a simulation which is run at 2 billion cells compared to 200 million cells is only about 2x better resolution in 3D space but will require (based on the typical CFD recommendation of 1Gb RAM per 1 million cells) an additional 1.8 Tb RAM along with a huge number of additional cores in order to still get results back in similar times to the about ~3hrs it takes a 200 million cell sim to execute across 96-cores.

That gap in performance, I feel, is much less than that of the current set up where wind tunnel testing is so far ahead of the equivalent terraflops of CFD that teams which don't have as much money fall behind at a much faster rate. Given that this is going to happen anyways, I am sure that with all the development into interpolation schemes and convergence theorems that teams use currently along with just the overall optimisation of solving something over a computer, we will see F1 not only bring technology to cars but to general computing as well.
Amazing. Thanks!
In my humble opinion (as a computational aero) its a question of knowing when you should be using what tools and why. If you are still progressing in basic concepts a wind tunnel might be cumbersome and overly expensive. If you are down to super fine details and need fast ways to sweep attitudes, wind tunnel wins. Anyone trying to say they think they can cut out wind tunnel completely must have a hell of an on car test program or else some kind of "our CFD is epic" bravado!

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

gixxer_drew wrote:In my humble opinion (as a computational aero) its a question of knowing when you should be using what tools and why. If you are still progressing in basic concepts a wind tunnel might be cumbersome and overly expensive. If you are down to super fine details and need fast ways to sweep attitudes, wind tunnel wins. Anyone trying to say they think they can cut out wind tunnel completely must have a hell of an on car test program or else some kind of "our CFD is epic" bravado!
Certainly for the next 10-20yrs at least I doubt we will see anything near an all CFD switch - but I do think that someday in the distant future as new methods of solving fluid dynamics are discovered and computers become faster and faster that teams will begin to simulate those rapid sweeps before testing just a couple of special things in the real world. We currently solve about 200 million cells across about a hundred cores for a few hours so not practical now by any stretch of the imagination. But yeah totally agree that anyone claiming to be able to trust CFD as equally as (let alone more than) real world testing in the current state of affairs is delusional #-o :lol:
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

gixxer_drew

Vyssion wrote:
gixxer_drew wrote:In my humble opinion (as a computational aero) its a question of knowing when you should be using what tools and why. If you are still progressing in basic concepts a wind tunnel might be cumbersome and overly expensive. If you are down to super fine details and need fast ways to sweep attitudes, wind tunnel wins. Anyone trying to say they think they can cut out wind tunnel completely must have a hell of an on car test program or else some kind of "our CFD is epic" bravado!
Certainly for the next 10-20yrs at least I doubt we will see anything near an all CFD switch - but I do think that someday in the distant future as new methods of solving fluid dynamics are discovered and computers become faster and faster that teams will begin to simulate those rapid sweeps before testing just a couple of special things in the real world. We currently solve about 200 million cells across about a hundred cores for a few hours so not practical now by any stretch of the imagination. But yeah totally agree that anyone claiming to be able to trust CFD as equally as (let alone more than) real world testing in the current state of affairs is delusional #-o :lol:
I would say though, a lot of cars and teams CFD only is plenty good. Just not at the level of F1 or LMP1. Especially formula with rotating exposed tires, very difficult to correlate CFD. Or at least... as well as other teams are doing.

Just_a_fan

One only has to look at Virgin's results with their CFD-only F1 car.

gixxer_drew

Just_a_fan wrote:One only has to look at Virgin's results with their CFD-only F1 car.
I heard bits and pieces of what happened with that, seemed like it went wrong in so many ways.

Just_a_fan

They didn't even get the fuel tank the correct size so the rest of it... :roll:

mrluke

hardingfv32 wrote:This will not be an equalizer. The teams that spend the most money on validation activities will always have the advantage. Even at this point there are leaders/winners as far as validation is concerned.

This is a cost control pipe dream!

Brian
Agreed.

Cost control is a meaningless phrase, no team will ever spend less than their full budget. All you change is where the money gets spent.

bill shoe

Aerospace has been perfecting wind tunnels for 115 years, from the Wright brothers until today. I think it's pretty obvious that 115 years from now CFD will be superior to wind tunnels in terms of both 1. absolute performance capability and 2. cost. Really the only question is when this transition will occur, maybe 2 years or more like 20? Anyone think longer than 20 years, perhaps a rational pessimist would say 30 years? So wind tunnels are today's equivalent to buggy whips in 1880 or later.

If Manor/Virgin racing had gone out in the year 1880 and had tried to use a then-current petrol engine in a race against a horse they would have looked very stupid. But within 30 years horses had no chance. Manor got the "when" wrong, but they did not get the "what" wrong. In the broad historical arc, I don't even think they were very far off with the "when".