2017 F1 T Wing

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
roon
roon

Re: Mercedes T Wing

Redirecting a portion of the airflow in proximity to the rear wing would't alter the amount of air passing over the rear wing. I think they're flow straighteners, which also produce some downforce in their own right. There was a comment sourced from Merc, in one of the other threads, where they said they found that the T-wing performed the same function as a shark fin. What could they mean by this?

Well, the shark fin operates as a big flow straightener or conditioner. And no I'm not talking about hair products. Although McLaren just taped a curler in front of their rear tire...
https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/8 ... 9752849408 I think Merc took the shark wing concept, rotated it 90°, and gave it a wing profile. Presto, flow conditioning plus some extra downforce. They're having their cake and eating it, too.

bhall II
bhall II

Remember that air flow is in 3D; if you redirect one streamline, you redirect all streamlines around it.

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

bhall II wrote:Now that I've seen the Williams version, I submit that T-wings reduce downforce coefficient at high speeds.
Ooooooooh!!!! I didnt see the little T wing there underneath!!! Yeah I would have to agree with you on what they do now I see that #-o :D
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

PhillipM
PhillipM

I think the Williams one is there to do the same as the Merc - they're going to use a chimney opening and have it loft air out well clear of the rear wing, hence why they're both highly cambered and a different philosophy to the Ferrari one.

oetger

Double T-Wing

roon
roon

SOON

APvortex723

Long time lurker and finally decided to make an account.

Still trying to figure this out myself. But it looks like for the Williams solution, the two wings could be doing different functions but utilizing the same loophole in the regs. Where the top one could be to reduce drag at higher speed ,as bhall said, but the lower one could simply be for flow conditioning to the diffuser area.

Im wondering if drs could be involved in the design of the t-wing

EDIT: Just to add, I wonder if it is to create an little more upwash prior to the wing thus allowing a little less AoA on the rear wing and thus reduced drag. Its a stretch but Im at the point to where I might just run a CFD on it to get a general idea of what they are doing. (Won't be exact)
MSc Aerospace Engineering, Concentration: Aerodynamics
Georgia Institute of Technology
Goal to be F1 aerodynamicist

Skip Barber Race Series Driver

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Well.... we called it... :lol:
Two levels so far - 3 next? Maybe once we defeat a boss on element 3, we can unlock element 4??!!

"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

roon
roon

Remember when Williams tested this last year?

Coincidence?

Huntresa
Huntresa

Actually it looks like a coincidence since the rule change that unlocked the gap for the T-wing wasnt in the 2017 regulations until late fall in 2016. And the in season testing took place during spring/summer of 2016.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Would it be possible to have exits in the side of the exhaust and a wings low down but in the same reference plane as the T-wing that direct exhaust gas out over the diffuser?

I've a feeling that the exhausts rules prevent it but wonder if there's anything to exploit there?

Mr.G

Shouldn't we call this just T-wing? I know it was first seen on the Mercedes but it wasn't obviously the only team who came with this idea.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

turbof1

Mr.G wrote:Shouldn't we call this just T-wing? I know it was first seen on the Mercedes but it wasn't obviously the only team who came with this idea.
I call it the T-wing all the time. It's the name that it was given from the beginning and just stuck around.
#AeroFrodo

Mr.G

It was meant for the topic name.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ojlopez
ojlopez

Mercedes just leaked its T Wing for next test :D