Good books on tyres?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Racer_D

Good books on tyres?

Hello,

what are good books on race tyres?

I would like to know more about how e.g. a Soft tyre differs in material from a Hard tyre, why a Soft tyre has more grip but degrades more - so how is a tyre made, what are the "nuts and bolts" required to make a tyre behave differently? And why tyres need a "operating window", what happens to the tyre when you work outside the window etc.?

Is there literature on that?

Jersey Tom

Re: Good books on tyres?

Eh... there's literature on it, yes - but you really need to know where to dig for it and there's not much that's accessible at an 'entry level' IMO.

Maybe something I'll write when I retire ;)

To be fair it's been a decade since I've read it but I don't recall having a favorable impression of the Haney book. In general there's lots of speculation and misinformation that floats around in racing, particularly with respect to tires.

At a more complete or comprehensive professional level, NHTSA's 'The Pneumatic Tire' is good, as is Pacejka's 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics', and there are a variety of papers out there with regard to viscoelastic polymer materials science and physics. Not much that's freely available though.

And for perspective, even after having spend a decade professionally in race tires, there are parts of 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics' I struggle to follow at times.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bigpat

Try the Carroll Smith books as well. Old technology, but sound principles all the same.
They may still be available, Engineer to Win, and Prepare to Win....

hardingfv32

Jersey Tom wrote:And for perspective, even after having spend a decade professionally in race tires, there are parts of 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics' I struggle to follow at times.
Do you struggle with it because it is not written well (poor science) or does it require scientific knowledge beyond your current set?

Brian

Brian Coat

hardingfv32 wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:And for perspective, even after having spend a decade professionally in race tires, there are parts of 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics' I struggle to follow at times.
Do you struggle with it because it is not written well (poor science) or does it require scientific knowledge beyond your current set?

Brian
Pacejka's quite mathematical isn't it?

I don't know about the rest of you but looking w-a-y back to school days, the part of my engineering education which left the deepest psychological scars was the heavy maths .. well that and the drinking, probably.

Jersey Tom

hardingfv32 wrote:

Brian
The science itself is perfectly sound. Just has what I'd consider a very academic textbook feel to it. Not the easiest self-study material.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Jolle

The Pirelli Calendar!

(Sorry, couldn't help myself :D )

Caito

Tires, Suspensions and Handling has some interesting info, IMHO.

Come back 747, we miss you!!

SectorOne

I´ve always thought of the black round things as,

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

smak

Jersey Tom wrote:Eh... there's literature on it, yes - but you really need to know where to dig for it and there's not much that's accessible at an 'entry level' IMO.

Maybe something I'll write when I retire ;)

To be fair it's been a decade since I've read it but I don't recall having a favorable impression of the Haney book. In general there's lots of speculation and misinformation that floats around in racing, particularly with respect to tires.

At a more complete or comprehensive professional level, NHTSA's 'The Pneumatic Tire' is good, as is Pacejka's 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics', and there are a variety of papers out there with regard to viscoelastic polymer materials science and physics. Not much that's freely available though.

And for perspective, even after having spend a decade professionally in race tires, there are parts of 'Tire & Vehicle Dynamics' I struggle to follow at times.
Why not write a book now, Tom? It would be helpful and it would capture some money too!

Jersey Tom

smak wrote:Why not write a book now, Tom? It would be helpful and it would capture some money too!
That it would be helpful is exactly why I'm not writing one now ;) Giving away information and competitive advantage isn't conducive to winning races / championships...

gixxer_drew

Im guessing there aren't going to be "cliff notes" for this! Just years (decades!) of study and filtering signal from the noise with expense and experimentation.

At least you can rest easy nobody is releasing a free open source tire simulation tool soon. Then the forum experts would use extremely simplified test cases then apply them to ultra complicated situations, with total certainty!

dennis h

For those of you into tires...

http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2016/04/fe ... lling.html

dennis h

TVirus72

dennis h wrote:For those of you into tires...

http://mccabism.blogspot.com/2016/04/fe ... lling.html

dennis h
That was a fun read, thanks for the link.