Which tire squeals first?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Caito

Which tire squeals first?

Hi guys!

Quick question, let's say we take a turn with our everyday car, a little bit fast and we hear some squealing.

Which tire is the one squaling? Is it the unloaded one (I'd guess front inside), or the loaded one?

Cheers!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

Paul

Re: Which tire squeals first?

The unloaded one is probably already in the air :mrgreen: so it's the loaded one.

godlameroso

Depends.
Saishū kōnā

Jolle

The one that is about to loose traction, so the one with load.

Phil

I second Jolle. The one under load. No load = no sound. (IMO)
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

The tires are usually always under some load except in extreme circumstances though so that's not pedantically accurate.
Saishū kōnā

ChrisDanger

Jolle wrote:The one that is about to loose traction, so the one with load.
Usually the unloaded inside locks first under braking. There's no reason why the situation would be different laterally.

Jolle

ChrisDanger wrote:
Usually the unloaded inside locks first under braking. There's no reason why the situation would be different laterally.
Then retract the last part.

The tire that is loosing traction, or is moving in a different direction then the tarmac is the one squealing.

thisisatest

The unloaded tire may slide, but it might not squeal. The one with the load is getting the energy necessary to create the noise.

ChrisDanger

Jolle wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
Then retract the last part.

The tire that is loosing traction, or is moving in a different direction then the tarmac is the one squealing.
No, I think you're right. I'm also retracting the last part of my message. It's down to slip angle. Under braking the front tyres can have different slip angles; during cornering not so much. So under cornering I think both the loaded outside pair and the unloaded inside pair slip equally, and both squeal at a certain slip angle, but the loaded tyres are working harder so generate more noise, like thisisatest said.

Phil

godlameroso wrote:The tires are usually always under some load except in extreme circumstances though so that's not pedantically accurate.
I didn't mean to suggest that there is no load under either tyre. That is of course correct. The point was to illustrate that the squealing is caused by load and energy and friction. If the inner wheel lifts because the weight is transferred to the outside, there is little load on the inside tyre. Yes it might lock and it might generate noise (by the friction and lock) but IMO that is not the 'squealing' (e.g. the high pitched sound) that the topic title is referring to. That one is caused by the tyre under the most load and from my understanding would be caused by the outer tyre.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Formula Wrong

Phil wrote:
godlameroso wrote:The tires are usually always under some load except in extreme circumstances though so that's not pedantically accurate.
I didn't mean to suggest that there is no load under either tyre. That is of course correct. The point was to illustrate that the squealing is caused by load and energy and friction. If the inner wheel lifts because the weight is transferred to the outside, there is little load on the inside tyre. Yes it might lock and it might generate noise (by the friction and lock) but IMO that is not the 'squealing' (e.g. the high pitched sound) that the topic title is referring to. That one is caused by the tyre under the most load and from my understanding would be caused by the outer tyre.
I agree; though the inside tyre shouldn't generate any noise if it's completely lifted off the ground.
Here's a slow-motion footage of a small rallye car (Opel Adam; very similar to your everyday road car); everything goes exactly the way you described it:
The rear tyres lock up, the inside one is being lifted into the air while the outside tyre is sliding on the ground, which would create a squealing noise. The front tyres don't lock up in this case because it's a front-wheel drive, but the left front tyre would probably squeal as well. So it's the tyres that most load is on that start squealing.
If you no longer go for the space someone always has to leave, you're no longer a racing driver

mrluke

The short answer is the one with the greatest amount of slip.

There won't be a hard and fast rule which tyres that is because you might be braking (front tyres) you could be Rwd and accelerating with an open diff (inside rear) or a fixed diff (outside rear), lots of different reasons to have tyre slip.