Question about F1 bodywork and composite chassis

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
firasf1dream

Question about F1 bodywork and composite chassis

hello everyone,
i hope you all doing well

i would like please to ask about the bodywork in F1, referring to this link https://farm1.staticflickr.com/625/2166 ... 663b_o.jpg
is the bodywork in red a shell that is put on the chassis to form the airbox and sidepods the way we see them ?
i mean is the cockpit made alone without the airbox with some big thickness and then the cockpit is covered (glued) with a shell of let's say 2mm of carbon forming the aerodynamic surface package in contact with the air ?

thank you all in advance :)

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Re: Question about F1 bodywork and composite chassis

The monocoque is formed from a female mould where there are inserts which are drilled and bonded into the carbon which then the rest of the car is bolted together into, but all of it is designed to break to absorb energy when in a crash. Only the survival cell is designed to not crumple and there are strict rules about the strength of the tub.

F1 Technical Regulations 2017 wrote:Bodywork may deflect no more than 5mm vertically when a 4000N load is applied vertically to it at three different points which lie on the car centre line and 100mm either side of it. Each of these loads will be applied in an upward direction at a point 480mm rearward of the front wheel centre line using a 50mm diameter ram in the two outer locations and a 70mm diameter ram on the car centre line
The survival cell must also be subjected to five separate static load tests :
1) On a vertical plane passing through the centre of the fuel tank.
2) On a vertical plane passing through the rearmost point at which the outer end of the forward-most front wheel tether would make contact with the survival cell when swung about the inner attachment.
3) From beneath the fuel tank.
4) On each side of the cockpit opening.
5) From beneath the cockpit floor.
Details of the test procedures may be found in Article 18.2, 18.3, 18.4 and 18.5.
Principal roll structure test :
A load equivalent to 50kN laterally, 60kN longitudinally in a rearward direction and 90kN vertically, must be applied to the top of the structure through a rigid flat pad which is 200mm in diameter and perpendicular to the loading axis. During the test, the roll structure must be attached to the survival cell which is supported on its underside on a flat plate, fixed to it through its engine mounting points and wedged laterally by any of the static load test pads described in Article 18.2.

Secondary roll structure test :
A vertical load of 75kN must be applied to the top of the structure through a rigid flat pad which is 100mm in diameter and perpendicular to the loading axis. The loading axis must be aligned with the highest point of the structure. During the test, the rollover structure must be attached to the survival cell which is fixed to a flat horizontal plate.
So yes, everything you see around the "cockpit" is bolted to this survival cell - everything is structural in some way (even the engine and gearbox).
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

firasf1dream

Vyssion wrote:The monocoque is formed from a female mould where there are inserts which are drilled and bonded into the carbon which then the rest of the car is bolted together into, but all of it is designed to break to absorb energy when in a crash. Only the survival cell is designed to not crumple and there are strict rules about the strength of the tub.

So yes, everything you see around the "cockpit" is bolted to this survival cell - everything is structural in some way (even the engine and gearbox).
thank you Vyssion about the reply, yes i have read the regulation, but my question was about the airbox, and sidepods parts that are close to the cockpit, here are pictures in which i show what i mean. The first pic is the surviving cell monocoque and the second is the monocoque in final shape, so the monocoque is made as it is in the first picture and then covered with a shell of let's say 2mm with the shape of the functional aerodynamic bodywork which is bonded to the carbon sandwiched surviving cell ?

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Vyssion wrote:So yes, everything you see around the "cockpit" is bolted to this survival cell - everything is structural in some way (even the engine and gearbox).
Already answered that question here mate - everything you see that is "painted" is a shell around the structural components. Obviously it is aerodynamically optimized, but its bolted to the structural pieces via inserts in the survival cell and other framework.
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

firasf1dream

Vyssion wrote:
Vyssion wrote:So yes, everything you see around the "cockpit" is bolted to this survival cell - everything is structural in some way (even the engine and gearbox).
Already answered that question here mate - everything you see that is "painted" is a shell around the structural components. Obviously it is aerodynamically optimized, but its bolted to the structural pieces via inserts in the survival cell and other framework.
ah ok perfect so to make the design, engineers take into consideration around 2mm for the aerodynamic shell and paint when they make the cockpit right ? so they build 2 cockpit shape moulds: 1 for the surviving cell and 1 for the shell covering it ?

and are the holes made in the cockpit for suspensions and else drilled into the structure or made with the plug ? (as we know in composite mechanics that a hole would create fissures in the fibers )

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

firasf1dream wrote:ah ok perfect so to make the design, engineers take into consideration around 2mm for the aerodynamic shell and paint when they make the cockpit right ? so they build 2 cockpit shape moulds: 1 for the surviving cell and 1 for the shell covering it ?

and are the holes made in the cockpit for suspensions and else drilled into the structure or made with the plug ? (as we know in composite mechanics that a hole would create fissures in the fibers )
They make the survival cell and then take the aerodynamic surfacing that they aerodynamicists design and create pieces of it formed on moulds. The thickness of the carbon is considered when making the moulds yes, as any mould maker will tell you that you lose size when use the mould. There are holes which house suspension strut ends, dampers, intertial dampers etc. which protrude through the exterior panels, whilst bits that need to mount to the survival cell are bolted with inserts.

#aerosaruman

firasf1dream

Vyssion wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:ah ok perfect so to make the design, engineers take into consideration around 2mm for the aerodynamic shell and paint when they make the cockpit right ? so they build 2 cockpit shape moulds: 1 for the surviving cell and 1 for the shell covering it ?

They make the survival cell and then take the aerodynamic surfacing that they aerodynamicists design and create pieces of it formed on moulds. The thickness of the carbon is considered when making the moulds yes, as any mould maker will tell you that you lose size when use the mould. There are holes which house suspension strut ends, dampers, intertial dampers etc. which protrude through the exterior panels, whilst bits that need to mount to the survival cell are bolted with inserts.
ok and about inserts you mean, a hole which already is made in the mould lets say we need a final hole of 10mm. they create a hole in the mould of 13mm, and then insert a cylinder of 13mm outer diameter and 10mm inner diameter with thread in it and they glue it to the composite with epoxy ?

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

firasf1dream wrote:ok and about inserts you mean, a hole which already is made in the mould lets say we need a final hole of 10mm. they create a hole in the mould of 13mm, and then insert a cylinder of 13mm outer diameter and 10mm inner diameter with thread in it and they glue it to the composite with epoxy ?
Something like that yes. They may change the insert/bonding method/size of it all on a case by case basis but thats the general idea. That is where my expertise ends unfortunately as I'm on the design side rather than manufacturing!! :lol:

#aerosaruman

firasf1dream

Vyssion wrote:
firasf1dream wrote:ok and about inserts you mean, a hole which already is made in the mould lets say we need a final hole of 10mm. they create a hole in the mould of 13mm, and then insert a cylinder of 13mm outer diameter and 10mm inner diameter with thread in it and they glue it to the composite with epoxy ?
Something like that yes. They may change the insert/bonding method/size of it all on a case by case basis but thats the general idea. That is where my expertise ends unfortunately as I'm on the design side rather than manufacturing!! :lol:
hehe ok so no idea about what kind of adhesive might be used to bond the metal to fiberglass or carbon fiber ?

PhillipM

They're usually actually sandwiched between the layers of carbon.

firasf1dream

PhillipM wrote:They're usually actually sandwiched between the layers of carbon.
hi PhillipM, which ones you mean sandwiched ?

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

PhillipM wrote:They're usually actually sandwiched between the layers of carbon.
Hehehe oopsies --- I remember seeing some inserts in the carbon. but yeah this just proves that I should stick to aero stuff :mrgreen:

#aerosaruman